-
Posts
3,858 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by HarryMonkey
-
I don't know that there is such a thing as a recommended rent these days. With more and more people being forced into rented accommodation, rents seem to be set at whatever the market will stand. That varies from area to area too. try looking away from the centre of town, maybe in one of the less popular villages, although often you save in rent but then spend that in fuel to get to work.
-
Well for some of us the exciting part of the summer is fast approaching. The start of the footy season. I for one AM a big fan of footy. I appreciate that some people don't like it but I do and can't wait for the new season to start.
-
I'm right handed in everything except that I eat left handed (My cousin is exactly the same).
-
Try these links ... CGC Maldon Fitness Club - CGC Maldon Maldonprom parkrun | Maldonprom parkrun http://www.tiptreeroadrunners.co.uk/
-
@SiliconAlley_Sam, are you looking to start running or are you a runner looking to join a club? If it's the latter then have a look at the Parkrun website ... parkrun UK turn up to your local one and there will be plenty of folks there to point you in the right direction. If you're just starting off then you could do a lot worse that to work through the Couch to 5k program like I did.
-
Start off gradually and work up. Don't go straight in expecting to do 10k straight off. Do some interval training to build up (15-1-15-1-15) running and walking to build up, if you feel that your pushing too hard then slow down a wee bit, gradually extend the 15 min run by a couple of minutes and your legs will start to get used to it again. Make sure you warm up with a 5 min brisk walk rather than going straight into the run. We can become our own worst enemies by trying to do too much too quickly and it's just counter productive.
-
Another Parkrun completed on Saturday, 5k in 28:04, knocked nearly two minutes off my previous best so well chuffed with that, especially considering how hot it was on Saturday morning
-
Same here.
-
I started in IT back in 1978 (ICL George III mainframes) and have been in it ever since (apart from, a year I spent at a firm building narrowboats). The last 18-19 years have been in schools. I too get bored at times, (although not very often) mainly because our network is so stable that it rarely requires anything doing. I think it's the same with all jobs that sooner or later we start to stagnate.
-
Managed my first 10k last night ... admittedly it was on the treadmill, came in at around 64 minutes. Was hot and drenched but well chuffed at running that far
-
20 miles (around 35-40 mins) each way. Fairly decent road once I get out of the town.
-
The good thing about the Bedford one is that the start line is a 5 minute warm up walk away from my front door Fingers crossed for the shins.
-
I did my first Parkrun on Saturday in Bedford Park. had a really good run. It was nice to do a group run rather than just a training schedule. There were 250 of us doing a 5k, I came in a creditable (I think) 176th. I'm not too sure about the timings. My Endomondo tracker had me do the 5k in 29:25 whereas the course that they had marked. Endomondo had as 5.17k which I did in 29:59. I still enjoyed it though and plan to make it a regular feature.
-
Good luck with week 8. I found that whilst it got that bit harder towards the end, I was actually enjoying it more as the weeks went by.
-
[website] How Well Can You Match Brands To Their Colours?
HarryMonkey replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
74% 0 for the Apple one too -
Your employer has to be part of the scheme in order to take part ... Home - Bike To Work
-
Did a nice run in the rain on Friday, I'd forgotten how enjoyable wet weather running was. Not sure it was any easier but was certainly cooler and then finished off Week 1 on Sunday with a run on the treadmill. I'm not over impressed with treadmill running, at least outside there are things to see, you can create yourself a bit of breeze. Pros ... easier to maintain a constant speed, can have a towel and water to hand, useful stats available at a glance. Cons ... harder to speed up/slow down at the run/walk changeover, boring. Just as hot as running outside, no natural gradients so it's easier to do the whole run on the flat (yes, I know I can introduce gradients but that's just an extra task to perform and what percentage incline and for how long?). Start week 2 tonight, extending the run interval to 15 minutes (x3) with a 1 minute walk .. more running but in fewer bursts. - - - Updated - - - Did a nice run in the rain on Friday, I'd forgotten how enjoyable wet weather running was. Not sure it was any easier but was certainly cooler and then finished off Week 1 on Sunday with a run on the treadmill. I'm not over impressed with treadmill running, at least outside there are things to see, you can create yourself a bit of breeze. Pros ... easier to maintain a constant speed, can have a towel and water to hand, useful stats available at a glance. Cons ... harder to speed up/slow down at the run/walk changeover, boring. Just as hot as running outside, no natural gradients so it's easier to do the whole run on the flat (yes, I know I can introduce gradients but that's just an extra task to perform and what percentage incline and for how long?). Start week 2 tonight, extending the run interval to 15 minutes (x3) with a 1 minute walk .. more running but in fewer bursts.
-
I was just about to post that myself. Our vet has lots of posters in it about lungworm and keeping dogs away from slugs etc. Even to the point of making sure any outside water bowls are clean. I would certainly make sure that the vet knows about this.
-
I started the "bridge to 10k" program last night ... W1R1. Covered 7k in total in 47 mins (although I extended my run a bit to push myself to finish the 7k). It was a fair bit harder than I thought it would be and looking at my stats on the Endomondo app, I slowed down quite a bit as the run progressed. Having said that it was hot last night, even at 7pm so that may have had something to do with it, have a rest tonight (or maybe take the bike out) and hit the park again tomorrow. I'm determined to get to the end but I suspect it may be a lot harder than he C25K program was.
-
A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away." The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the vet.. "How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something." The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room. A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck." The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.. The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "£150!" she cried, "£150 just to tell me my duck is dead!" The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been £20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now £150."
-
I found that too but it's worth sticking with the plan. It does work.
-
Ouch. I broke mine a few years ago so I know what you're going through. I don't foresee me getting to half marathon running. I will count myself lucky if I can do the 10k tbh.
-
Well, after a while of having an injury that stopped me running and then moving house, I've finally taken to the road again (or to the park to be precise). I've done a few 5k runs over the last few weeks and have now started to run 6k. Following the success to of the "Couch to 5k" programme, I've decided to embark on the "Bridge To 10k". This is a similar schedule of podcasts to take you from running 5k to being able to run 10k in just 6 weeks. The plan is to start that next week and hopefully being able to do a 10k run by the time I hit 56 in August. It's quite a daunting prospect, but IIRC, so was the 5k before I started it. Anyway, nothing ventured etc etc.
-
I take mine to one in Wolverton that does a brilliant job. Inside and out, leaves the car pristine and all for £15.
