Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TronXP

Members
  • Posts

    689
  • Joined

Everything posted by TronXP

  1. I haven't used CachePilot but I used to have NetPilot, look at the order that the rules are implemented, from what I remember it goes from the top down, so if a rule at the top says block then a rule below it says unblock the top rule is used and it will stay blocked. It can be a pain but once you have it sorted then it should work.
  2. TronXP

    4GB USB Pens

    I have an 8GB OCZ Rally2 memory stick, never had any problems with it! I still have my 1GB memory stick which I bought for £100 when they first came out! Its been through the wash/dryer more times then I can remember but it still keeps on going.
  3. Students get 500Mb to start off with, Students who require more (e.g. Music students doing projects) can request more space. Staff get 1Gb to start off with but we have the capacity for them to have 2Gb. Each department then gets 2Gb of Public and 2Gb of Private departmental storage area. This is backed up using LTO 3 Tape Library
  4. I find Lenovo are excellent for aftersales. Fault recording is done online and normally within an hour you get a rep ringing to confirm the problem, Next day an engineer is sent out. No fuss they just get it sorted. This is one of the main reasons I buy lenovo over the competitors.
  5. Only 202 works for me, Newcastle upon Tyne on 8mb BT leased line
  6. Hello, Does anybody on this forum have a 100mb leased line?? If so would you mind telling me(or PM) how much you pay per year, installation/connection and which company you use. I would just like some rough figures to work with, I don't want to get involved in ringing for quotes for something which will probably never happen! thanks Andy
  7. I love Novell Zenworks, I just set up an inventory server and away it goes... All computer specs + software installed
  8. I have found with laptops that it is just too complicated (dunno why) for staff. The simplset way for staff to use IWB is to have a static computer. Then all they do is log in and work!
  9. The original key you were given by ramesys. I have one key provided by MS and last time it would not activate, I just re entered that key and clicked activate.
  10. The supplier is assuming you are signed up to a Microsoft School's Agreement licence. If you are signed up to this, then you will have a logon account to the MS licensing site. In there you will find all the licence keys you are entitled too.
  11. Give this a try, goto the system page and tell it to change key. Type in your previous key and then try to re activate. I did this on my 08 server and it re activated fine.
  12. TronXP

    End of an era

    I am still running Novell Netware, its sad to see them disapearing, but as Monkeyx says Novell is to blame. We are looking at phasing Netware out within 2 years.
  13. I work in an independant school we use BT leased line 8mb up and down and use BLOXX for in house filtering
  14. TronXP

    Untangle

    I am using untangle at our junior school site, its ok, its only a temp solution until there new school on our main site is built
  15. I have an IBM fibre channel SAN connected to IBM servers (not blade ) we are running Novell Netware 6.5 + Cluster services. I can try to answer some questions if you would like. Just PM me
  16. I have only setup LDAP on Netware, but i created a user, who could browse and read the netware tree. I am believe that is all you need unless you want LDAP to change any values. One thing to be aware is that you use secure LDAP otherwise you will be allowing usernames and passwords to flow across the network in plain text
  17. We are having some discussions about the internet filtering that staff have on our system. I would like some information from you edugeek members please. 1) Is there any legal reasons for staff to be filtered on the internet if so any references? 2) In your school are your staff filtered? 3)If so are they filtered the same as students?? And if you don't mind could you leave your name, establisment and job title (or pm me it) Thanks to you all in advance Andy
  18. We are just about alll 19" wides now.
  19. I take it there on different subnets? I have to admit am not as good at this as others on the board, am just trying to get my head around what your setup is. Do you want to be able to be plugged into Network "A" and acces something on Network "B" or do you have 2 network cards on your machine and you do it that way?
  20. VLAN should seperate the two networks, you should be able to assign which ports to which network. am just wondering why 2 ip address for the switch???
  21. we had this on a HP multifunction laser. Never found what was the problem, we just replaced it.
  22. You can indeed get some bargains on ebay. We were looking for some racks to install our dimmers for the church lighting system into. We got 2x 42U racks for £30. Good job we had a Landy and a huge trailer to big them up in. When we racked the servers at school we were lucky in that we could replace most of the old servers with racked versions. We did however have 2 IBM X226 servers which were too good to bin the rack mount kist were about £250 each. We managed to get the IBM supplier to throw one in for free since our order was so big.
  23. I am having some problems with LDAP. I can connect using LDAP and I can pull a list of usernames, but groups it just won't. Any ideas??? Thanks
  24. That is providing the cable monkey who installed the fibre terminated them in the right place. Since coming to this post I have found 3 - 4 fibres in SC trays which are terminated the wrong way!
  25. bossman, don't want to hijack the thread but OM3 fibre, can I stick on my exsisting 1gb switchs onto it?? I admit am not really up on fibre technology. I would like to install OM3 in new builds but was worried I would have to buy new 10gb switches
×
×
  • Create New...