Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICT_GUY

Members
  • Posts

    2,543
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ICT_GUY

  1. There was language coming from a darkened cupboard, It too 30 minutes for it to cease.
  2. I am due to pick up a milling machine at the weekend, a heavy duty brass usb memory stick will be one of the first projects, probably in the shape of something inappropriate.
  3. My main DC updated last night. It completed the updates, Stalled on 100% with the do not turn off dialogue. Eventually I had to manually restart the server this morning which caused no end of problems with the server freezing solid when you logged in. Finally rebooted it into safe mode and ran scan disk on all drives. I then rebooted all of the servers, logged back in and left it for 10 minutes at which point it gave me a "failure to open security options dialogue" error. Rebooted it again and it seems to be fine. Nothing showing up in event viewer to say what went wrong either. Hell of a way to start the day. Server 2008 64bit edition.
  4. Me too, 10/10.
  5. http://www.keyzone.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=ahh61fgdhojj1um8huje877pf7&keywords=shelf&x=0&y=0
  6. I hate listening to my wife sleeping, its such a deafening cacophony of odd snorts, farts, moans and snores that I can rarely here myself think let alone concentrate on reading a book.
  7. check the windows firewall, it plays havoc if it doesn't have it ports opened.
  8. I believe you have my stapler. And how many times have you wanted to burn the place down whilst mumbling something about missing office supplies?
  9. How about the red swingline stapler. Esoteric, but I love the film office space. http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/swingline.jpg
  10. Are we still allowed to use $&*$? Or **** Or ^$&*£%@*?
  11. Love it, much more so than fire fox, IE7 never gets used apart from windows update.
  12. ICT_GUY

    New Suite.

    The room whilst a good size, is not really that big. I took the photo with my digital SLR with a fish eye lens then ran it through PSP's fisheye fixer. It allowed me to take a picture of the Cab from 6 inches away! Its a cool bit of kit that I borrowed (the lens), I must buy one for myself but at £200 - £400 its not going to happen this lifetime.
  13. ICT_GUY

    New Suite.

    Came as part of the refurb, two rooms knocked into one, wiring, benches, air con, server room & aircon, 36 pcs, rack, switches & servers. Total cost 40K ish.
  14. I spent a year working on the smt to go with a dedicated new suite rather than wireless laptops. So glad they saw sense.
  15. ICT_GUY

    New Suite.

    Thanks everyone, its amazing how hard it is to do this stuff on your own. Things I have learned. Unpacking 50pcs can take 5 - 8 hours Moving 250kgs of servers switches and cabinet can be hard work. Moving 1.5 tonnes of PC's from one side of the school to the other is something I don't want to do again any time soon. HP supply their top end severs with CD drives despite the server software coming on DVD's
  16. ICT_GUY

    New Suite.

    You may have noticed that I have not been around that much over the past month. The reason being I have been installing a completely new suite whilst at the same time moving our network over to three new servers running server 2008. Also relocating the servers to a new air-conditioned room far away from my office. (the quietness is deafening, I never realised before that my external HD had a fan that would come on intermittently!). You may have been aware that SCL was doing a edugeek deal some months back, 2.5 Ghz dual core PC's with 2 gigs of ram and a nice TFT for £300. Well we ordered 50 of them. I equipped the new suite exclusively with them and replaced all the class pc's with the same boxes. What a difference! I cannot praise SCL and Dan W enough, after all the hand holding and help. Out of 50 pc's I have only had one refuse to boot, and that was because the memory had shifted, which is hardly surprising. So thats 50 sub £300 pcs with no failures. I have also been supplied with a number of spares in case of mobo failure, since there is nothing worse than having a single PC with a non standard mobo. All kit arrived on time and worked can't say fairer than that. Oh and here are some pics. http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/newsuite/suite_1_small.JPG http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/newsuite/suite_2_small.JPG http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/newsuite/new_server_small.JPG
  17. If you have had the training, then why sign? They should have notified you before you took the class. There is no way I would sign that after the event. I doubt that they could force you to sign, though you could always use the "I will check with my union rep first" bluff and see what your boss says.
  18. Cool!, shame about the power toys though, but still woohoo!
  19. Our new dual core 2.4ghz pcs with 2 gigs of ram and gigabit nics with a gigabit connection direct to the server with very little traffic & 2 x dual core domain controllers and only one client seem to login pretty quick
  20. I am having a problem with Ghost 7.5 and our new servers. When run Ghost server is not contactable, the client is picking up the IP address but cannot talk to the server in question. I have one running server 2003 but running ISA (which I know will probably stomp all over ghost communication but I tried it anyway). The other is running server 2008 32bit, with a few other services. Any ideas? I can only think that its a computability issue with server 2008. Its not the switches, I have check and can ghost from my old servers across the new switches quite happily. The application works fine.
  21. I agree just work through the problems, do not work lunch breaks, do not come in early and go home on time, all of you. Explain to everyone that their problem is number XXX and you will be able to fix it in XXX days. See how long it is before something gives. After all you should be able to pick up some noobie for little more than minimum wage.
  22. These are ace. I hate installing .net notmally casue it takes so much hand holding to get all three installed.
  23. Looks like you could disable the service with msconfig > services, though the wiki uninstall directions are really very simple.
  24. Yes to the alternatives, maybe throw in ccleaner and xp power toys?
  25. mobo = £30 from any supplier, then choice of cpu from £30 upwards, just get a mobo that supports the same memory type and speed. Its likely to be a mobo issue rather than a cpu issue unless something obvious like over heating has killed it. The CPU is usually the last thing to get nuked. If it does the MOBO will have taken a greater beating first.
×
×
  • Create New...