CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
it is nice to see them drag up some old technology to keep up. MS are so far behind the curve now I wonder why anyone bothers with them. I suppose the answer is in the sales figures, everyone is moving to android and apple.
-
Just like bootable USB Linux, which has been around since as long as I can remember USB being around. Nice of MS to have caught up on that one. Apparently they read ISO9660 too!
-
Thanks - I couldn't see any calender integration though.
-
I'd like an equivalent of Tasker if you happen to know what it is. I was in a meeting with a teacher who's iphone rang, so I simply said why ont turn the ringer off when in a meeting - how do you do that ? easy on my android, I can turn loads of things on or off depending upon the circumstances, location, apps running etc. I promised I could find something on ios, but i've not been able to.
-
IBM Bladeservers have a standard internal USB slot for virtual images. I think ESX hypervisor images are circa £150 or something equally stupid direct from IBM. Alternatively a £5 usb stick and a free download works pretty well for a hypervisor!
-
Thats the one. The old servers before we put in the new i7's Theres not much to tell really. We are now mounting the boards on Lian-Li PC60 ATX motherboard Trays from KustomPC's. The PSU's are bog standard, but reasonabbly good ones. The SSD's are Intel 330 series 60GB The Motherboards are Intel DX79TO The RAM is 8* Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 The processors are Intel® Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz The ATX trays are secured onto rackmount trays The power buttons and HDD strays are from old Lenovo cases. rackmount trays go into an old compaq chassis. Images are made from FOG sysprep, install software remotely, add to farm We can build them in about an hour if we do three at a time.
-
I was expecting it to end with the kids getting cut in two.Too bad.
-
That was pretty much it. We've done an upgrade this year. Now we have 10 servers with quad Intel® Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz and 32GB RAM and intel SSD's. Each one easily takes 30-40 connections and the whole citrix 'farm' costs less than £5000 (excluding licenses). btw, it's in an air conditioned cupboard in an ex-compaq rack.
-
A web forum with each post moderated before it is published. Google groups for example.
-
[android tablet] Google I/O - Nexus Tablet - Thoughts ?
CyberNerd replied to rich_tech's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Luckily it is open source. An official update may not be possible as you point out, but there will be updates. -
[android tablet] Google I/O - Nexus Tablet - Thoughts ?
CyberNerd replied to rich_tech's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
This is a significant development for schools. -
It should be fine for staff then. Infact it's not too different from from the asus linux netbooks of 2007. In 6 months time it won't just be the shills on this forum extolling the virtues of window 8, if your a MS shop then you have to go this way- like it or not.
-
Do you use Google Chrome on your curriculum computers?
CyberNerd replied to laserblazer's topic in Windows
lol snap -
Do you use Google Chrome on your curriculum computers?
CyberNerd replied to laserblazer's topic in Windows
yes. you can set the enterprise web store url in the adm policies on windows, mac and linux Use Chrome policy templates - Google Apps Help list of policies Policy List - The Chromium Projects -
Do you use Google Chrome on your curriculum computers?
CyberNerd replied to laserblazer's topic in Windows
We have a google apps site, so chrome was a natural choice and it is installed site wide, but so is FF. -
We have these in the walls of our IT suites, its paper rather than electronic and its for year seven. Infact one yr7 homework is to name and explain 30 file extensions. Unfortunately most of our Staff are not trained to yr7 ICT level.
-
Google apps has a resource booking system. MRBS is free and can be extended to book equipment such as computers and minibuses instead of rooms.
-
Pretty fly for a WiFi
-
Cisco ASA here. It's been great and definitely gets my vote.
-
Al device for a fraction of the price with a Citrix connection seems to be winning strategy then...
-
That's not really an advantage then. The reason windows is/was good is because of its apps. There is a serious shortage of functional educational metro apps for RT which really makes it less functional than an ipad which is "wholly unsuitable and the worst possible idea you could come up with."
-
^ we used to do precisely this in the olden days of exchange and zimbra. Student email would relay to zimbra and staff to exchange. We used the relay for this purpose and for virus/spam scanning. We used Postfix (and MailScanner) as Geoff suggested
