-
Posts
3,858 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by HarryMonkey
-
Article: EduGeek Back to Work Competition 2014 - Week 3
HarryMonkey replied to Dos_Box's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
Hmmm, looks like we might need a new firewall. -
Well done and good luck for the weekend. Let us know how you get on
-
-
Just a quick heads up, for anyone interested, Aldi are doing one of their specials on running gear as of yesterday. Might go and get a jacket for when the bad weather gets here ... https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-9-october/ On a different note, the Achilles seems to be easing a bit but still nowhere near ready for running yet Might try an hour on the bike at the weekend as it's driving me mad not being able to run.
-
I lived in Surrey some time ago (early 70s). I went back there last weekend, the house I lived in ... 3 bed semi, has an estimated value of £316,000 !!
-
Buy a house, nothing massive, and a new car each for me and my girlfriend, or maybe even become a one car family !! Given our ages we could probably both afford to take early retirement and enjoy life without the stresses of work.
-
Unfortunately, adding shop bought dressings is just going to counteract your healthy eating. Most of them are so packed full of fats/calories/sugar/salt. Try making up different salads, olives, peppers, corn, a bit of vegetable rice, boiled egg, add in some lean beef, tuna low fat cheese etc. Have a look at making your own dressings, that way you can control what goes into them.
-
As would I ... thanks in advance.
-
Woto has come up with the world's first job ad written in code ... World's First Job Advert Written Entirely in Code
-
Maybe, maybe not. However, the mains lead, where present, is still a testable part of the setup (albeit only requiring a visual inspection).
-
Seems that I've bruised my Achilles according to my GP. No running for another couple of weeks
-
I can't say that I've experienced that. Could it be that your shoe is too tight and not allowing your foot to expand properly as you run?
-
I started the Couch To 5k program back in January and can't speak highly enough of it. I hadn't run for 40 years so was a bit wary of what I was about to do but I can honestly say that it has changed my whole view of running. I entered my first race in March and regularly do a Parkrun. Since graduating from the C25K, I've embarked on the Bridge To 10k program and whist it's hard work, I am loving it. I'm not allowed to run at the moment as I've damaged my Achilles but can't wait to get the running shoes on again. My advice would be to download the C25K podcasts and follow them, making sure that you rest when it tells you to, listen to your body and don't try to over do it. Get a decent (not necessarily expensive) running shoes and get out there and enjoy yourself.
-
Having spent several hours in surgery after going down the road wearing textiles (a crash at 30mph caused by another road user), I would never ever, ever, ever advocate wearing anything else but leather. They may not look pretty or be as comfortable, but then again, neither are the scars or the surgery.
-
I never wear anything but short sleeves, at least for work. I suspect it will be at least a month or so before our heating goes on. Lounge and bedroom windows still open 24/7.
-
Did my first proper outdoor 10k last night. I was doing week 4 Run 1 as part of the Bridge to 10k program and finished my final 18 minute run at around 9k so thought I may as well continue to get the full 10 k in. Completed it on 61 minutes which I was well pleased with, (especially as that included 2 minutes of walking as part of the program). What I'm not so well pleased with is the soreness in my achilles afterwards and this morning but hopefully a few days of not running will clear that up.
-
I'll have a look at Fitbit. I have the Endomondo Life app too (only for iPhone 5) which counts your steps and tells you how many calories you've burned. It runs in the background and doesn't need me to remember to switch it on or anything (appears to have no effect on battery life either). So far today I've done 708 steps and burned 32 calories. Mind you, my phone has been sat on my desk most of the morning lol)
-
My graduation run for my C25K was a 5k race in Milton Keynes, the first competitive running I'd done for 40 years ... since I was at school, I was so pleased to finish under the 30 minute mark (In fact I was just pleased to finish), the Parkruns are really good, everyone is there just for a bit of fun but it's amazing how competitive yo become, even with yourself. I've put the Endomondo App on my iphone and that gives me some good feedback on laptimes, fastest 1k etc as well as being able to go onto the website and plan runs on their interactive map. I too can't believe the impact that running has made and I just wish I'd started earlier rather than waiting until I was 55 lol
-
Yes, I would go along to a running shop (even though I didn't ... I wasn't in a position to spend a lot on shoes so I just went to Sports Direct). The process is called Gait Analysis and they will match shoes to how you run and can often pick up on things you might be doing wrong. I took a bit of a (enforced) break from running and have now started the Bridge To 10k ... it's hard work but worth the effort. I'm also doing the occasional Parkrun as well and have found my 5k times getting quicker. I've also noticed a huge difference in fitness, I sleep better, feel healthier and happier (although that might be also due to me new relationship lol), I've dropped a size in clothes, I've also found myself looking at food labels now, and my alcohol consumption has plummeted, not wanting to undo all the good work I'm doing. I just need to remove the "middle age spread" now and I'll be happy
-
I know what you mean but you really need to take care of those knees. I had a problem with mine back in Jan/Feb when doing the Couch To 5k and I found a generous application of Volterol, a support bandage and an ice pack after a run helped, even running in a tubigrip helped but the best thing I did was get a pair of proper running shoes, from that moment on the pain subsided and running became a pleasure again. Like others have said, listen to your body, if it starts to hurt then stop and let it get over the damage before you do even more damage to it. Rest days are frustrating but essential.
-
Nooooo, don't run every day. Your body needs time to recover and repair any damage done. Run every other day and if you really need to do something in between then try swimming or just some light gym work.
-
Bear in mind that if you're chasing the walls that you cannot run the network and the mains in the same enclosure. If you run the mains in the channel that you've chased in you MUST put the network in trunking or vice versa (This is a requirement of the wiring regs and has nothing to do with interference).
-
A sad day indeed. A fine actor and comic genius. Until the stigma is removed from mental illness, more people will continue to suffer in silence with tragic consequences..
-
I found it ok, the other housemates were nice enough ... older professional types. It had the advantage of a garden and a garage for storing stuff in. We all left at different times in the morning so there was never a queue for the bathroom. You just need to be a bit tolerant/creative around cooking times and organize times between you. Nice to not have to worry about the next gas bill etc.
-
Bl**dy hell. I was paying £350 for a room with shared kitchen and bathroom in MK.
