Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TronXP

Members
  • Posts

    689
  • Joined

Everything posted by TronXP

  1. We have a second logon at our school, (not for much longer) the current proxy filter (I inherited it) server, will not talk to NetWare servers no matter what and the company don't care, so I now have permission to buy a new proxy server and the company promises it will intergrate through LDAP perfectly with Netware!
  2. what computer/laptop is it? or what motherboard is it. Normally you can download the SATA drivers from their websites.
  3. TronXP

    Netware Users

    This forum is very queit! How many people on edugeek use Netware still??? I am using Netware 6.5 SP7 and Zenworks 7.
  4. We used to use toshiba, we use lenovo now, buying in bulk will get you great discounts if you barter with your supplier. In the end I got the email and phone of the lenovo sales rep in my area and told him what i wanted and the price. He got me a pretty good deal laptop + bag + 3 year warrenty.
  5. TronXP

    Raid

    I managed to find a drive! And put it in and started to rebuild the raid. Now can I exit the raid setup and boot server up, or do i have to wait for the raid to finish rebuilding?
  6. I've got 12 sticks of 256MB PC133 SDRAM. They've been in a box in our store room for a while. I don't know if they all work or condition, but if you want them you can have them.
  7. I think you can trade in your old APC on a new APC *looks for APC booklet that came through post*
  8. Xfire id = tronxp http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/tronxp.png
  9. I agree they should expect to find asbestos not expect not too. It doesn't matter really if your there or not. If they find asbestos and disturbe it, they are spreading the asbestos dust around the building, if its sealed thats not going to happen.
  10. If the company is professional, they will seal off the areas and dispose of waste in a proper manor. You will be fine to work in areas around the sealed off areas.
  11. Fibre all they way, if you dont want to see the cable, dig a trench and hide them... costs more than flying but then she won't see the cable
  12. TronXP

    Raid

    I have had a hard disk in my raid 5 fail, I eventually managed to source another hard disk exactly the same, which brings me to my question. In your raid, do all of the disks need to be identical, or for example can you have one thats a bigger capacity?? The drives in this server are no longer produced and i can't find anyone else who does the same spec. Took me all day yesterday to track down some factory refurbished units.
  13. Yes, dell engineers use mats, though they still manage to break more then they fix.
  14. TronXP

    New UPS

    It doesn't take that long or much money to get a sparky to check it out. Is it worth damaging your equipment or even worse?
  15. TronXP

    Music Laptops

    Our music teachers are using sibelius on Lenovo T60 laptops, I would advise staying away from celerons, and at least a 1gb of RAM. An external usb sound card can be useful but 90% of the time the onboard sound does for what our Music teachers want. (+ USB to MIDI cable)
  16. We had all kyocera's when I arrived here, nothing but problems, always jamming, the paper trays are cheap and nasty, (we are on novell) driver issues.... I am in the process of changing them all to Xerox Phaser's, There are 2-3x the cost of the Kyocera's but so far not many issues, no more phone calls saying the printers aren't working. From my experience stay away from kyocera... although we do have kyocera photocopiers and they have been running great, much better than the canon ones they replaced.
  17. I personally think a SAN in a school in not over engineering for a school. If any of my servers go down, it impacts the way the school runs, staff rely on the system to work. SAN and clustering gives me the peace of mind that if there is a problem, users are not affected. Depends on your school and how important they view uptime. Schools are pushing to use IT more and more in lessons, with some lessons built entirely around computer based resources. As the Network manager I need to ensure these lessons can be carried out. Personally am going to back IBM as well, I have been impressed with there support and hardware, so far no issues bar a couple of hardrives. One was DOA and the other failed in the SAN, No problems new drive supplied the raid took care of the lot and nobody noticed.
  18. We had a very similar problem with some Lenovo laptops, you had to change the sata settings in windows, then once XP was installed, install a driver and then reboot put settings back and it all worked fine.
  19. Personally I go with lenovo, so far its been pretty good and they seem to be alot more rugged. I have probably 100 toshibas left, but they always seem to get damaged a lot more easily then the lenovo's. I also like the HP as they always seem to be built very well. Must admit I haven't looked at Fujitsu though.
  20. On The DES-6500 we stopped loop back by putting on Flow control on the ports, also doing the same on our switches in the IT suites (DGS 3024)
  21. We bought CD-ROMs that had cogs and not band driven. Was a pain to find them, but saves the hassle of the bands going missing. So far no problem with USB ports
  22. We don't allow right click on the taskbar and start menu, every where else they can.
  23. Can anyone recommend a good webhosting company. I currently use fasthosts I have around 8/10 domains I want to transfer away from them. There packages have degraded, the options for the domains seems to have all but gone and am sick of them. All my servers are linux, and I use MYSQl and php. Not to bothered about location of servers as long as their quick and reliable. These are personal websites not school related. Any Suggestions would be welcome!
  24. TronXP

    XBOX 360

    I thought it broke the license agreement on the game, unless you have permission from the games company...
  25. TronXP

    NW65SP7

    I have just finished upgrading my servers now (I have 4 in a cluster). So far no problems, other than iManager didn't start automatically. I think they have changed the command to start tomcat4 which is where imanger resides. I just typed in tomcat4 on the server and it started to work again. So I have modified the startup files to do this automatically. The new iManager 2.7 looks a lot nicer than the old version. iPrint seems to be behaving so far, I have tested a few printers and they all seem to work. So far so good.
×
×
  • Create New...