Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Same here!
  2. Not had any issues, but on locally hosted not remote hosted. Remote hosted could anything - SQL database version, hardware problems, Windows Update problems. I wonder also on the type of hardware/management - presumably a VPS of some kind so you're segregated from all other schools? If it's all on one massive/powerful host, definitely not how I'd do it.
  3. The old (working) way of creating a redirected Start Menu folder worked fine - we can still do this for redirected Desktops. This is why in combination with GPOs, Classic Shell works really well!
  4. I've setup a number of schools using MS Exchange (O365) and G Suite, primarily for Google Drive and Google Classroom. Users are provisioned from O365 > G Suite from Azure. I still think MS Exchange has the edge over Gmail in my opinion. Everything else is subjective really and down to preference.
  5. If I was in a position whereby a school is encouraged, I'd seriously consider/ask what is the value add being part of the same tenancy? How will it impact the learning in the classroom day to day? Schools will be bundled together which will never have anything to do with each other - probably because of distance and catchment areas. And in the context of everything online, doing everything together isn't always a good thing. Imagine the tenancy was hijacked in some capacity - it'd affect thousands of pupils and staff.
  6. This kinds of reminds me of some English LAs, with a one size fits all approach. It was powered using Groupcall IdaaS and this also allowed delegation of some functions, but no where near as good or as fast as a native O365 tenancy. Was it slow - yes extremely and the interface extremely clunky.
  7. Very similar to what I spec, just smaller capacities generally.
  8. Migrate Documents data to Google My Drive? All accessible via the App.
  9. I came across another issue with 20H2 recently also - completely unrelated, but no matter what I tried, SMB1 is broken despite being enabled and all other network/file/print settings enabled. Computer says no!
  10. I believe you can change it from S mode to 'Normal' mode.
  11. If it's wired devices also, again on a different VLAN, then I'd say a potential switching problem. I don't know anything about Zyxel switches, so no idea what level of management you have on them. Basics of course are to reboot switches out of hours to see if it clears the issue.
  12. Another aspect to check is whether it's connecting to a different AP, seeing as it's wireless. This could well be a switching/VLAN issue if you've set it to Google DNS manually as a test.
  13. This comes across more of a DNS issue or possibly even VLAN. Be interesting to see when you have a problematic device, which DNS server it's resolving first.
  14. Thanks for the update - users my end received the March 2021 update mainly from home (working on notebooks) over Easter so again WUfB is proving to be robust. I agree that the above updates are more essential for very large environments.
  15. These kind of questions should have been asked at the procurement stage. I take it you weren't made part of these discussions?
  16. *** Speculating *** They're just changing the singular Unifi Pro so it includes no PoE injector. Packs of 3 and 5 don't include a PoE injector anyway. Looking at the specs of the U6 and U6 LR, these are direct replacements for the current Lite and LR - there's no replacement for the Pro as yet. Very few devices still support WiFi 6 anyway, so I'd still continue with the existing Pro's which go up to AC.
  17. I'd say so, but generally I only bought packs of 5 which include no PoE injectors anyway. Definitely a good decision, even for singular purchases. My only other observation this month, is I updated to the 6.1.71 controller and the new interface is **** but thankfully you can revert back to the classic interface. I wouldn't mind, but half the functionality isn't visible in the new interface. I've also observed Unifi Lite's are being offered a firmware upgrade to 5.43.35.12698, with Unifi Pro's still on 4.3.28.11361. It appears the firmware versions have been aligned with Unifi switches.
  18. Michael

    Pub

    What's a Pub? Think I need to enrol on a course how to order a pint
  19. I'm going to resurrect this discussion, as I have a similar question (now in 2021). Supporting a school using Facility and ePortal, with ePortal operating over SSL and Windows Server up-to-date. As far as I can tell however, there's no password complexity enforcement options in ePortal and the directory structure refers to Tomcat and IIS. IIS security is obviously going to be covered under Windows, but what about Tomcat? I know little about it, but I can see tomcat8.exe is the main executable that ePortal utilises, with the latest version (looking online) being Tomcat 10. The timestamp of tomcat8.exe is September 2019. What do you do if you run a similar setup? And is this at any particular risk? All the relevant firewall rules are in place, yet ePortal (per design) is still accessible over HTTPS publicly.
  20. I haven't observed this exact issue, but lately I have observed anomalies. I'm then met with the default/classic response 'no one else has reported these issues'. It's these kind of replies which influence decisions when renewing with providers.
  21. Presumably DNS is all in order? And I presume also the schema was updated on Server 2012 to accommodate Server 2019? I still prefer to do things this way. Another thing to rule out is firewall - should be perfectly fine to disable on the LAN.
  22. There were issues with early versions of iOS 14, but iOS 14.4 is absolutely fine with Ubiquiti.
  23. All I can advise is the 6.0.45 controller and the 4.3.28.11361 firmware on AC Pro and AC Lite are absolutely fine, very little issues to report on. I haven't tested the 6.1.71 controller as yet, I have no reason to. The only other suggestion is create another SSID which is 2.4GHz only and see if this works with the Chromebooks.
  24. I've been asked to specify the proxy: ad.quantum.exa-networks.co.uk Port: 3128 If this works, it kind of reminds me of the BGfL days...
×
×
  • Create New...