Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. It depends which angle you look at it - one less separate application, as Powershell can emulate Command Prompt commands. Does this mean a smaller footprint for attack? Not really in this context. I suppose it would hold more water if the Command Prompt was unsecure, but I wouldn't say it is. It processes what it's given, including credentials embedded in the script for example. This is probably more so the unsecure element including a password in clear text.
  2. Microsoft probably could though - typing in Command Prompt commands do work in Powershell, such as 'dir' for example.
  3. Create a GPP regedit and it'll work.
  4. You haven't applied the December 9th patch have you? It breaks DHCP, may explain why.
  5. You sure it's not DNS?
  6. Can't help but notice Microsoft regularly seem to release duff updates, the last time was in October 2016... moral of the story, leave it at least a week or even longer!
  7. It appears only Redstone has had 2 x December updates released, as builds 1507 and 1511 have only had the one. Fortunately I've deployed neither, given there's days until the end of term. Will wait for January's update.
  8. There is that, or simply move with the times and move to a modern MIS MIS systems don't come into my mind when looking at applications that are widely used on a daily basis, considering Microsoft are quite open with release schedules.
  9. Office 2016 = Business/Education use Office 365 = Home use Office 2016 is designed to be deployed to large numbers of devices, using the same MAK/KMS key, whereas Office 365 isn't, it's much more personalised. Even as an experienced user, I probably use around 25% of Word's full functionality. I'd rather end users have a version which remains the same, until next big Office upgrade, say Office 2018/19 etc... otherwise end users could be using different versions, which is problematic in terms of support.
  10. On newer builds, Edge is the default, however I remove any direct shortcuts to it. I predetermine IE/Chrome shortcuts on redirected Desktops. Edge is used for PDFs and that's about it. It still lacks some GPOs which have otherwise been available with IE for years. Not sure if the issue of Edge importing Favourites from a redirected location is still an issue for example?
  11. Never seen that happen before, unless you have a HTML or link to a page set to appear at Startup.
  12. In the end I found a better solution to this until Microsoft improve Edge some more - Open a Google Chrome browser window, then open Explorer containing some PDFs. Drag/drop the PDF into Chrome, then press Ctrl+Shift+P for Windows's own more advanced Print options, rather than Chrome's basic options (similar to Edge). From here you can print a Booklet without the need for Acrobat Reader installed. Hope this helps someone else!
  13. I came across another issue today - Intel HD 4600 Graphics on Redstone, the installed driver - 10.18.15.4248 it completely freezes/locks up the computer and the dmp files confirm so. Another Microsoft disaster!
  14. Tom's very helpful and knowledgeable, so if he doesn't know, no one knows about NetSupport DNA I'm amazed it's taken this long to develop a PCE client that doesn't require Java...!
  15. Why won't it last if they've replaced the switch (presumably)?
  16. Or more to the point being a business service, it should be constantly monitored. You do get this kind of service without looking too hard
  17. Apparently a large chunk of BGfL is down this morning and they're investigating.
  18. It's good, but it's never been an issue either... The retention policies in O365 are good and can be extended (if necessary), so I don't see why you'd need to start backing up Mailboxes. Onsite Exchange servers is of course important to backup.
  19. Well I've searched articles online and they say to change the source in Sound/Audio properties, but only the one analog option is available (or in other words) the 3.5" headphone jack, despite the audio card being labelled a digital audio device; it's definitely not the HDMI source. Tried updating both Intel and Realtek drivers and no joy. Had this happen twice now, two different systems.
  20. Hmmm think I may have to eat my own words here! Windows 10 Redstone installs driver version 3.0.2.201 and you're right, will only see 2.4GHz. If I then install driver version 10.0.0.341 (downloaded from Atheros's website), it will connect to 5GHz! This was never an issue on the original Windows 10 July 2015 build! I've had another similar issue with Redstone too, (also appears driver related). Since deploying Redstone, audio over HDMI no longer works, but it did with the original build. Anyone else experienced this?
  21. Ahh yes of course, another brilliant decision by Apple to remove everything bar 2 x USB ports. I suspect 'NAT' is your virtual switch, then you specify the adapter of your choosing, in this case the onboard WiFi, then give it a label of some kind. Then you specify your labelled onboard WiFi, which forms is the actual Bridge. That's my understanding.
  22. Would you mind how much it was? PM if you like.
  23. Interesting - did you consider the S14, with optional 10Gb links? Or was the price simply out this world?
  24. Which Smoothwall unit did you go for, catering for how many users, if you don't mind me asking?
  25. I don't mind being shot down, the point is if you don't ask you don't know. As I say, Hyper V solves problems but then creates problems. Be interesting to actually talk to someone who's restored a Hyper V configuration (the actual host and more), but it's interesting that most (it appears) operate a clustered approach, rather than a standalone configuration - it makes sense but then the initial costs are probably high... Again it's one of those situations where you question is buying 2 'super' clustered servers the way to go, or you could possibly buy 5/6 more reasonably priced servers?
×
×
  • Create New...