Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. Attached is a zip file containing a hastily cobbled together AutoIt script and INI file that will watch for the arrival of a particular drive letter. When detected, a simple directory copy (with forced overwrite) will take place and the script then waits for the drive to disappear before returning to its original wait mode. It's had very limited testing but seems to work OK.AutoBackup.zip
  2. You can, but the syntax is along the lines of robocopy (SourceDir) (DestinationDir) (FileSpec) e.g. robocopy C:\ D:\ *.doc
  3. Want to let Microsoft know how dumb they are for breaking GPSI deployment in Office 2007? The GPO GUY suggests you leave a comment on a blog post by a member of the Office Resource Kit team. Come on folks, let's kick their butts. The GPOGUY-- Group Policy Blog: Don't Like How they broke GP-based Deployment of Office 2007?
  4. This can be done through group policy. Computer Config, Admin Templates, Windows Components, Terminal Services, Allow Users to connect remotely using Terminal Services. I've used this policy on dozens of sites to enable remote desktop logon to XP machines. "Allow users to remotely connect to this computer" Remote Desktop option is grayed out How to configure a computer to receive Remote Assistance offers in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP
  5. 3 obvious errors; 1 - The 7th line of code should read; If Not objFSO.FileExists("C:\windows\System32\SystemTray.dll") Then 2 - The first line of code in the 'copysystemtrayfile' sub should read; objFSO.CopyFile "\\fn.local\NETLOGON\bin\SystemTray.dll", "C:\windows\System32\" 3 - The 'Dim filesys' is not required You might also want to use a system variable to determine the location of the System32 folder rather than hard coding it as 'C:\Windows\System32'. This whole script would be easier to write in AutoIt; const $SysTrayDllSource = "\\fn.local\netlogon\bin\systemtray.dll" if not FileExists(@SystemDir & "\SystemTray.dll) then FileCopy($SysTraySource, @SystemDir, True) RunWait("regsvr32.exe " & @SystemDir & "\systemtray.dll /s", @SystemDir) EndIf Of course if you were to use AutoIt scripts, you would not need the SystemTray dll in the first place as AutoIt can already do that!!
  6. The problem returned to my laptop. I disabled the AutoUpdate service but found that I could no longer do manual Windows Updates! I've since upgraded RAM to 2Gb and re-enabled AutoUpdate. The problems have not recurred. I speculate therefore that the WindowsUpdate service was taking up a lot of RAM and causing lots of paging to take place.
  7. I don't know, but I have head that Microsoft PowerShell may be incorrectly capitalised!
  8. I'm looking for an affordable (cheap as chips) NAS & USB external drive enclosure that will take 2 SATA drives (drives are not the same size or age). I don't need any RAID function. It might be nice to have FTP/HTTP capability but not essential. Any recommendations? EDIT: Forgot to mention that this would be for home use, so the quieter the better.
  9. I've been a fan of 'Gizmo' Richards Support Alert newsletter for a while now since I discovered his 46-best ever freeware list. Each category is regularly reviewed and updated. Gizmo has now converted the newsletter and his site into a wiki style site which is more accessible and is proving (so he says) very popular. Check it out... The Best-ever Freeware Utilities List | Gizmo's Tech Support Alert
  10. Geoff - I suppose you are talking about a programming language, in which case, I would say VB or similar. I could probably code something if I had to, but it seemed like it should be possible with something like RegEx.
  11. Rather than virtualizing the TS, why not virtualize the DC? In a small network with few machines, the DC would not be heavily loaded. Am I mad?
  12. Thanks for the replies. In the end it turned out that only a handful of changes were required. I had a folder with about 100 XML files (all similar), but some of which had certain values that needed changing. I used Agent Ransack (my preferred search tool) to find the files with the offending value and then edited manually. Low tech but quicker in this case! If there are any Regular Expressions experts out there, can you tell me if it is possible to do the following; 1 - Find a number in the following format; [0-9]*\.[0-9][0-9] 2 - Round the value to nearest .5 (eg 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 etc) 3 - Inset the value back into the text
  13. I need a utility that will replace all instances of certain text across a folder full of XML files (basically text). I could knock up a script in an hour or two but there must be a utility out there? I've managed to get Agent Ransack to isolate the files using regular expressions but sadly it won't do replacements.
  14. I googled for WUAUCLT 100% CPU and turned up a few possible fixes but have not had time to investigate yet. My laptop has been OK since the one terrible boot up.
  15. Bit like Exchange versions prior to 2003 then!
  16. For what it's worth, my home laptop has been fine for a couple of years until I put Office 2003 on it a few days ago. Now suddenly I'm hit with the WUAUCLT 100% bug. Very brief analysis of WindowsUpdate.log certainly reveals activity relating to Office components. Coincidence? Hmmmm.....
  17. Agree with Mark B. Best bet is to start with a blanket ban on everything and just allow what you need. On the basis that PCs are locked down, it is safe to allow execution from Windows and Program Files. If necessary add rules to allow execution from network locations.
  18. It looks to me as if the MSI request is now at the top of the list so I guess we shouldn't have to wait to much longer...
  19. I'm just looking through the MS notes on Domain Rename and I note that this doc (http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/4d0c3b6e-e6f5-4ab3-9d81-106ae3a715491033.mspx?mfr=true) states that 'DNS zones must exist for the new domainss'
  20. I think that what Mattx may be getting at is that, the general wisdom on domain renames is only do it if you really have to. I've seen numerous posts on sites like Experts Exchange where there has been a lot of 'experts' trying to talk others out of doing domain renames. Incidentally, and I'm sure you know this, but it's not possible to change the forest or domain tree membership of a domain simply by renaming it so that the DNS name looks right. Eg. If you start with two domains in different forests, domain1.int and domain2.int, although you can rename domain2.int to become somthing like subdomain.domain1.int, it won't be in the same tree or forest as domain1.int.
  21. Sign up here (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/heroeshappenhere/events/itprof.mspx) for the Technet roadshows featuring Windows 2008.
  22. Download ORCA here: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/Orca.zip
  23. Oh - forgot to mention how to rename drives sDriveLetter = "G:\" Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") oShell.NameSpace(sDriveLetter).Self.Name = "Group Work Area"
  24. No need to alter OU structure unless some/all your user accounts are in the 'Users' container. Assuming you set it up like I suggested then you would simply assign the policies it the highest level OU to ensure all potential users are covered. The security filtering would then ensure the scripts execute (and hence drives map) for only those groups that have access to apply the policy.
  25. That's basically what I meant. Logon scripts (apart from the old fashioned ones linked directly to user accounts) are assigned via Group Policy and hence the requirement to have a policy for each logon script/group combination.
×
×
  • Create New...