Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

JPS

Members
  • Posts

    304
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JPS

  1. So, forgive my lack of knowledge/experience on these things. I have just used TrueCrypt to encrypt a partition on my laptop. I have set aside about 10Gb for this, where in my case I plan to store some data that is school related. When I log into windows xp, the encrypted partition is not even visible. I have to run TrueCrypt and then mount the device, then enter the password. So if I had something to hide, whatever it may be, legal or illegal, I would presumably reveal my windows login credentials and nothing more. Everyone else then being none the wiser of my 10Gb of 'private' data?
  2. I was just making the point that now everything/everybody has to be treated equally. You cant single out groups of people (in this case bullies) without upsetting somebody. I was bullied at school for sticking out as a 'more intelligent' sort, or perhaps at least 'more studious' (pre cyber-bullying) and yeah it wasnt great but it had no lasting effect. I now know that most of those who were involved were jealous and havent had the success I have had in my career.
  3. So as to not discriminate, we are having a bullying week as well!
  4. MPG, CC, BHP, they're all numbers, I drive because its fun, I change my vehicle regularly as I like a bit of variety. I am a supporter of the noisier the better! Just agreed a trade in this weekend of my Mazda3 2.0 for an MX5 1.8. Pick up saturday morning and cant wait for some rear wheel fun! I think this ensures an increase in road tax and a decrease in MPG but what the hell.
  5. The T60 has arrived from BigPockets. I am very impressed with it so far and there was an added bonus - it was advertised to come with 1GB RAM and it turns out to have 3GB! Now looking forward to putting it through its paces! Once again cheers for all the advice. ---- Happy T60 owner
  6. A little more helpful than my last post; try this link: Health & Safety Sign Law - Safety Sign Supplies the UK's premiere source for safety signs
  7. Make sure it isnt WingDings!
  8. You may be interested in my situation (or was my situation). I have a particularly educational background but not a qualified teacher. In my capacity as an MIS Manager in my last job I was responsible for writing the schools timetable (a really big jigsaw puzzle!). Nearing the end of the procedure I had realised we were short on IT staff to teach the Functional Skills IT to the Diploma students. So for 3 hours across a fortnight I timetabled myself to deliver this part of their course. I do have an IT degree and the subject knowledge was not an issue. I was a member of a union (GMB) and had the full support of the SMT and IT HOD. I thoroughly enjoyed the lessons and had a massive high (better than anything before, legal or illegal) when I received the exam results to find out they all passed! IMO, as long as you have the support of your management I would strongly recommend it.
  9. I understand your point but any teacher training could be considered tom, dick or harry, certainly in their first few months - they are not qualified and usually inexperienced. Everyone has to start somewhere. Also dont think that there is a qualified teacher in the room all the time with a trainee!
  10. Can you not just use Thunderbird?
  11. Thanks everyone for your advice. The T60 it is and due to Los0jos recommendation of BigPockets I have picked one up slightly better specced and with free delivery and 3 months warranty for just a smidgin more. Now I just have to wait for the delivery (or what will be the 'delivery driver missed you and a laptop wont fit in your little postbox' note)!
  12. Okay guys, very helpful so far. A more tricky one (??) however, I am possibly going to install Ubuntu (or similar GUI) but have been told that some hardware isnt compatible. Any ideas on whether the T60 may have this problem? I appreciate this may be tough without knowing the fine specifications, but just in case its simple(???) Thanks
  13. Very helpful Gurra, thanks very much. elsiegee40, thanks for site, I'll be honest I have a Dell desktop and Ive never been particularly impressed (although I bought it many years ago and since then they may have upped their game) so just out of personal preference I have tried avoiding them.
  14. Just checked out BigPockets. They've got the laptops better priced considering I was going to pay £15 delivery for the ones I specified and come with 3 months warranty! Thanks very much Los0jos.
  15. Hi guys, your advice is required. I am purchasing a used laptop (want to minimise cost) and have narrowed to two models: Lenovo ThinkPad T60 T2400 Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 60GB Hard Drive DVDCDRW WiFi XP Professional £160 and IBM ThinkPad T43 Centrino 1.86GHz 40GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM Memory Built In WiFi DVD CDRW ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 XP Professional £170 As you can see both are Thinkpads, but with slightly different specs, my gut feeling is to go with the T43 as the T60 is actually a Lenovo machine. I have had a T43 in the past (work issued) and a Lenovo (but not T60) and I noticed a hell of a difference in build quality. I appreciate the T43 has more RAM which has got to be a good thing but I'm not sure how much difference the processor will make, the fact that the T60 is Dual Core and the T43 isnt. I am not worried about size of hard drive at all. I am leaning towards the T43 but am happy to take on board your views as I am sure many of you have bought various laptops over the years. Also the price will not affect my decision, given the small difference. Cheers for your help in advance.
  16. Well I'm smiling now (for the first time today). Oh well, back to number crunching!
  17. About an 1h 10 mins - 50mins being on the train into london. I personally wouldnt do a trip by car that was gonna take an hour and a half morning and evening.
  18. I have a Dell Streak which is good but big. So far I haven't seen one anywhere else!
  19. Hi guys Need some advice please. I would like to purchase a wireless mouse and keyboard for my home PC, but not sure what to get. Is it as simple as the more you spend the better? Previous experience of this technology wasn't great. I used kit where if the mouse was left idle for some time, I would have to 'pair' it up by pressing various buttons (a real pain as you can imagine) and the keyboard seemed to have a noticable lag, which was a pain for any action games and even for word processing - I would type and I couldnt see it on screen until a little bit later (obviously only a second or two, but enough to be different from what seems instant when using wired kit. I dont want to spend hundreds (cos I'm sure someone produces stuff for that price) but I dont want bargain basement. Is the Microsoft hardware recommended? Any advice would be much appreciated. James
  20. I've just used speedtest here at work and get 88.63 Mbps download and 74.99 Mbps upload. I cant find the gadget show version.
  21. Central Online Curriculum Knowledgebase Gone too far??
  22. I have never bothered using graphs in CMIS. I export to Excel for that purpose. People have correctly said that the 'traffic light system' or RAG analysis as I call it will only be visible in ePortal and Facility assessment templates. I operate this here and am happy to help you set that part up. Currently Facility will not allow output of reports with conditional colouring although they are working on this for a future release (no dates specified though). I use Excel (again) to do my conditional colouring so to provide staff with printed 'colourful' reports. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
  23. JPS

    Had to post

    I'm sure you've all seen it but I had to post it; just seen episode 5 of IT Crowd and I completely pi55ed myself laughing at the bomb disposal/Vista OS comment! Cracking line!
  24. Me and mates did Prague for our 21st (ooh thats a while ago now) and I dont remember any of it! Sorry I cant be of any help.
  25. Yes - i'm gonna use it on all my colleagues that i dont like! Mwah ha ha ha.
×
×
  • Create New...