-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
Or you could just use Group Policy to remove the contents of the All Users Programs menu. To control the content of menus & desktops on PCs I have used the following technique; Firstly, use Group Policy to remove the All Users Programs menu Secondly, create a logon script which does the following each time a user logs on; 1 - Completely empties the users own Start Menu and Desktop 2 - Copy any required shortcuts from the Default User Start Menu to the users own Start Menu (this picks up stuff like Accessories) 3 - Copy any required shortcuts from the All Users Start Menu to the users own Start Menu (this picks ups locally installed applications) 4 - Optionally copy shortcuts from the All Users Desktop to the users own Desktop In essence, this is creating a custom start menu and desktop for each logon session. My logon script copied shortcuts based on regular expression matching so that the full shortcut name was note required. This method has the advantage of being able to cope with sets of PCs with different software installed as a shortcut will never appear on a start menu or desktop if the software is not installed on the PC
-
Surely for this to work you will have to give out the passwords for the adminequivalent local user accounts. Have you looked at this: Rohos Mini Drive
-
Assuming the domain in which you installed Exchange is the 'Forest Root Domain' then there should be no reason why you cannot 'DomainPrep' the other domain and start using Exchange. (NB - No need to create duplicate accounts in this case). If you are not sure what a 'Forest Root Domain' is, it's basically the first domain in the forest when a domain controller is installed and the 'new domain in a new forest' option is selected. When Exchange is installed, it is first necessary to prepare the forest (using ForestPrep) and then to prepare the domain (using DomainPrep). If you are installing Exchange in a single domain forest then these two steps might be transparent to the user.
-
Exchange DOES support multiple domains in the same forest. I have never installled 2007, but under 2003 it's necessary to run the DomainPrep function against every domain in which mailboxes are required. This updates the AD Schema to accept the Exchange attributes on user accounts, groups etc. This is easily done from the setup CD. It's then necessary to create a 'Recipient Update Policy' service on the main domain where Exchange is installed. This is to update settings on the other domain. Under 2003 this was done via the management console. It's crucial also that replication is working before setting all this up.
-
There is an American guy demoing these Multiplication Tables machines upstairs in the gallery on stand W63 and giving away demo units to those who stick around long enough. Looks great for teaching the little 'uns their basic maths. edit: according to this (http://www.bettshow.com/page.cfm/Action=Exhib/ExhibID=01254/pageOption=ExhibLibraries_2/t=m) there are 312 units to be given away so get their ASAP.
-
USB Memory Sticks with hidden virtual CD partitions (U3 Drives?)
ajbritton replied to flyinghaggis's topic in Hardware
Hmmm. Never heard of that. Not sure how a normal USB drive could be formatted to appear as a CD (except of course by the inclusion of AUTORUN.INF that points to a custom icon for the partition). Do you actually have one in your posession to test? I am very surprised to find that GP restrictions are not effective. Perhaps students are disconnecting PCs from LAN at critical moment during logon which can affect GP processing. Are you using a blacklist or whitelist approach for restrictions? In my experience, the whitelist approach is far more reliable. -
I'm coming down on Thursday and will drop in to say hi. What's on the stand this year?
-
.. which is exactly why nobody should use the Administrator account. Best to create special 'ADM...' accounts specific to users that require extra access. Once you do this, then auditing can be configured to catch config changes.
-
Have had problems using FileZilla for SFTP, but CoreFTP lite is OK. Also used LeechFTP on occasion and that also works well.
-
It's brilliant for doing bulk stuff in Exchange 2007. I've used it to extract lists based on particular criteria and also to make bulk changes. It takes me a while to get the syntax just right, but I guess that's always the case when getting used to a new language.
-
Multiple DHCP servers do not 'conflict' as such. Both servers will respond to the initial 'discover' broadcast request for IP address and client will choose whichever 'offer' it sees first. I've set up networks with multiple DHCP servers where the address ranges are split across multiple servers. Microsoft recommends this approach in certain circumstances either splitting range 80/20 or 50/50 depending on what is required (resilience or complex subnetting). In this instance though, my solution would only work if reservations were set up for ALL clients.
-
Some good info here (from Mark Minasi) on new features in 7: http://www.minasi.com/win7ppt.pdf
-
If the DHCP servers can be configured to only allocate addresses to known MAC addresses then reservations could be set up in each DHCP server.
-
Experts Exchange - The #1 resource on the web for solving technology problems. (as an expert !!!) Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
-
I will only say that I did not attend PDC...
-
Anyone else playing with Vista 2.0 - sorry I mean Win7 yet? I've run the 6801 build released at PDC on VMWare on my Centrino laptop and it's surprisingly sprightly! My one gripe is that despite using Rafael Riviera's unlock hack, I can't see the application previews on the new 'superbar'. I guess that's an 'aero' only thing.
-
Have to say that I find ads like the one being proposed to be really irritating. If I find a new site with a popup ad that forces itself on me I would tend not to go back to the site as it just reeks of commercialism. It's nice to have a presence at BeTT and I'm sure it is expensive, but is it really worth turning the site into a vehicle for advertising? Please don't get me wrong, I think being at BeTT is good but I would be interested to know what actual benefits are gained.
-
Totally agree. Although this could be accomplished fairly easily using AutoIt, it's just a bad idea. Does the HT imagine that the staff will sit around waiting for emails to arrive and respond instantly as if they had nothing better to do? The whole point of email is that it stacks up and you get to it when it is convenient for you, not the sender. Perhaps some kind of IM solution would be more appropriate if HT needs a way of getting info out to as many staff as possible.
-
Over the past couple of days I have spent too long updating an Intranet site with notices relating to network or system maintenance. I want to use an RSS feed that people can subscribe too if they are interested. Does anyone do this and if so what tools do they use. I will need to host these myself and I have no *nix servers so something running of IIS would be preferable.
-
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting EDIT: I hasten to add that I did not post this. This link is one I put on the EduGeek WIKI which I originally found here: http://www.gpanswers.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=4737
-
Googled for AdSystemInfo and Vista... ADSystemInfo causes logon script to hang in Vista
-
Could maybe use SteadyState....
-
If it's just bad sectors on one drive you could try Steve Gibson's SpinRite (Home of Gibson Research Corporation). I'm sure I've heard him mention that it works with RAID drives...
-
Great idea (I seem to remember suggesting EduGeek hats a couple of years ago...). I second Tom's point about somewhere to write your username. Did someone say free Pizza.... mmmmmmm...
-
I can understand your irritation at the extra domain appearing in the logon box, but TBH, if the kids want to hack the admin domain, it will be the security settings that stops them, not the fact that the domain is not immediately visible. Even without a trust, there is nothing to stop them making connections to the other domain by entering a UNC path (unless of course they are so locked down that they cannot move). Assuming you have strong, regularly changed passwords on the admin domain, then you have nothing to worry about. Group policy can enforce a decent password policy for you.
