Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pooley

Members
  • Posts

    1,832
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pooley

  1. Ha even if I had the time I wouldn't text.
  2. Did the Cardiff Velothon today. 140k in 6 hours. Was easily the hardest thing I've ever done.
  3. An amazing feat of technology but would I wan't to be a passenger during a vertical takeoff? Bit like a roller-coaster.
  4. Latest chrome throwing up java plugin issues. IE works ok
  5. I'd say for a tech savvy and well connected household your about average. Smart tv, Roku and chromecasts here along with Neflix, on demand streaming and some not 100% legal downloads I top out at over 500gb a month normally.
  6. I work in a Learnpad leader school in South Wales. We have 3 Tectus charging machines (soon to be 8) and it has made a massive difference to how the staff use the Learnpads. As there will be a Tectus in every junior classroom the teachers are more confident that the devices are charging. Why they just can't check the cables are plugged into them while they are in our Lapcabby's is beyond me but hey ho. Not had any issues with LP not switching on from charge, we use the smaller Octavo device (our children were given the choice and they preferred the 8" model) although I am aware of a static issue on some of the older Quarto models. I have 2 of the very latest Quarto models here (we had a training session for other schools last night and were given them to demo) and they are almost identical looking to the new Ipad Air. When we take our new delivery in the next couple of weeks it will take us to around 200 units. Pro's Manageability - update devices remotely Ease of setup Cost Teacher ownership of content - they can upload/create their own resources, no need for me to install individually like I have to on our ipads. Wireless charging (they are releasing a wifi charging solution for ipads shortly along with learnpad for ipad app) Con's Build quality in earlier devices wasn't great (joys of being an early adopter) Can lock up/freeze at time - a long hold of the power will shutoff and allow you to reboot the device. (Even staff can manage that "fix") Camera not great on older models It's take a while but staff are 90% on board and confident in their use, we have support staff creating lessons and content for their intervention groups etc. I'm told there are 3 stages to getting to grips with new devices, Adopt, Adapt and Innovate. We are finally at the Innovate (well some staff are) stage. IF you have any questions just ask, or live locally pop across Si
  7. Congratulations and welcome to the best club you will ever be part of!!
  8. I watched Zulu last night and Mars Attacks! a couple of nights before that. Both entertaining. I really need to sleep more
  9. Amazes me that people still get sucked in. although our caretaker took a call (at home) allegedly from talktalk and was fleased for £800 last Friday. Luckily he mentioned the call to me before I went home and he was able to phone his bank and get it refunded. But both he and his wife spoke to them and gave all bank details, card numbers for debit and credit cards.
  10. Kingsman: The Secret Service. Started quite corny but very enjoyable, definitely worth a watch. Jupiter Ascending - biggest pile of horse sh#t I've seen in a while.
  11. pooley

    rocket man

    Me too, looks fun!!
  12. -13lb in 5 weeks. Happy with that. Cycling and recording everything on MyFitnessPal has helped keep me on the straight and narrow.
  13. We went down the route of Learnpads and have been impressed. Plus points as a tech is the ability to setup easily via qr codes, and manage simply via web portal, you can control, update software and push out apps/profiles remotely. Loving the new wireless charging stations. Cheaper than I shiney devices Support flash - teachers who have 10 year old web bookmarks can add them as resources and the flash games will work. Negative points. The early ones were poor quality wise, charging pins bent etc. staff have to get on board with using them, dare I say planning in advance, no just chuck them in front of a kid and let them play. Most of our teachers have got on board and like the way they can control what the children are doing/using them for. Some kids think they are cr@p, but this is because they can't just take selfies and roam the www instead of doing what they are asked. I'm sure LP will sell a single unit for you to play with and test. If not just install the software onto an android tab/phone and play. Feel free to pm if you need more info. Si
  14. I'm 40 and I didn't vote. Labor got in here with 52.9% of the vote (area lamppost could get voted labor around here) I would of voted for someone else but what's the point, my vote would of counted for nothing.
  15. Misco could and have supplied me in the past, but they have never been as cheap as ebay. So we buy from ebay.
  16. The Volvo "life" paint would be amazing for this. Volvo Creates A Glow-In-The-Dark Paint To Save Cyclists' Lives | Co.Design | business + design
  17. Off topic, just visited imgur and after pressing next a few times have lost 30 mins of my day. Be careful out there people. Imgur can be addictive ....
  18. If that was me i'd now paint it luminous orange or something. Let the neighbors complain - they have the money to paint it a ridiculous colour every week.
  19. They have some CO2 pumps too - worth queuing up for alone at £4.99 a pop
  20. Just finished watching Predestination.... still not sure what I watched or wtf was the plot end game.
  21. I love the Jurassic park franchise. Looking forward to this one.
  22. Just bought 30 laptops from Very PC, very happy with the spec and the price. We wen't for i5 with 8gb ram and ssd - a bit of future proofing I hope ...
  23. That has to be a scam? He goes on about a new operating system? Is this the first "Nigerian King" type kickstarter project?
  24. I love the fact they had it painted at night, imagine waking up to that lol
  25. I use YUMI gives me a menu system that allows me to multiboot different iso's YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux
×
×
  • Create New...