-
Posts
304 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JPS
-
Well I have learnt an awful lot this afternoon! Now established the MSI I have obtained is for v6.3, which of course wont work with my version 7 of TrueCrypt. So now I am hoping to build my own MSI using AdvancedInstaller which I have never used before (downloading now). Fingers crossed this will be the last hurdle.
-
Right, once installed on the machine it now works (surprise that really, given the drivers required are all in place) so now just a case of rolling out an MSI which I think I have found from another thread. Its a .7z file which I havent seen before but I guess thats what I need.
-
I've installed USBDLM on the test laptop and have been able to assign default drive letters to usb devices but this hasn't helped the situation. The error message is talking about a TrueCrypt device driver, which presumably has to be installed, but can't be due to restrictions. My next thought was to install TrueCrypt on to the laptop. It may solve the issue but then will be a pain to install it on all school machines.
-
Do you think it is just a drive letter issue then?
-
oh shoot, i got excited too early. Just tested it on a teacher account and realised because it needs to run a driver for TrueCrypt to work, the account needs admin privileges, which of course they dont have. Any suggestions, other than granting them admin access? Is there a file from the TrueCrypt folder that I can roll out to all PCs, therefore negating the need for admin rights?
-
I think I have fixed it. I have placed a shortcut in the root with the following target: E:\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe /q background /e /m rm /v "Secure" and a Start In of just E:\ So I should just be able to advise staff to double click that if they dont get autorun. I've also hidden all the contents except of course this shortcut. Would you guys agree I haven't made any oversights?
-
If thats the case it sounds like i'm a bit screwed. Is there any kind of work around for this? Do we know why they have implemented this?
-
Thanks @LeMarchand so far. Am I right in thinking then, I just need a copy of that batch file (hint hint) therefore providing the teacher with one shortcut to use in case of autorun failure?
-
Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Situation is: I have some USB sticks that teachers will use and they are encrypted using TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt is installed on the stick and there is an autorun.inf file as well, so that when they connect it to a PC it prompts them to run the app and then enter the password to mount the device. Problem is: If for some reason the autorun does not work, is there an easy way to execute it manually? Obviously the member of staff could open the TrueCrypt folder and then run the executable and then select mount device, but I am really trying to avoid them having to do so. Any help will be greatly received.
-
Just had to share this, I nearly fell off my chair. Sometime before Christmas I annouonced to HoDs in a meeting that USB memory thingys used by staff were going to need to be encrypted, knowing full well it would go in one ear and out the other, but I had agreed this a while back with my line manager (DH). Anyway, this afternoon my Head of Science comes to my office with 16 new USB sticks and asks for them to be encrypted! Hoorah!
-
So long and thanks for all the fish. [ And some thanks ]
JPS replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Well done mattx, I suspect a move out of education will be a nice change of scenery. Its good to hear you will still be active on the forums though. Good luck. -
I ran this script at my last school (had BM) and I do it here (not running BM yet) and I think it helps. It also means I can alter xml files and then know that the restart at 3 in the morning will apply changes and not disrupt users. Serco will often recommend this course of action.
-
Just the one PSU, so I reckon it was power loss. Thanks @jamesb.
-
Hi guys This should be easy for you lot, but im out of my depth. I had staff lose connection to a server this morning (7.40ish - before I get in) and so I checked the System event log on the server and I can see an event id 1354 Power supply detected a failure Sensor location: PS 1 Status Chassis location: Main System Chassis Previous state was: Unknown Power Supply type: AC Power Supply state: Presence detected, AC lost Does this mean that the server lost power? If not any suggestions for what event I could look for which would indicate a reason for this loss? Thanks
-
That makes sense then. I was thinking about 250-500Mb for 'normal' students and then making exceptions for our 6th formers studying multimedia and IT.
-
Thanks nephilim. To me that sounds quite a bit, have you got an enormous amount of storage, or perhaps quite a small school? We have 1600 students in all (Y7-13) and approx 250 staff.
-
Hi guys Situation here is we are in BSF and our managed IT service commences in September. We are having a (near enough) complete overhaul of the network, which amongst other things has provided an opportunity to look at things like size of user areas and AUPs. What I am after is: - What sort of limits do you apply to user (staff and students) areas (obviously some exceptions depending on subjects studied, ie multimedia courses etc)? - Do you use 'soft quotas' and/or would you recommend this? - An AUP that could be issued to staff and students (probably slightly different ones for each) that would include a section that could be signed, returned and to be held on record. - Do you have a policy where you only enable their account once you have received the signed form? Any help or contributions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks James
-
Well you can imagine the conversation at the dinner table at mine, my sister is a teacher, my mum is a teacher, my dad was a teacher and I was a teacher... hmmm.
-
I understand this is a pain, but can we be careful guys. If you purchased a piece of software and expected to run it on hardware X but in fact that didnt meet min requirements, would you be on the phone to whoever appropriate, expecting the issue to be fixed? @7andY - speak to your sales/account manager and make them aware of the issue, in my experience, they will endeavour to help where possible, ie apply some pressure to support.
-
Well I'm a tea man. I used to drink a hell of a lot (@Cragzman will confirm) and would never be found around school without a mug. Now I'm in a slightly busier job with more pressure from above I dont drink much at all, about 4/5 mugs I suppose.
-
A few good questions I dont know the answers to. All I know is he was in the shop and both TVs were connected to Blu-Ray playing the same film. I have a 720 (32inch) and was thinking about upgrading as I have Blu-ray, but no other HD source, just wondered how likely I am going to notice an improvement? My parents have LG and I'm impressed with it, mine is Samsung and I would happily buy another one (it does fit nicely with my Samsung Blu-ray and Samsung DVD recorder).
-
Apologies @JoeBloggs for coming off topic slightly, I have been told by a friend who has an 42 inch LG, that he could not tell the difference between 1080 and 720 so he opted for the 720 in order to save some money. What do people think of this? If others agree then perhaps consider some 'cheaper' 720 models.
-
Come September we wouldnt even have the option as we will commence with our managed service and Capita/Ramesys will not be paying their techs to support lessons! In an ideal world perhaps, if a school could afford a kind of IT Tech/TA and assign them to each of their IT teachers....
-
My history teacher at school had a brother called Richard Head and he told us that he had to explain to his parents why this wasnt a great name!
-
I wear shirt and trousers and sometimes tie about 90% of term time. The other 10% I really go for it (even have a shave) and look proper 'banker' like, (yes I said banker) but then everyone thinks I have a job interview! I wear anything and everything in school holidays, which is handy - pick-anything-out-of-the-wardrobe days!
