Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Thanks for the reply, but i know about IS Was hoping someone had a idea of how to deploy it via GP.... although I guess I could first make it silently install, then deploy that via computer startup with a batch script. EDIT: forgot to mention that what makes it harder is that there is alot of extra content too that are on seperate CD/DVD's [the main install is a DVD]. Nath.
  2. winrar? or the free 7zip [although I havent tried doing it using that yet]. Nath.
  3. Have some of this: http://msexchange.org/tutorials/Implementing-Exchange-2003-Message-Journaling.html Very easy to do, but dont forget to use some sort of amount of days restriction or your space is going to get used up very quickly lol I think I have it on 60 days [not that i ever look at it - I've got it enbled as a aftermath tool, as I'm sure reading other peoples emails without some legit reason i.e. abuse/misuse, etc., is illegal etc] The Head of ICT decided to remove all the pupil email accounts due to some misuse taking place [minus the 6th form], but if there was a way to prevent internal sending of emails for a specific user group then that would mean they could have them again for a legitimate reason :) Regards Nath
  4. You didn't notice this then: http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/ the successor to Single Click ;) Nath.
  5. Hi all Got 7 copies [10.6 Platinum Edition - the 20th anniversary edition thingy] sitting by the side of me [that have been here a few months] and Media Studies and co. need to get cracking at using them, so i've had a quick look at the DVD and theres a ton of stuff to install... while 7 of them wont take amazingly long to install, it still serves as a PITA when I have to redeploy XP on those machines every so often... So I open it up to you guys.... any one know of any way to deploy it? I've not got anything special to help me in the task except good ol' orca & some good old batch scripting knowledge lol so any ideas would be good... Even if you have managed to do it via some packing software and add the serial via a reg, then if u have any idea how i can pack just the software etc.... it would be appreciated Cheers Nath
  6. If they actually create coursework using Flash then I'm not sure that its possible.... like you say, how would any given system be able to tell whether a .swf file was a game or a project. Your only option [as i see it] would be to get the teaching staff to stop them playing the flash games. Regards Nath
  7. norphy: Indeed... its a interesting design that works well - until you have a row of them tightly packed together all the way around the room [in most schools I'm meaning] as air would flow into one pc then out and back into the next.... etc.... the further right=hand computer technically is well hot heh [of course, I havent really checked, but its possible ] [PS Shame I'm not nearer, the lan party sounds like fun ] With the way i have them in the cupboard, it doesnt matter two much as the hot air rises and due to the way i have installed fans in the cupboard, cold air is drawn in and sucked out the top They haven't caused me any problems while being in the cupboard so the dc5750 should be no different in there. And yes john, I had assumed thats what they had done hehe ^^ although it
  8. Make sure your cabinet is deep enough :) U may need to buy a free-standing cabinet or not, depending on whether your existing one is deep enough. Its the partially the reason why i have tower servers instead of rack mountable ones - a) cabinet not deep enough b) in most cases they are cheaper c) no money or room to buy a freestanding cabinet Oh, and i ditto to john, I've used HP servers since about 1999 here so yup, I'm pretty happy with HP and their servers heh Regards Nath
  9. I'm the same DB I've got the VLK media [download version] and looking at whats extracted seems much different from previous versions.... I noticed theres a folder called update in the root of the install, and the docs mention you can place the hotfixes in there, and it will install them during the install... wonder if that would work with GP too It may well be a self contained install.... Have you tried just placing the root of the install in a hidden share on the server accessible by the computers during boot / GP and trying it out? i.e. dont try to make a Administrative Point first, just try it "as is"? Nath.
  10. I think that me and another edugeek member got unlucky with our 5150's - still... I'm not prepared to run the risk... the 5750's seem to be the newer model so thats why I'm looking at them. With my 5150's, I've had a row of seven that have had ...well... overheating problems in the past [previous to my modding of a cupboard and sticking them in it - they are actually well behaved now they are in it heh but thats another story] and have had quite a few parts replaced on them - tho mainly DVD-ROM drive replacements, and a call out that replaced the motherboard. The other ones I have running in the Music suite are working lovely with Cubase SX 3 Any more thoughts... keep 'um coming Cheers Nath.
  11. Hi all Just wondering if any of you guys 'n' gals have tried the HP Compaq Business Desktop dx5750 series? - the ones with AMD 64 X2 Athlon's in them. Got some more machines to procure and although the dx5150 SFF's are kinda stable, I know a few ppl that have had hell with them, so I'm not keen on getting the same range - thus why I'm looking at these ones They any good? http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=HPCA05346&nbs_search=C%3D102%26S%3D1013%26lang%3Den-gb%26M%3D%26SB%3Dplh%26OK%3D%26K%3Ddc5750 Cheers Nath
  12. Haven't looked into this one myself yet.... guess I'm gonna have to do that now *sighs* Nath.
  13. Dont know about the virus thing, but it could be a hotfix... I've had it happen on occasion and I'm still in the dark with it. Cheers Nath
  14. Good plan.... wish i cud do that hehe Hope you got a hefty UPS for the server - get as much minutes as possible hehe its always worth it And most definately, any server needs a UPS - bar none [unless it doesnt do anything and you have money / time to burn hehe] If your using APC, think carefully with the Powerchute software.... somehow, mine has gone up the creek and i cant uninstall it etc. which also means i cant install it again, and now, if the USB lead is plugged in [from server to UPS], as soon as theres a power cut - there is no management to automatically turn the server off [except when the battery runs outta power] Its all fun though right? Nath
  15. Dot be hard on Disorder... there are plenty of schools [and buisnesses for that matter] that still use Win 98. Why? Because of £££.... In the buisnesses case, most of them are of the school of thought of "it works for me so why should i replace it?". Tell them to replace it because its insecure in many cases wont mean a thing to them because.... they cant understand what you mean. And similarly, in school's, unless you have management who "really knows" whats what i.e. what IE exploits, patching, vunerbilities, etc really are.... then they wont see the justification for it. I *pray* that we wont have to move the old 98 computers around the school when we get to have more in the computer room - as they have had one hell of a bashing over the years, and they need that landfill site too i think. Re-imaging the 98 machines is the best way to go - and even if you dont have Ghost, there are other ways of doing it.... plenty of Open Source gear out there for the task.... network boot disks and mapped network drives will do the job. A bit of learning / reading is required but it is possible if cash and buying imaging software is a problem. Cheers Nath
  16. Anyone been fiddling with your GP settings OutToLunch? as you can allow/disallow flash through that remember I forget where exactly the setting i'm on about are, but im sure either through having a look or some genius posting it, it's worth a look. HTH Nath.
  17. That sounds ideal john... I made the silly mistake [in that I've been getting HP server's and gear for years] of getting a very large SATA HDD for our email box - but then forgetting to get the caddy'd version So one off ebay wud be good - except that i dont know whether ebay do purchase orders hehe [we dont have a credit card] Got a link for one of these caddy's? Nath
  18. That would be my guess / thoughts too - sound can suck when on mains unfortunately with a analog connection... though mine doesnt Just wish i had bought the right cable for optical output [have a combi port on mine that feeds mini jack output or digital out] as i bought a TOS cable - thinking it was the right one. Works for the DVD recorder though - although not using it really yet [until i get phono > phone for my crappy Sky box]. /waffle Nath.
  19. I can't say sorry - but i can say that I deploy the current version via GP and it works well - though our LEA provided version is customised I think using the management system. Works a treat though I managed to update the central install share too after updating a client - you can do this [but be careful with it] using the cache folder in the sophos directory on a up to date client. Backup the old folders on the server first before you overwrite them too - tis the best way to be safe Of course, if u have the Management System, you can probably do this a different way, but if you are in the same circumstances as us - i.e. only the custom end product msi, its a handy way to do it Regards Nath
  20. You can get it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/download.mspx Nath.
  21. Can't say for the corp version but the free home one didnt last long with me... like someone mentioned above, if you do any sort of development work etc, it keeps bugging you about stuff [not the only product that does]. In the end I stuck to what I knew... ClamWin :thumbsup and AVG free is a good one for home too - doesnt flag everything continually either hehe I have Symantec AV [corp] on the server's, and run Sophos from the LEA on the desktops. No problems with this combo here Nath.
  22. lmao :dontknow: good one Nath.
  23. Gonna try this later tonight [hopefully if i remember] Nath.
  24. When you say you just got it, do u mean as part of the C&C: The First Decade pack? Because unless u have all the other games except a few, its probably cheaper to buy the pack. Generals did kind of step up the difficulty... compared to Red Alert 2 / YR that is lol Played quite a lot into the missions. on normal that is I think. Zero Hour exp pack adds a nice element to things too. Nath.
  25. yeah.... or just do that *slaps his own face* must.... not.... waste..... time.... posting..... large.....posts..... Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...