Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. I think he's intending it to be used with the pupils / staff - not just him - ITWombat. I wouldn't give the pupils or staff a VPN link, tho i guess a form of TS would work perhaps using RDP and a TS server - or something like that lol Nath.
  2. minus that though if it dies I don't see that changing in select agreements particularly, as they will already be keeping check of things with this WGA type system that will be needed with VLK licensing too Nath.
  3. thanks for that dude I take it my plan sounds fine then? hehe nath
  4. But I can't see the forest for the trees... Well actually - the forest is the domain - same name [because i was a dumbass when i set it up and I dont dare break it by reconfiguring it hehe] I take it it shouldn't matter tho.... i.e. Current domain/forest: mydomainandforest.mycompany.mycounty.sch.uk Additional domain set up as: mynewdomain.mydomainandforest.mycompany.mycouny.sch.uk I guess without breaking everything, theres no way for me to [re]configure things to make the forest just: mycompany.mycounty.sch.uk instead of: mydomainandforest.mycompany.mycounty.sch.uk because then I could have the new domain like this: mynewdomain.mycompany.mycounty.sch.uk right? EDIT: Did you vote No! Geoff? lol Nath
  5. hehe Hello all I'm thinking about adding a new domain & server into our Music block as I successfully managed to create a wifi bridge to the rest of the network the other week. I currently have nearly finished the current setup similar to what we had, in that it uses a Buffalo Terastation as a fileserver - but the users dont have individual usernames - it is simply "pupil", "teacher", and "admin" - and works fairly well as a peer-2-peer workgroup but the pupils all save to the same area - like a resource share you may have setup for teachers for example. Now, of course, the speed would be pitiful if i was to use the current DC through the wifi link, so I thought the best way would be to create a new domain - plus the Music teacher likes her independance i think hehe On top of that, as we do alot of music producing - both midi and more and more audio/wave recording using Cubase etc - its likely that it just wont be useable at all if I was to use the DC as it stands. My thought is that should the wifi link go down, or the main domain go down, it wont effect the music room domain - as I would want it to be a self contained unit as such. The problem is usernames hehe as although we don't have a great deal of pupils/users here, it would still be a pain to create them manually from scratch. Is there some way to syncronise the usernames between domains or do i have to do it manually and alter my user creation script? Having this seperate domain here would be great in that the users can log in the music room computers with the same credentials as they do on the other computers, and also, great that they then could save their work into their own home dir - and it cant get lost/accidentally deleted etc. I think the equipment and licensing will come to just over £1K - but i think it would be money well spent. Does anyone have any thought to this plan? i.e. is it plausible? suggestions? ideas? etc... Also, would i be able to give it a different IP range to what the current domain has without any problems etc? as the current range is fairly full really, but more than that, I'd want the music room DC to have its own DHCP so that if the wifi link dies, the machines arent affected [except for internet, sync-ing stuff, and good ol' wfolder lol] Thanks Nath.
  6. Bet you'll be looking forward to C&C3 then? Nath
  7. .bat and .cmd mainly Nath
  8. Half asleep here.... Had the same thing here... I had installed xp using UA CD & sysprep etc i.e. ways that dont use RIS, but when deploying a RIS image [using Custom Method] to that machine for the first time and giving it the same machine name as one in the AD, I got the error message. Being scared, I deleted that computer object from AD and tried again - using Custom Method so I can choose the Computer Name - and it worked fine. Once done of course, you'll theoretically never have to use Custom [to enter the computer name] again hehe Nath.
  9. Turn it off? unless you play with the server continually and expect to have to use System Restore Nath
  10. Few things.... a) check your Event Viewer logs and see if theres anything relating to it there i.e. restart and when it comes on, remember the time, and then when you are logged in, see whats there. b) switch become faulty [or damaged network cabling / magnetic and or electrical interference] c) drivers - could be, if they are all the same model, and the LAN driver [or a chipset driver perhaps] has been updated or you have rebuilt the machines with different version of the drivers to the last time d) dns..... .....maybe not really - but we do like to blame dns for everything hehe Nath.
  11. I'l be using the rather cheap 'n' cheerful.... WRT54GL I've just used one with custom firmware, to link the music room to the main building.... here's the thread regarding it: http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=48482 It was pretty easy, though most of its still lost on me. With the custom firmware, the unit supports all sorts - including WDS which has its good and bad points I believe. But for the pretty small cost of these units, I think its a good way to get AP's. Enjoy and feel free to ask me questions on messenger or PM's etc. Nath.
  12. peer-to-peer has a lot of problems too tho, so i think that either way - domain or peer-to-peer - if the level of competancy is low, you will be hard pushed to get everything done 1 day a week. At least with a domain, if u can set up the group policies well enough, then it should help misuse.... It does here Space is one thing but so long as they dont start saving huge publisher files and understand there is a limit to the space, then u could do it on that space [i did it with 300 users on a 9Gig hard drive so... that was until 2 years ago however hehe]. And where are they saving the work to now? where is the organisation in peer-to-peer? etc etc.... Just a few thoughts for ya Nath.
  13. Are you meaning you have the same model/type already, or you have a 1TB NAS system already? If its the former, then it seems odd they would change it that drastically between revisions :S Best to give them a call on the matter and see if theres anything they can do. Nath.
  14. roaming profile got corrupt perhaps? I get that occasionally.... just clear it and let a new one create itself. If of course its a mandatory one, then I'm not sure you'll want to clear it until you have created a new one to go in its place The permissions thing is normal with roaming ones [well it is with mine anyhow hehe] as you can just take over ownership easy enough and do whatever you need to do. Cheers Nath
  15. \\server\username$ Its even easier No problems here Have seen ind13's problem happen here too - in most cases its been a server restart, but its all a little confusing as to why its been happening. Nothing this week tho that I'm aware of. Cheers Nath
  16. Look at my screenshot and you could try ticking the box Integrated Windows Authentication which means that it will use the credentials of the user that is logged in. The reason that I don't use this is because I find alot of teachers leave themselves logged in - there's only so much I can do to tell them not to.... I have no authority here of course - so you can see why that feature can be a bad thing also. Enjoy. Nath
  17. And the USB drivers that dont need manually installing(i.e. manually having to tell windows to use the right one) would be nice too via msi Any progress on that? it has been a fair few years hehe ;) Nath
  18. Ric - I think he meant taking the tapes home in case of fire.... not to actually use them at home lol Nath
  19. you are most correct so yes, keep a copy of the changed pages also - for that very reason As of yet [1 year so far], no update has changed them but you never know Cheers Nath.
  20. You can edit the front page to automatically populate the domain/ part for the username.... Well i did at any rate Here's how: Take a look at the file logon.asp in notepad [or in a program that won't save formatting hehe] - the file is located in a default install at: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb\bin\auth\usa search for the following: <% If g_fIsMSIE5Rich Then %> ((( Before you change anything, backup any files you change so you can restore them should things not work out for you ))) and change this: <% If g_fIsMSIE5Rich Then %> </pre><form action="/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll" method="POST" name="logonForm" autocomplete="off"> <% Else %> </form><form action="/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll" method="POST" name="logonForm"> <% End If %>< to: <% If g_fIsMSIE5Rich Then %> <br /> <!--<br /> function logonForm_onsubmit()<br /> {<br /> if (logonForm.username.value.indexOf("@") !=-1)<br /> {<br /> return true;<br /> }<br /> logonForm.username.value = "DOMAINNAMEHERE\\" + logonForm.username.value;<br /> return false;<br /> }<br /> //--><br /> </pre><form action="/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll" method="POST" name="logonForm" autocomplete="off" onsubmit="logonForm_onsubmit()"> <% Else %> <br /> <!--<br /> function logonForm_onsubmit()<br /> {<br /> if (logonForm.username.value.indexOf("@") !=-1)<br /> {<br /> return true;<br /> }<br /> logonForm.username.value = "DOMAINNAMEHERE\\" + logonForm.username.value;<br /> return false;<br /> }<br /> //--><br /> </form><form action="/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll" method="POST" name="logonForm" autocomplete="off" onsubmit="logonForm_onsubmit()"> <% End If %>< and change the DOMAINNAMEHERE to whatever your domain is that the users reside on. Now, open up the IIS Manager under Administrative Tools and right click on the Exchange website found within the Default Web Site tree.... You need to go to the properties of it and replicate what I have in the attached screenshot... i.e. [in case the picture doesnt appear] on the Exchange properties window, go to the Directory Security tab and click on Edit... under the section Authentication and Access Control. On the window that appears, you should change the default domain and realm to a single backslash. Job done Cheers Nath.
  21. hehe Geoff... im not on about that I mean the hardware turning on and off due to pwer cuts is going to wreck the machines of course Surge adaptors are only gonna do so much i would have thought. Nath.
  22. Just out of curiosity but what about the client computers?? Surely they must be getting destroyed with the constant power outs etc.. ...or have you got little UPSs on those also? Cheers Nath
  23. tarquel

    Guild Wars?

    Just picked up the Guild Wars Special Edition in Game today for £9.99 About to install it but just wondering whether there is different servers [like FF] and if so, I'd like to join one that someone else from here is on. Please reply quickly hehe Not important if you can transfer from one server to another really tho Cheers Nath.
  24. Yep. The head thinks i'm here to support the kids & staff more than i am here to fix things. While I dont mind that too much, the problem is that isn't what the system needs, as no-one will be looking after it and things will suffer. I've had to still do it without her knowing about it, otherwise there would be nothing for me to use to support the staff / pupils lol At the end of the day, I'm not SLA / NTA - i'm better than that lol [no offence intended ] /rant Nath.
  25. lol.... like me there's like a 6k gap between me and someone doing what I do in a different school in the LEA... shocking stuff indeed. Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...