Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. I'd get back to them and say that’s not good enough - if you are paying them a reasonable amount they should be providing the service you require. A well worded email from your Head teacher might just do the trick.
  2. SATA so I guess that makes sense
  3. Thats odd because my 10,000 WD VelociRaptor drive is only scoring 5.9 - my OCZ SSD gets 7.4 though
  4. Did you try disenabling any applications (msconfig if it autostarts or otherwise)? - if its one of those and it installs the same way again you might just end up with the same problem.
  5. Has any aditional software been installed recently? You might find that some system process is blocking the shutdown (we had this happen to us with a custom made application some time ago) - if so go to task manager and systematicly stop anything thats running (besides normal windows processess) and try shutting down your PC then.
  6. Hi all, Right now we have a number of instances of SQL Express (mainly 2008) running on various servers and I was wondering if we would see any benifits from consolidating all those instances onto a single server? Currently SQL runs our SharePoint server, Libary system, SCVMM and WSUS (maybe a few other little things). If there would be an advantage the SQL Server would be hosted on our Virtual Server with whatever RAM/Processor allocation required (that shouldn't be tooo much of a problem unless I need to go over 2-4GB RAM). Thanks!
  7. This should give you a rough idea about processor lics - naturaly its not for the education world but should give some idea as to how it all works. Windows Server 2008 R2: Virtualization Licensing Calculators
  8. We (or at least not from this thread) don't even that this is a single server site - looking at their website I'd be surprised if it were (even if it is a RM place).
  9. Either way if he runs a Fog server on the same Virtual Host the hard drives are going to be hammered just the same reguardless of the OS.
  10. Depends how your servers are setup - we have 3 DCs and a file server, the WDS server is on one of the DCs but they all share the same virtual host (4 10k HDDs in 0+1) and I can't say as we've ever had any issues with slower logins while imaging.
  11. Oh I worry every time I have another system that dosn't intergrate perfectly with Windows If you have an existing Windows Server (2003/2008) with enough space to store your images (most of our Windows 7 ones are 10Gb max) and a high enough speed network connection (100mb/s is enough for ~10 concurrent connections) then you are cooking on gas. It dosn't matter if its on a DC or not and I've never seen a reason to have it on a dedicated server.
  12. That dosn't sound right to me I'd have a look at the Microsoft article first before dismissing it- Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2003 One thing that I would watch out for - don't have WSUS and WDS on the same server - it can mess some things up every now and again
  13. How many servers are you running at the moment? Also you want to look at what you are accualy going to get out of going Virtual - if you only have a few servers the cost savings might not be enough.
  14. I was under the impression that Microsoft Virtual Licences for Server only applied if you were running Hyper-V? Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition Overview - just under where it says Large-Scale Virtualization and if true I'd of thought it applies to lower versions too.
  15. WDS works a treat - easy to setup and configure, just sysprep your PC boot into WDS capture and then deploy out. There will be tones of guides out there as to how to setup/use and best of all its built into Windows Server (no Linux servers to worry about).
  16. Citrix HDX does that by rendering it on the client and RemoteFX from Microsoft is looking pretty good - both are paied for solutions though and I don't know of any software that will do it for free.
  17. This is my mug Got it some time ago when the I'm a PC adds were going at full pelt. TRAVEL MUG | Zazzle.co.uk
  18. *Bump* any takers? I might be able to throw in a 500Gb hard drive with one of them.
  19. YouTube - Windows 98 Crash
  20. Certinly was impressed by the webinar here - (but then again I'm a WM die hard), didn't see any phone there that I liked the look of for my needs (i.e side slider like the HTC Touch Pro) but with any luck someone will kick out someone will kick out something decent soon.
  21. Used to play water polo but not anymore (thats a long time in the past) - let the old physical side of life slide after my first stab at joining the RAF but now getting back into the world of sports.
  22. Did quite a bit of a work out - swimming and jogging mainly
  23. Live webcast can be seen here- Windows Phone Newsroom: Live Press Conference
  24. So what do we all think of the Windows Phone 7 launch today? Last I knew it was happening at around 2:30 in London so will be watching that. I've been a long lasting fan of WM but (as I'm sure many people will know) its lost pace in recent years so I'm hoping that WP7 is going to be the boost it needs
  25. x64 yes but Hardware Virtulisation is a no no (reason why were selling them)
×
×
  • Create New...