Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Gerry

Members
  • Posts

    445
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gerry

  1. I'm an SSH noob - anyone got any good sites I can read up about it and/or remoting into Linux in general? I've also been meaning to look into it with my hosting account... Isn't SSH a command line tool though? I'd prefer something GUI orientated to be able to demonstrate stuff to my sis.
  2. I have a sister living in Jersey who's using an old Dell laptop of mine with Ubuntu 8.04. She knows how to switch it on, log-in and use Firefox, but I'd like to be able to remotely access the laptop to perhaps fix a few things and show her how to update/install/use software etc... I use XP at home (Linux still doesn't have drivers for some of my hardware yet), so am looking at remote desktopping between OS's somehow. At the moment VNC appears to be the best free offering, but I think I'll still have to get some ports open on her ADSL router to use it. Ideally, I'd like something that is free, works on both XP and Linux, and is easy for a noob to set-up on Linux and through routers. Any ideas?
  3. strpos() will find the 1st occurrence, so if you only want to remove the prefix, it should work fine. http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/func_string_strpos.asp
  4. Seems Mr Bale got a bit angry with the Director of Photography for accidentally interrupting a scene during the filming of Terminator. The audio was leaked, and then someone came up with this: Christian Bale's rant remixed as dance song - Telegraph BTW: Bad Language Warning!
  5. If you think you need to remove a GFX driver, check Add/Remove control panel and select the driver then click "Remove". I usually use PC Wizard to check what hardware is under the bonnet.
  6. I had a few PC's do something similar. Problem turned out to be ATI GFX drivers installed along with Intel's. Removed ATI drivers and they were ok afterwards.
  7. Try disabling bidirectional support.
  8. I have found Ubuntu Forums to be a great help. Also, try this search: configure x11 mouse buttons - Google Search Not sure, but there may be a GUI setup utility...
  9. Literally! [nomedia]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXXwETICYk"]A Cow in a Car on Highway ! Amazing & Awesome ![www.day-video.co[/nomedia]
  10. Our PC's are manufactured by Stone.
  11. A teacher is having problems with their Kingston 1GB Datatraveller (only 1 month old). Sometimes it's recognised, most often not though. Stick it in a rear port, perfectly ok. My own unbranded flash drive works fine no matter which port it's in. I tried an extension cable from the rear, no luck with that either, though my own worked fine through it. The teacher says a few students also have same difficulties with various makes of flash drives. Anyone know of any reason(s) why this would happen? My current theory is crappy motherboard, maybe even power supply. Thanks.
  12. We use CompuSec for laptop encryption. It's free and does what it says on the tin. Make sure you disable it's "Single Sign-On" feature though, as this can remember your domain account log-in which can cause user confusion with password expiry policies. You can set a master password, and the password screen users see immediately after switching on can be customised. As for USB sticks, I think we're going for Kingston's Enterprise DataTraveller sticks, supposedly for ease-of-use, but I haven't played with one yet so don't know if it's any good.
  13. It's all good until it tries to play the file. psExec says mplayerc.exe is started on his PC and I'm a domain admin...
  14. I'm trying to run this on a colleague's PC to test, MPC is starting but says "file not found". C:\>psexec -c -d -i \\MachineName "C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe" "C:\Roxbury.flv" /fullscreen I've also tested with a WMV and had the same result.
  15. We use this: CE-Infosys You can customise the start screen with your own image, and it uses a master password for the forgetful. We're getting hardware-based encrypted flash drives for staff. Probably one of these: Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - DataTraveler For Enterprise
  16. The red circle is the BBFC age rating and is law, just like with films. Anything else is just a recommendation. There's a bit of a spat going on at the moment, with some software organisations saying PEGI ratings should be law, but they are set by the publishers themselves so not likely to happen. Edit: playing some games and watching films in a public area without a licence is also against the law I believe, with large fines if caught (up to ~£60,000?)
  17. Anyone know anywhere else where I can get one of these or something similar? KustomPCs.co.uk - GearGrip G2 Large Harness Can't buy one for work because they won't accept purchase orders
  18. Gerry

    Linux Advice

    Try playing around with a distribution, I recommend Ubuntu - you don't even need to partition your HDD, there is a special Windows installer called Wubi that comes with more recent versions. Mess around with it, read the intro docs and check out Ubuntu Forums if you need additional help. A quick Google search for the terms "linux" and "introduction" produced http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html Oh, and you might want to check out The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/
  19. Check these websites out: What is the best WiFi antenna for me? | Do-It-Yourself Wireless Antennas Update Wireless - Technical Discussion Document Yup, anything that retains water is going to affect wi-fi signal. 5GHz band is much better, but will still suffer some degradation, and if you are going to use it, will have to be registered with Ofcom (for a small fee) as the military and emergency services also use the same band. I would recommend directional antennas, mounted on poles to have a clear line-of-sight, or you trim the trees back a little.
  20. Permissions on the server for every printer by default are "Everyone" can print and the "Creator Owner" can manage. But my problem is an issue with actually installing the printer itself. I forgot to mention that if the drivers are already installed, the printer queues get added. What I don't want to do is go around over a thousand PC's and manually install!
  21. Having a problem connecting users to print queues on Server 2003 SP2. They get the message: "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue". Point and Print restrictions are not used, and I've tried setting the policy "Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policy->User Rights Assignment->Load and unload device drivers" to "Authenticated Users". Sometimes "spoolsv.exe" crashes on clients and the print spooler on the server sometimes stops (probably due to buggy drivers from HP though). Strange thing is it doesn't affect every PC. We have another site where printers are set-up similarly without problems. Any help appreciated.
  22. Found this: Hey, Scripting Guy! Can I Pin a File to the Start Menu by Using a Script?
  23. Thanks john. How about SBS licensing? I've seen mention of a BIOS lock? Most if not all their PC's are a few years old and they were probably pre-installed with XP and have OEM licences. Eventually they'll need to upgrade their hardware, then Vista could be a possibility or the next OS, but not for a few years probably. What are my options here? Thanks.
  24. Hi all, A local business is looking to improve their IT system and I've been asked to help. They only have 3 XP PC's and a till system that all use shared folders located on 1 of the 3 XP machines. Obviously not very secure and they don't have any kind of IT policies in place. I'm going to advise they use a Windows Server of some sort, at the moment I'm leaning towards SBS, but I don't have any experience setting one up. I've just completed a week's course on using MS System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and that's about the extent of my knowledge with MS servers. I need some advice and a place to start research such as recommended books/sites. Thanks.
  25. Word has it's own recovery/repair. File->Open and next to the "Open" button there's a drop-down button - change to "Open and Repair". Failing that, change "open as file type" to "Recover Text From Any File" (or something like that). Not always successful, so I would also use OpenOffice.org.
×
×
  • Create New...