Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Michael

    Papercut Query

    Hi all, I've configured some automated/scheduled reports in Papercut and when I run this manually it's OK, but in the example e-mail O365 reports "fraud detection" and possible spoofing which is great it's right to detect it's an automated e-mail, but how can I authorise/whitelist this? It's simply configured as [email protected] Any suggestions would be welcome
  2. Indeed you can do this! Why Microsoft haven't done this natively is just beyond me!
  3. Trust me when I say I have many years of experience and I lost many hours trying to get it to work I don't think anyone (even on Edugeek) has demonstrated a working/consistent method you can deploy with an image, but also easily change the layout once machines are deployed. For example, you have numerous Office 2016 shortcuts, but then how easy will it be to replace/update these with Office 2018/19 shortcuts when it arrives? With Classic Shell it's very straight forward and consistent.
  4. Yes - it's problematic on all builds of Windows 10; which is why Classic Shell is very preferable.
  5. The Toshiba C50 will boot off USB flash, but that's about it. It won't do Optical or PXE boot.
  6. I did look at the Win 10 November 2015 release, but it's a waste of time in my opinion. Redstone with the current November 2016 update is very fast in testing
  7. Started re-imaging from Win 10 (original release) to Redstone. Redstone's much better, faster and more optimised.
  8. I agree with the above, don't delete the array. This will wipe out the configuration and the good disk (and its contents). Simply remove the faulty drive and add it to the existing array when prompted. The server will then re-build.
  9. You'll probably have less trouble deploying in a user context rather than computer. I'm speculating that after a reboot the printers re-appear?
  10. I've just tried it myself and I can navigate C:\ in Edge however if I tried to create a folder I'm asked for admin credentials. Although not perfect, I don't consider it a security risk. It's just the way Microsoft have designed Edge, but as I said above, leaving it enabled outweighs it being disabled in my opinion.
  11. Yep I agree 100% as I apply the same rules/policies.
  12. On newer versions of Win 10 (Redstone), Edge is greatly improved, but also acts as the default PDF viewer. This of course removes the need for a third party solution from Adobe or other, but also as part of Microsoft patch cycles, Edge updates are also included. It makes more sense to leave Edge enabled rather than disabled. Access to C:\ be it in 'read mode' shouldn't be a problem and access to Powershell.exe can easily be restricted using Group Policy/Software Restriction Policy. As far as I'm aware there's isn't a traditional/native Group Policy for Powershell as there is the Command Prompt, but I might be wrong on this!
  13. I believe it'll download anything to 'Downloads' be it locally or re-directed with Folder Redirection.
  14. Yes it does, but I would also approach Applocker with caution. If (for example), you block a lot of the Apps (such as Photos or Edge) and then later enable them, it doesn't do so gracefully, so you end up having to re-install the OS.
  15. Is it any less secure than accessing cloud based e-mail we've used for years? I think enforcing strong passwords is the way to go, with optional 2FA.
  16. You can already disable Flash in Windows 8 or Windows 10 if you're brave enough - User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Features > Add-on Management - Turn off Flash in Internet Explorer... Hopefully Microsoft would introduce a new GPO so we can make exceptions, a bit like Java, but then I wonder why Java isn't being canned also. It's worse than Flash in my opinion!
  17. I agree, but the OP didn't mention anything about Exchange. I'm guessing the existing mail client is something third party that supports PST export (as do most applications).
  18. Yep same thing here too, so don't worry! I suspect it'll be fixed when Redstone 2 is released early 2017.
  19. From what you're saying yes, as I'd expect e-mails to be stored in Inbox typically. I presume when you open/import into Outlook 2016 this is what happens? It may be a bit of work, but by importing into Outlook 2016, you can quickly bulk move e-mails into Inbox, then sync it back to the required O365 account in the cloud.
  20. Michael

    Switch Advice

    I have plenty of HP 25xx's working happily and would highly recommend. Most these days come with a lifetime warranty too.
  21. No matter how you look at it, having everything in the cloud is going to require huge bandwidth at each site. A 1Gb lease line is still pretty expensive - it's still currently more cost effective to have servers in-house, be it a single forest, separate domains or even a single forest single domain configuration. Personally I still think MPLS is the way to go; it's your private network so you can do as you please, whereas SD-WAN is somewhat more complicated, especially from a security point of view, site to site VPN or other is recommended. You could debate that implementing a 100Mb PTP configuration would centralise the Trust's requirements with servers at each site. In time as prices come down, on site servers are then replaced with 1Gb PTP with everything centralised. That's not to say you can't have 'some' functionality in the cloud, but everything in the cloud just isn't viable in practice in my experience. Schools are pretty unique in the sense of a group of pupils will all logon or all access a resource at once, whereas in a Business environment, everyone generally works independently. You'll see less traffic surges and it's something that's difficult to avoid in an Educational environment.
  22. I'd agree just go for school.co.uk and avoid anything.local.
  23. I agree, it doesn't make financial sense and there are more pros to hosted rather than hosting yourself in my professional opinion. But that's just it, it's my opinion.
  24. You do realise the majority of suppliers are using BT networks aren't you?
×
×
  • Create New...