-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
Just come out of a meeting with Capita Rep and the news is that there is now a patch available to enable FMS to give all the correct reports required as well as a few other bells and whistles. It should be part of the Spring Release (If I heard correctly) but schools needing it before then can get it early. I can't give more detail as my SIMS\FMS expert is away this week but your usual FMS contact should have the details.
-
Sorry Can't help with the setup as we don't use Shibboleth. I have a copy of the text file you were looking for though but it seems adding attachments to posts is broken for me at the moment. If you pm me an email address I can send it that way. (Bit too big to paste here)
-
I've been trying to reply to a post and include an attachment without success. It's a .txt file. I click add file, browse, select etc and all seems to work except the file does not appear for me to select. I've deleted some old attachments used in previous posts thinking I may have reached a limit but the problem still remains. The only error I can see is I'm using IE8 but have used the attachment facility before without problems. Is it broke?
-
I always knew you had a face suited to Radio
-
I did notice that but I didn't know there was a tracker entry listing the modules. I'll have a look for it tomorrow.
-
I've been having a look at Moodle 2 and what problems to expect if we decide to update the live site. Just as a heads up for anyone else thinking of updating to Moodle 2 here is a short list of issues I've come across so far; Modules Not (yet) supported Autoview Exercise ipodcast LightBox Gallery Mindmap Blocks not (yet) supported Wikipedia Database issues Before importing the DB from the live site change the MyISAM Tables to InnoDB and where possible change the collation to UTF8-general_ci, it will save a lot of switching back and forth during the install process. (PhpMyAdmin is a good tool to do this) I found that recreating our live site and updating that to Moodle 2 worked better than trying to import the DB to a clean install of Moodle 2 Please feel free to add any other problems and\or cures you come across. I've still got a lot of testing to do so may well add to the list later. I'm running our test setup on Win 2008 Svr with the latest Apache, MySQL and Php installs.
-
Article: For those that missed the EduGeek/Microsoft Webinar
alan-d replied to ZeroHour's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
Same here -
Thanks - I thought I was going insane for a while there
-
Book? Where? No email
-
Finally!!! A date and location where I can actually attend one!
-
Another one for Stone here.
-
Bit of a sweeping statement there! Maybe if you read the thread properly you may have spotted the quote from this site. Does it look familiar?
-
Did you mean that or is it another Red Herring?
-
Calling something a Red Herring when it should read 'White Elephant' That's been bugging me all morning
-
Woohoo!!! I won one
-
If it's not a hole in the roof then I'd say it was condensation running down the pole.
-
FB is blocked by BGFL here, do you have an unfiltered connection you use within school?
-
Because the people whose job it is to play with the National Curriculum have suddenly realised that if all schools become academies then they will be out of a job, so they are making themselves infalible by saying that the National Curriculum needs fixing. It's a bit like one of us taking a win 95 machine apart for something to do because the new win 7 machines don't need mainenance (OK bad example but you get the gist )
-
Some useful info here Guidance on transfer of school staff to academies and on the attached pdf. TUPE1.pdf
-
Article: BETT 2011 - Capita and Stone Computers Demo
alan-d replied to Domino's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
Is that only available on Apple products or can it be used on any Tablet\Smartphone? -
Help with my dissertation research, for Educational IT Infrastructures
alan-d replied to envy's topic in General Chat
Done -
From a quote Intel Dual Core E5300 2.60GHz LGA775 FSB800 2Mb Cache CPU Intel Micro ATX DG41RQ 1333MHz, DDR2 800MHz, 1K LAN, VGA, PS2 Motherboard Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Non ECC CL6 Dimm Samsung 160Gb 7200 RPM 8Mb Sata II Hard Drive Samsung Black Sata 22 X DVD Writer PC71131 MicroATX Black Silver Chrome Small Form Factor Case 5 Year Next Business Day On-Site Warranty LGA 775 Ball Bearing Heatsink and Fan £411 The quality is decent and we standardise throughout the school wherever possible which reduces maintenance costs after the warranty expires. The 5 year NBD on-site warranty is a big selling point for us too. We could get them cheaper but long term costs start to rise when it comes to maintaining them not just monetry but technician time is also considered.
-
We also have a page on the Intranet to reinforce the point. Have a look here - it has some useful links for more info
-
Oh - forgot to mention - if you do find illegal content then lock the user account and report it. Don't touch it again until authorised to do so by whoever is investigating.
-
Then you should not have to worry about restricting access. Gather your evidence and present it to SMT with a reminder of the contents of the AUP and (if it's illegal material) a note to say that you will refrain from reporting it to the police until they have had a chance to investigate the matter. You could do what I did and just tell SMT (after the first 3 violations) that you have contacted the police who will be arranging an appointment to see the HT - That worked a treat However, if restriction is the way you want to go then disable the ability to install software which cuts out some misuse. You could go the whole way and install a filter but you will be adding sites on a daily basis unless you use a white list, which is still going to give you headaches. We restrict staff installing anything onto the network and use the AUP as a lever for anything else but you MUST have SMT support. If you don't have that support then you must document everything eg files found, where, time, date, who it was reported to and any actions taken etc etc. Then if it comes back and they look for a scape goat you will be covered.
