Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. I thought you were a bit older, at least in the ICQ generation
  2. By using pidgin you had for foresight not to get locked in the first place.
  3. Strange how it works with different generations. Everyone my age seems to use google chat video.
  4. Heck, even Google apps does this! It's been in LibreOffice for some time now. What I'd like to know more about wrt office (we only have a nominal number of Office installs) is its reported ability to save in ODF 1.2 and OOXML strict. Is OOXML strict the default? can you make strict the default ? what about old documents, does it save them in OOXML strict? It has important implications given recent govt strategy: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/Open-Standards-Principles-FINAL.pdf
  5. had me in stitches that Extircom doesn't get any (wireless) coverage.
  6. It used to be amazingly popular with kids back in the day. I guess it just can't keep up with the mobile/camera/xbox generation. Good call on MS for acquiring skype.
  7. I would thoroughly recommend you speak with the guys at Switchshop. Switchshop : independent specialist provider of IT network equipment solutions 01438 831870
  8. its ok. It's fixed now. The license here: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Photoshop_On_a_Server_Policy_5-31-2011.pdf is significantly different to the CS2 or whatever version that said NO to citrix TS environments. I guess this would exclude home access though.
  9. If I could find it.... The OP in the other thread obviously did I don't have CS6, is it in the license agreement?
  10. I helped a student connect an £80 7" polaroid tablet to our network today. Her friend, who had an ipad2 came along (it was before school) and they duly noted that there wasn't "anything" that the £400 ipad could do that the £80 android couldn't. These are teenage girls, so they probably don't do much more than FB, youtube and a bit of internet...? The Polaroid could handle video, and writing google apps documents.(IIRC it has 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM on android 4). It did feel VERY flimsy. Coincidentally my boss brought in her £160 Nexus 7. The difference in quality and speed is noticeable. I would spend £160 on a Nexus 7, but no way would spend double that on an ipad or windows device.
  11. THis might be a good option for running Python etc: Gate One | Liftoff Software (press esc)
  12. WRT Adobe products and Terminal Servers or VDI - I had the impression (past licenses) explicitly excluded CS variants from running this way. More on this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/thin-client-virtual-machines/96745-adobe-cs6-does-not-support-vdi.html Have they changed the licensing policy or are you just running it outside of their T+C's - I'd be grateful if someone could point to an update on their policy.
  13. New record. A yr10 girl just brought in a 7" Polaroid android tablet. It cost £80 Connected instantly to wi-fi and immediately synchronised all of her schoolwork (google docs), her email and her calendar.
  14. Your safer to let others do it first, then upgrade 12months later once they have blogged their mistakes and MS have patched theirs.
  15. Best to show them the VLE, the well structured courses and the plethora of resources the teachers have shared
  16. Android 4.2 has multi user capabilities, policies distributed by Googls apps and Nexus 7 costs half that of an ipad. It hardly blows android out of the water.
  17. The first were Vertex 2 and the second were Agility3. Our Agility 3 were pretty bad but when replaced they have been fine so I suspect its down to the firmware on them. Intel and crucial all the way now though...
  18. Our failure rate was much higher than that - 10% on the first batch and 30% on the second. I think OCZ did have some serious firmware issues at that time and it was pretty shoddy - but they replaced them really fast and the replacements have been fine.
  19. We put our cctv on a vlan, but I did it more for security reasons. The core switch doesn't route between the networks and it is done at the firewall level to make sure only dedcated clients have access. As to whether it really speeds things up, probably, but its good practice keeping things in logical networks - it helps with fault finding and protects the cameras from errors on other networks.
  20. Intersting because we put in 2x 5500G's to our media suit with 2x10GB uplinks to th A5800 core! It was a bit overkill for now, but we had the 5500's left over from to upgrade to A5800 and the near edge was already running 4800G's
  21. THIS is how to do it !
  22. My experience with 3Com/H3C/HP is to ALWAYS work on the command line. Certainly on the 3com/HP equipment, it almost never works as advertised. You won't notice the details on a web interface like you would on CLI (such as peculiarities with the web interface) and it's more difficult to do bulk operations.
  23. I'd go for gas mark 9 for 15min It shouldn't melt anything as long as you remove any components that are likely to melt. the plastic parts on the board are designed to withstand high temperatures (part of the process of soldering them in the first place). Orientation of the capacitor shouldn't matter as long as it has a good connection. I would also swap out the PSU before you bother to try this!
  24. It could be something like dry solder joints on the board or PSU that only work when expanded by heat. I'd try re-soldering it by putting the motherboard in an oven at high temp for 15min.
×
×
  • Create New...