-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
Can't see this ever being implimented, it'd cost the government far too much in lost tax income and would probably lead to widespread law breaking. I learnt to drive for a reason, mainly because I wasn't going to get a promotion/pay rise without being able to drive around the country visiting various schools. If I'd have got a license and then not been able to drive at night for the first 2 years I simply couldn't have done the same job and I doubt my employer would have hired me in the first place. "Sorry, our engineers can't drive at night so they'll need to leave site by 3.00 at the latest" wouldn't have cut it.
-
very odd, as a quick fix I'd consider connecting directly to the database via the connect.ini on the servers themselves and use pulsar directly also - you'd need to update manually but its not too much of an issue. I'd assume its a DNS issue somewhere along the line, does this issue only show up on the TS servers or do workstations also have the same problem? edit: another thought - you could also put the DNS name/ip into the local hosts files on the TS servers
-
How far do you travel to work, how long does it take?
Jamman960 replied to jonny_2010's topic in Educational IT Jobs
I travel around 6 miles each way and it takes about 45mins during term time or 20 outside of term... I used to work all over the country, I'd usually travel atleast 2-3 hours each day and ended up spending 1 or 2 nights a week in a hotel. It really didn't do me any good in the end and I'm glad to be out of it. -
Sever spec influencing logon times?
Jamman960 replied to TechSupp's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
How slow are login times at the moment out of interest? More memory will certainly help to an extent but as above you'll quickly hit other bottle knecks. I'd look at buying an HP ML110 or ML115, they're entry level servers but even without adding any RAM etc they would be faster than what you have now. Also the Crucial website has a "memory scanner" which should help you identify the correct ram. -
Disbale account group policy - Urgent
Jamman960 replied to pettit87's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Yep, within group policy go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment and then find the "Deny Logon Locally" option and add either a group or user to the list. As usual this would need to be applied to a workstation OU.- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Nope theres no reason what so ever, you can place servers wherever you like. Comm's rooms are generally the most convenient/secure place but theres no other reason for it.
-
Lived in coventry up until about 3 years ago(parents still do), I don't remember having any signal issues like that. Seems very strange that it can be narrowed down to a specific time though... does it shift at all when the clocks go back/forward? Really don't know a huge amount about the causes of interferance for TV's but I'd try an indoor aerial and maybe have a word with your neighbors to see if they have the same issue. Other than that I'd try and figure out what else happens at that exact time(boilers kicking in/other devices that may be on a timer etc) edit: one thing I had heard mentioned a while back was Rugby Cement causing issues, I'm pretty sure they ended up funding replacement aerial's as a solution.. http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/coventry-evening-telegraph-england/mi_7969/is_2001_Dec_18/tv-headache-cement-company-firm/ai_n32995628/ - its probably in no way related but its interesting that something that far away can affect TV reception.
-
I've been experiencing problems with emails getting through our spam filters(Exchange+PureMessage) and then being classed as junk, since installing Exchange 2010 this seems to be happening too often and the head is complaining that too many genuine messages from parents are being classed as junk. I've found 2 solutions - 1. Disable Exchange content filtering and 2. Creating a new transport rule that strips the MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL header from all mail inside the org. I've also setup exchange to quarentine any messages with an SCL of 8 or above, Puremessage quarentines anything with a spam rating of 50% or more. Does anyone else have a problem with messages being classed as junk having been grilled by the spam filters? Cheers, James
-
I really like the Sony Ericsson X10, its still on 1.6 though
-
Run CPU-Z on the sever to find its model then check either the intel website or here: List of Intel Pentium 4 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are so many different models it could be.
-
Does the desk need to be manned physically or is it mainly just answering phone calls? here our bursar is currently handling any calls from his office, the front door just has a "please use other door..." sign up(nearer to the bursars office) - we're a reasonably small school though... we could easily redirect it to one of our dect handsets also if required. James
-
Not living in staff accomodation but wouldn't say no if it came up, the school have 2 houses and a flat, two of them were supposed to be let out cheaply to newly qualified teachers to help them get started but those that got them have pretty much stayed there and probably won't be going anywhere for a while. From what I understand the rent is about a third of what it should be.
-
The article says 800,000 people are employed at the plant, no idea how big the plant is but I'm guessing that living conditions aren't great, they've also more than doubled production-line worker pay... seems a bit crazy to me, how can any company afford to double so many workers pay unless they are seriously underpaying people and generally treating them badly.
-
I've started using GlobeSSL - £15.98 for 2 years(with discount code 'Saleoff'($4 discount)). They are having some technical issues at the moment though... as I found out when I ordered a new one for our webmail subdomain argh! it worked perfectly when I ordered one for out RD Gateway subdomain back in april. I previously ordered from Godaddy but they've hiked up the price upon renewal. James
-
Thanks guys, have decided to go with the HP's for now. The Acers are almost too cheap for the spec and we can afford to spend the extra few £'s - I'm sure Acer have changed but as the saying goes... no one ever got fired for buying HP.
-
I'm about to purchase a new batch of workstations to relpace the ones in our IT Suite, I'm currently looking at HP/Lenovo's however one of my suppliers has suggested an Acer workstation. Past experience with Acer tells me to steer well clear as I had nothing but bad experiences with them back in 2004-6 while working for another company. The failure rate was high(we'd supplied them to schools accross the country) and the average turn around for repairs was about 6 weeks. Is anyone using them and if so has their reliability and support improved significantly? I'm a bit nervous as I really don't want to go ahead and purchase a load of them only to find that they haven't changed... really wouldn't go down well with my line manager
-
Generally you wouldn't but once you have 600+ pc's you need really to consider segmenting broadcast domains and generally splitting the network into routed subnets. On our network it also helps as I can immediatly identify a packet coming from 192.168.3.x as having come from a pc on our preprep site etc
-
Currently have a Cisco 3560 as a core on one site and a Cisco small business 540 gigabit switch on the other, the rest of the switches are Allied Telesyn(brought before I started). Currenlty have 2 VLANS used to join two recently joined networks on separate sites(via Gbit FSO/radio backup). Currently have towards 150 machines spread accross 2 sites. VLAN's are useful for segmenting broadcast domains/generally splitting networks up. Typical VLAN setups are per floor VLAN's or per department vlans.
-
Nice one, been meaning to give this a try but never got around to it
-
It was a good race until the orders were given :-( the atmosphere at the end was awful Would probably still have been a ferarri 1 2 great quote from the beeb commentator earlier on tho - "Massa is encountering virgins in all the wrong places!"
-
Sneakily watching the practice here Should be a good race on sunday... hope its dry though
-
What model are they and how many will there be? Might be interested in a few
-
Installing SIMS modules on stand alone machines
Jamman960 replied to Stuart_C's topic in MIS Systems
Unfourtunatly not, they used to have an offline mode but from what I gather it didn't always work very well. SLG or a Terminal Server is probably the best route for allowing staff to work from home(the latter is much cheaper also). -
I'm 25, Started working in IT when I was 19 but spent far too much time messing with computers before that Female IT techs are fairly rare, I used to work in different schools all over the country and can only remember working with 5/6 two of them were network managers. It seems to be the same accross the board in IT
-
I currently have Pure Message setup to class anything with a spam score of 50% or more as suspected spam(Quarentine) and anything with a score of 90% or more as spam(Delete). This has worked pretty well for a while however we've just started to get a few phishing mails with scores between 35-40%, based on my own mailbox in the last few months most genuine mail is coming in with a spam score of 8-10%, mail shots and newsletters are often coming in at between 15-25%. Could anyone using puremessage tell me how low you currently go without affecting too many genuine mails? I'm thinking about reducing the limit to 33% or so. Cheers, James
