Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

robk

Mod Staff
  • Posts

    1,409
  • Joined

Everything posted by robk

  1. Interdomain (forest in this case) trust. This would allow main domain users to appear in the music dept ad, so the could be added to groups etc. GPOs etc would still be completey seperate. This seems to be how a number of RBCs are looking at single sign on. RobK
  2. Didn`t say when, we seem to be covering most major cities. I have heard Shetland talked about, now that would be a surprise! RobK
  3. Fantastic conference, really well orchestrated, hope to be at the Bristol one as well! Thanks RobK
  4. Is all the content on a ipod in mp3 format? If so Idump will save the whole lot back off the ipod without getting messed up with itunes. Just had to do it for a school show. Students waving ipods at me with their music on it...... RobK
  5. If you are looking at getting the odd file of a ipod try idump. Watching for copyright issues of course.... RobK
  6. Personally, I used to wear shirt, tie, black trousers for work, but as things progressed I ended up in various roof spaces etc. So I have lost the tie and migrated down to tidy trousers/sometimes black jeans and smart shirt/polo shirt. I wouldn`t feel happy in ripped jeans and a tee shirt for very long. (unless its school holidays). Special occasions means the suit comes out, usually to questions like where's the interview! The rest of my team seem to be retaining the ties at the moment...... RobK
  7. I may be able to find a epson remote, where abouts are you located? RobK
  8. Happy Birthday!
  9. Time switch in the power to the speakers? Very simple, and if the machine is doing nothing else sound wise would work. RobK
  10. As someone who ends up leaving my mug all over the school, (well they will keep interupting the coffee break!) I NEED one of these! RobK
  11. Just a thought, but if you configure wpad on the school network, you can then just tick auto, and the proxy magically changes from home to school. It needs a webserver on the school network and a javascript file with the settings it. This assumes one proxy per school though. RobK
  12. Have you seen the Serco Data import manual? It`s not easy but it is doable, as long as your data is in the same format etc. Suggest setting up a offline copy of your data to play with first, I managed to nearly trash our database by following an error in the (old) manual! Either hasle support for the manual, or PM me and I will email it you. I don`t think I should post such content on edugeek though. Rob Keeling
  13. We looked at PDA`s but the cost and the additional cost for the eportal PDA licence meant it was a non-starter. We are using PC`s in classrooms with eee-pc laptops for PE and other nomadic staff. (Well thats the plan, all the eee`s haven`t landed yet). RobK
  14. Sure, it looks like this. You need to replace {DNS DOMAIN} with the full domain name for your windows domain, this allows AD to sync all your scripts across domain controllers for redundancy. I ended up using multiple robocopys for some reason, I think it was due to security settings, though one line should have worked. Certainly I set this up 18 months ago and it works for us. RobK
  15. This sounds like the problem I hit with our network, we had a redirected start menu to a unc share. This worked well for years, but as the number of machines rose we saw slow start menu loading and problems with laptops (like FN-Greatermanchester). It turned out that the load on the share started to increase and xp scans all the short cuts on the menu before displaying it. What we did is redirect the menus to a local folder, and use a startup script to sync via robocopy the file share to the local folder. Means power up can be a little slow, but logins are fast. Hope this helps. Robk
  16. How are you deploying Sibelius 5? Using the supplied MSI or something else? I tried to get support to tell me how they recommended deployment but they don`t support Microsoft installer........ Any suggestions greatfully received. Robk
  17. True, backing up the server and database should be safe, though if you run a Serco backup you can just restore them to a access database for testing/DR etc. I didn`t get a straight answer on SQL backup from Serco hence started playing with auto-it. My thoughts? Both can`t hurt! RobK
  18. No problem sharing, don't think it will attach here, so drop me a PM and I will email it back. RobK
  19. I have a auto-it script that runs from a scheduled task to do this, have you used auto-it before? RobK
  20. We have just installed SSL explorer from http://www.sshtools.com. For remote desktop and Access to home directories and shared folders. You only need port 443 (HTTPS) open to the outside world, and no changes to internal servers are needed. Note the free community version works, there is no need to buy the enterprise one, unless you wanted any of the extra features. There is a vmware appliance which is great to try it out. I haven`t tried webdav, as I didn`t want to change access on our storage server. HTH RobK
  21. Seems the Bett staff area has disappeared, even though I used to be able to access it? ACL problem? (New site looks great btw). Robk
  22. Well I have been playing with one over xmas, so may well be able to bring it to Bett. Brilliant bit of kit. Rob K
  23. Just tried both from a derbyshire EMBC connection (via remote desktop) and orange broadband. Only get http://212.219.81.202 to work. Rob K
×
×
  • Create New...