-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
s2s connection post leaving Link2ICT
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
It may be worth looking at a different LEA ISP provider for the s2s connection. We have our SIMs Parent Gateway via a different LEA so may be possible to extend a connection for Data extraction. -
That is one of the problems with Link2ICT\BGfL they only offer an all or nothing package for essential services such as the secure data transfer. It also goes further with AV and their core services in that you have to use them as an ISP or lose the package altogether. Link2ICT are very slow at waking up to the realities of business, they either offer flexible packages or go bust as they watch their business fade away. I may be wrong here but I think we can purchase ISP or other services from neighboring LEA ISP providers which may help.
-
s2s connection post leaving Link2ICT
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
I must of missed that thread, do you have a link? :-) -
Looking at the consequences of leaving Link2ICT as our ISP and would like to ask anyone in the region that has moved already or is in the process of moving away, how did you or plan to continue with the FTP and Data Extract elements over the DFEs s2s connection? All the other services are easily worked around but I haven't seen anything on how the secure data extraction works post moving ISPs I posted this here as I'm particularly interested in how Birmingham schools have done this but solutions from other areas would be of value too. Thanks
-
I've just bought a load of these cheap as chips but decent quality. Thanks to Chris at Computer Products for sourcing them. :-)
-
The information gained from the Internet is perfectly safe. The danger lies in individuals use of that information and in this case it is up to parents to teach the difference between right and wrong. Yet again the responsibility of parenting is being passed to the state, very soon our children will be raised in farms only to meet adults when they are old enough. Now, in the meantime, what are we going to do about those kitchen knives?
-
Summer Project (mechanic minded people appreciated!)
alan-d replied to kmount's topic in General Chat
To me it sounds like a solenoid problem but I'm no expert either However on a slightly different note, when I had my kit car I found Rimmer Bros to be very good at supplying parts. -
I agree that there should be some form of grading system based on the qualifications or experience an individual has. Anyone here who has served in HM Forces will know the sort of thing I mean. for Example; Grade 1 - new entrant basic office skills, PC maintenance, printer maintenance, basic software installation, help-desk ............... Grade 2 - PC Build, intro to AD and networking, ................ Grade 3 - Advanced level of grade 2 tasks and server admin ................ Grade 4 - Advanced server admin, web sites ...................... Grade 5 - Team management, FITS, Policy making, purchasing .............. I'm not saying the above should be read as gospel but you get the idea. The problem comes down to that old problem of 'Funding' Most schools barely spend enough to buy a Server 200# manual never mind fund a training course, which leaves the IT Department to train in-house which further leads to an array of variations as to what is required as we all know, time is precious. As you stated, this sort of thing should have come from one or all of the agencies that are now gone, so who is going to lead it, design it, fund it and monitor it? A nice dream and one I would love to be part of but at the moment I just can't see where the required resources would come from. You can pretty much rule out public funding for the foreseeable future which leaves the Private Sector which understandably would want to see a way of producing a profit. Any lottery winners out there looking for a little project to spend on?
-
It depends how often you would be towing. I've towed a 1100Kg caravan with a 1.6 Focus which was fine until I hit a slope with a slippy surface. A 1.8 petrol should do well but if you tow a lot then go for a diesel 1.8 or above. As you say, the kerb-weight is the most important. The recommendation is 85% of the cars kerb-weight although you can tow up to 100% and stay within the legal limits. Another consideration is whether the trailer is braked or not. If not then the heavier the vehicle is compared to the trailer the better but I imagine at 750Kg it would be braked anyway.
-
The oem license goes with the machine (We use volume licensing anyway so usually the oem licence is a cheap home version). We unregister any software and either format them or send them as they are providing there is no personal data on them. That is if they are going to another school. If they go elsewhere they are formatted or we get a certificate of destruction if they go for recycling. We never sell PCs or laptops to individuals as you would have to add the VAT at the time of purchase onto the cost and format them thoroughly.
-
What bossman says I have sold old equipment in the past to other schools in need though.
-
I know someone who may be interested in that, do you have the details? Thanks
- 11 replies
-
- aston university
- job
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
It says that CMIS experience is desirable can I assume that will be progresso in the future? Not that it matters, I use SIMs here, so a new learning curve either way :-) The email address above is wrong it should be aston.ac.uk not auea.co.uk
- 11 replies
-
- aston university
- job
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
May your underpants be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels!
-
I'm looking to get some software to carry out long term analysis of bandwidth and network traffic on our network. I've looked at a couple such as the offering from solarwinds but before I start downloading and installing demos etc. Can I ask for any recommendations or non recommendations which users hereabouts have tried or used? Many thanks :-)
-
There are too many people being paid silly amounts to think up these ridiculous ideas
-
Sent you a PM :-)
-
How many are you after? For a reasonable donation to our school charity funds I have some of these available. PM me if you need to know more. Components Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz 3GB RAM DDR - J6G1 (No ECC) (69) Hard Drive ST380817AS ATA Device Network Card Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection-WFP LightWeight Filter-0000 Drives Floppy disk drive Drives TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SH-M522C ATA Device Graphics Card Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Soundcard High Definition Audio Device Other Components Serial Communications Port Other Components Parallel LPT1
-
I believe Ruckus are also shortlisted to provide the City wide wireless solution along with BT and another company whose name escapes me at the moment.
-
Could be handy in a power cut!!!
-
ICT Strategic Manager Job Role
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
Many thanks to those that pm'd and emailed me details. Keep them coming. -
ICT Strategic Manager Job Role
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
Thanks, I may do that. Are you still on the same email address? -
ICT Strategic Manager Job Role
alan-d replied to alan-d's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
Hello - long time no see I'm aware of that advertised post. Just weighing up options at the moment hence the quest to find what other Job descriptions cover at that grade and post title.
