-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
I've borrowed it russ
-
lol @ SpuffMonkey Will be having to play test exchange very soon. Just wondering what to do, inline with what chrisg mentioned above (welcome welcome welcome chris ) - when setting up the exchange server, is it ok to attach it to the curriculum domain, even tho admin users on a seperate domain will be using it? - how will this affect the email address? is that something that i should worry about, as i'm worried the emails wont work as it'll have " @curriculum.FQDN " Any thoughts welcome there Cheers Nath
-
lol We always run out - not because of my choosing, but the management's lol Its a look at the store room ...er...my room to see whats left. They never plan for toner so if anyone asks me why there's none in x printer, i say ask the management or something lol Sad, but true *sighs* Nath
-
[ps - we've mentioned kixtart scripts before tony - you only had to ask lol ....or did you? :S lol] interestingly catbert, i notice when it gets to the part of the normal logon script when the kixtart script does its thing, i see various numbers as it maps/loads/installs the drivers 30secs -1 min i'd say with ours inc roaming profiles Cheers Nath
-
I take it you dont give them the win98 license (unless they are oem stickered ones) lol The stuff i chucked was pre 98 mainly and the ones with 98 were really slow with 98 anyhow Nath.
-
good to see fellow Proliant ML350 users Going (i think) for a HP Proliant ML150 G2: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=HPIA041B7 (cant remember the exact one as there are a few listed but the model is the same) with 1GB RAM, 2 x 80GB SATA, Adaptec RAID SATA-2 controller, and some other bits and bobs i forget too, for our Exchange 2k3 email box (should be just the ticket as theres only 300 pupils & 50 staff so this should be ideal (i hope/pray). Looking forward to access work email from home (yes, I'm sad like that lol) Regards Nath
-
@british-wave: Off-topic but whats hospital work like? A network that *has* to work as opposed to *not life threatening* must be a biig change. I've considered working in the nearby hospital (if jobs are goin o course) but i worry about how mission/life critical it is at a hospital, compared to a school. PM if preferable Back on topic... Management has gone out and got some compatable toners for some of the printers, inc the HP C. LJ. 4600n lucky there's no warranty left on it lol Does anyone know if HP part exchange their printers i.e. so i can get rid of the beast-eating-toner-machine and get a more up-to-date one for a much reduced price? If anyone needs to ring HP, ask them for us ta Regards Nath.
-
@Chris: Just a few obvious ones you 've tried already no doubt: - BIOS updated to latest ver? (its usual one of the reasons) - install a slipstreamed XP with SP2 (and updates) on it? perform the same? - put the troublesome pc's in a OU and give them a specific GPO which disables most of the SP2 new features - Security Centre, Firewall, etc etc @Russ: The county prevented SP2 on their SUS server (dunno whether its still in use) back when SP2 came out - and they had it blocked for ages after. I ignored the Curriculum network pc's and put the SP2 on regardless, but left the admin ones for a while - after trying it on one, there was zero problems I had so over time put it on them all By now surely there wont be any problems for you to put SP2 on. Give them a rant about windows security and stuff being more important maybe? lol Regards Nath
-
As a mod, should i remove roaming profile bashing (after seeing it on many threads)?? :P Regarding the preventing download in IE GP setting, i forget what it is, but it stops you clicking save on the requester - well, you can click it but you then get a message saying "not allows blah blah - or whatever it is lol" I'll try to remembr to dig it out tomorrow They, of course, can click Open but for some reason - i must have got the right settings down or something, I havent noticed any games appearing anywhere With pdf's etc, just click open mark lmao Regards Nath
-
winks @ intrigue: Symantec Corp (SBE) - 5 User on the severs. Works lovely Cheers Nath
-
um....lets not turn this into a anti-roaming profiles war now :P Use the other thread ;) [No problems at all with roaming profiles here btw ] Back on track... I'm curious, Can you have multiple manditory profiles i.e. for different user groups for example? Ta Nath
-
I really liked mambo a while back when i tried it - looked great. However.... I change one bit of it i.e. removed some demo content, and it just died. No matter how many times i installed it and tried it again, i got the same thing happening. That was nearer the begining of the year though - i decided to hardcode my site instead. In a way, more satisfying [TYPO3 i would have used but fasthosts give it a no no - tho i didnt ask but the requirements arent there lol] Regards Nath
-
E1uSiV3 - beat me to that Nath.
-
sysprep (on xp pc's) and ghost will look into RIS too sometime
-
Be sure to let usknow what works - so others can learn ta, Nath.
-
the spec comparison table on lanshack is good (dunno what it means mainly tho lol) I thought it was designed that you could run Gb links longer than before - well, one thing that is. If you can only run it at under 20M, then whats the point lol? minus the small patch cables for servers to switches within the server room, etc. Just a ramble here really N.
-
yep - i said the same. They installed in the hols - not perfect but a good job generally. End of the day, i cant talk to him (deputy/ict co-ordinator) properly - dunno what it is but i get tounge tied with him [i do a bit anyway - but usually explain it in the end] and he want everyone to do everything etc. I wont go further as i dont want to slander/etc. but its not nice - and i'm dreading telling him. Need to talk to the union but its a little har to - especially at work :S sorry for additional rant Regards N.
-
@john: I'm annoyed - i got a MS beta invite for server 2k3 R2 but for some reason, nothing happened and I cant seem to access it anymore. I'll have to check the email again but the only thing i can do is put the guest id in again. Their beta site is really crap i think. I cant get into it properly - never have been able to. Have only ever seen one beta active even when I'm meant to have a few active - it makes no sense. .... er.... /rant lol Regards Nath
-
Hey peeps Anyone have any experience with Cat6 cabling? Can someone list the pro / cons regarding it? ---[the http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp link i mentioned in a different post says the pro / cons for cat5e but not really on cat 6]--- I'm just wondering whether you need to get all the kit again i.e. £20 cable tester [if the cat5e one wont do] etc. Any thoughts would be useful thanks Regards Nath
-
The link mark refers to is: http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp Nice site (at least I've always thought so) Back on track tho, I didnt (honestly) mean for this to be a /rant myself so sorry about that. @Mark: hehe you know the score with my job [even tho you do have a goldfish's memory no offense ] - I've "gone above the call of duty" many times over [like I'm sure we all have] but enough is enough surely - or we'll end up doing everything there lol i like the electrician idea - but we'd end up "wagging" it i.e. not putting additional power sockets on walls and just using surge protected power extentions - so no electrician needed hmmm..... dunno how this is gonna turn out Thanks guys (but keep posting if you have any more gems ) Nath
-
Hi all Just wondering if anyone knows of any practical do's and dont's with c.v.'s - i havent done one in 8 years lol so I'm a bit outta touch with it really. I'm sure there is, but anyone have a good sites or examples of whats c.v. hot and whats c.v. not? [yes, i am gooogling ] Regards, Nath
-
Thanks for the replies so far guys - please keep them coming PS if you want more info, then please ask - i'm happy to tell. @Netman: lol - you make me laugh [in a good way lol] I would love to tell them that - but I'm not allowed an opinion I'm afraid lol The pay-rise aspect is fairly pointless as I asked for one before (I was on 5.5k pro rata - believe it or not - 24 hrs a week) which was a year last xmas. There's been redundancies here too so I'd feel like a idiot asking for that lol @kingswood: lol It is a load of issues - I'm afraid of too much detail and getting in trouble for it lol but there are a whole host of issues I (and others) have here lol I was thinking of the H&S too - I didnt mean it to be only about my case. Just in general really Its a fairly complex route i.e. not from one room horizontally into the next oo g2g to chinese keep posting pls lol Nath
-
Hi all Not sure if we've asked this but here goes... What I'm asking is, should we be running network [Cat5e/6 - or fibre if you got the kit and know-how] cables through walls, floors, ceilings, etc.? Of course, internal cabling of a room is a given I guess i.e. adding an additional wall socket to the switch in the same room [or however it's termed]. But what about running xx amount of cables from one room/switch through multiple walls/floors/ceilings/roof spaces to another room to make a new computer room for example?? - Should (must) we have training in order to be legally covered/allowed? - Does it have to be descriptively mentioned in our job descriptions? - what would be the minimum ammount of wages you'd expect to be on in order to fullfil such a task? I'm asking as me and the caretaker are being asked to do this - he's on ~11k and I'm on ~13.2k. His job description is detailed as "light maintainance" and "first response repair" (think its called that) i.e. stopping a leaking tap, etc. Gonna have a quick look (yet again) at mine, but I have always said in the past that I dont mind doing internal room links/additions, but not something of this scale before. Any thoughts asap would be most welcome as we got to do it asap also - and we aren't sure if we are meant to or not :? Regards N.
