-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
Tend to agree with Leco. Opinions vary on the issue of using single domains in school. I personnally still favour two as this gives better isolation of systems and data on the admin network. If you want to consolidate (there is no way to 'merge' sadly), you will either have to recreate AD objects (user acounts, groups, computer accounts) or use the AD Migration Tool (ADMT - now at V3.something) to 'clone' the objects into the target domain. Whatever you do, it's a fair old job. You may want to consider a whole new domain and migrate AD objects from both existing domains into a new one.
-
My guess would be a driver issue. My organization has just gone through a big terminal server implementation and we have had to ditch all our HP 2600 printers. This was because there was no 64 bit driver, but it does say something about the commitment of HP to support these printers in a business environment. If possible try the same printing jobs on a different type of printer and see if the problem is still there.
-
A Guide to Profiles - EduGeek.net Wiki
-
The AirStation arrived today and is now in and running. Quite easy to configure and definitely gives a better signal than my old SpeedTouch box. Thanks again for the advice.
-
Nice. Glad to hear you had an excuse for going to PC World. I assume you wore a disguise...
-
Have ordered the Buffalo AirStation from Misco...
-
Not sure if you are referring to my 'robocopy' post but if so, ROBOCOPY is smart enough to only copy files that are different. It works this out by looking at things like date/size of the files. There will be a compare, but it is not byte for byte and does not take long.
-
Thankls for suggestions everyone. I'll take a look on eBay and see what comes up!
-
I was going to suggest something like this, but rather than use MSI, which requires certain skills, I would just use a startup scrtipt that ROBOCOPYs from the server to a drive on the PC e.g. ROBOCOPY \\servername\profileshare\mandatory C:\Profiles\Mandatory /e /purge (guessing syntax from memory, but this is a basic sync that only copies changes) You would also need to ensure the security on the C:\Profiles\Mandatory path was such that users could read and not write. This could be achieved in a number of ways (eg CACLS or GP) User accounts would then be set to use profiles from C:\Profiles\Mandatory\(profilename)
-
I've just switched from PlusNET ADSL to Virgin Media 2MB cable (hope I don't regret this in light of other posts I have seen about Virgin!). Anyway, I need to get a wireless broadband router to replace my existing ADSL setup. Does anyone have any recent experience or recommendations for wireless broadband routers fitting the following spec? 802.11g - I don't need/want any MIMO/N/N+ or whatever WPA/WPA2 - I definitely want better than WEP this time uPNP - I know, I know, but it's useful with Azureus Vuze Affordable - by which I mean < £50 ! Thanks,
-
Welcome back! I can't pretend to understand the ins and outs of what has had to be done to get things working again, but I can imagine how much effort you guys have put in. Very well done ZH, DB and everyone else involved.
-
Are you saying that something does not work or are you asking how to implement? Not sure if you might need something like this (Whirly Wiry Web, Guide to Neat Net Code - Launch-in-IE) to help with launching applications from code in a web page.
-
I'm asking to be shot down, but I would say that it will not be possible. These two domains are obviously not linked (as you say) and there is therefore no trust between them. You will not be able to add groups from domains that are not part of the domain to which the machine belongs or that are trusted by it either directly or transitively. You have opted for total isolation and this is the downside. EDIT: You could join the networks and add routing between the IP schemes (if necessary) and then create a trust but I suspect you have them on seperate networks for a reason!
-
Are you redirecting the desktop? You can check the location of redirected folders in regedit (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders\Desktop) Have you set the policy that forces the deletion of local copies of roaming profiles? Is it working? Does the local profile that gets created when your test user logs on actually disappear when they log off? If not, try installing UPHCLEAN which can help.
-
Well, all this just takes the cake! I signed up for Virgin a couple of weeks ago (phone & 2MB broadband) hoping to bring my BT & PlusNet costs down. This morning I see them get slammed by OFCOM and now I read this thread! Just watch how fast I rip up those contracts I almost signed this morning!!
-
P2V converter - anyone used it?
ajbritton replied to Sirbendy's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I P2Ved my old Win2K PC when I got a spanking new quad-core XP machine. The VM version is actually quicker! I did have trouble getting it to work though. The P2V process fell over at 97% and would not complete. It was something to do with disk drivers. I had to manually replace the ATAPI.SYS file in the virtual image with the VMWare disk driver (VMSCSI.SYS) to enable it to boot. There was a bit more fiddling required to get the VMWare tools properley installed and away it went. This article (VMWare: Migrating Windows XP and 2000 to a Virtual Machine | Diary Products - Hannes Schmidt) was what got me through it. Not sure if you are having the same problem, but I thought this might be useful to point out anyway. -
A colleague who attended last weeks SIMS annual conference informs me that a new deployment mechanism for SIMS is coming soon. It will be based on an MSI 'agent' which will presumably be deployable by GP. There will also be what sounds like a 'push' feature allowing specific workstations to be targeted. I don't know if there is anything concrete posted on the Capita SIMS website, but assuming they are not fibbing at the conference, it looks like we won. Yay! Well done all you geeks and thanks to Phil for listening. The proof of the pudding of course...
-
Agent ransack is an excellent little app and supports regular expression search filtering on filename/path and text content. It also seems quite happy to work in 'portable' mode if you just copy the files to a USB drive.
-
Googling for 'recover EFS' turns up a few promising looking hits. This one (encrypted file system recovery) had some tech info if you are wanting to DIY.
-
I very much doubt that permissions on the folder you are redirecting to would prevent the script from writing to the registry. If it's just the 'Shell Folders' key that is erroring out, you could try skipping it altogether. The Technet article here (Windows Confidential: The Sad Story of the Shell Folders Key) states that the 'Shell Folders' key is only there for compatibility reasons for a few bad apps.
-
The error message suggests that there is an existing connection open between the PC and the server. I would try the following; 1 - Create a new local user account on the PC and make it a local admin (add to the Administrators group) 2 - Reboot the PC and log on as the new user account 3 - Try joining the domain again If this fails, there may be some service that is connecting to a resource on the domain. You could try booting the PC and logging on whilst disconnected from the network. Once logged in, reconnect to the network and try the domain join again.
-
Hi James, I'm a big fan or Portable Apps myself, being old enough to remember when all apps worked like that! It's nice to see the Portable Apps suite slowly evolving with new apps being added and the menu/backup system being updated. Incidentally, the first mention of Portable Apps (that I could find) on EduGeek was in 2006 here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/2151-portable-apps.html
-
Another thing to watch out for with Startup Scripts is the default timeout. Can't remember what it is OTTOMH but Windows will not wait forever for scripts to complete (Startup or Logon). The timeout can be set with GP. In my experience, the problem with using IE for forms (apart from the ickiness factor) is that the user can easily close the IE form at which point if the script references it, it errors out.
-
Easy in AutoIt, which lets you create custom forms and display them in any way you like. The script can then continue to do its work. Once done, the form is hidden and destroyed. #include ; Disable event mode Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 0) ; Create a form with no control menu/buttons $Form1 = GUICreate("Backup Script", 333, 49, 193, 115, BitOR($WS_CAPTION,$WS_POPUP,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS)) ; Add a label $Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Backup underway - please be patient", 8, 8, 314, 28) ; Set the label text size GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif") ; Display the form GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; Code here to do stuff ; End of work code ; Hide the form GUISetState(@SW_HIDE) ; Destroy the form GUIDelete($Form1)
-
I'll be doing the London to Brighton bike ride on June 15th in aid of the British Heart Foundation. If anyone would like to sponsor me, I would be very grateful. If you would like to sponsor me, you can do it here: BHF London to Brighton - Andrew Britton's Fundraising Page Many many thanks. Andy.
