Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. Do I mention a better backup/restore strategy for the future?
  2. Arn't I nice (and ever so slightly foolish)
  3. Gotta wonder how the guy before me did with it But its no real problem to me - at least I know I'm using something that will work well reguardless
  4. Seriously seriously - when I started the best we had was a Intel Atom PC so by the end of week 1 I brought in my testing PC from home
  5. I don't usaly have a need to charge my phone at work but then again there shouldn't be a problem considering I'm using a PC that I paied for and built myself
  6. Even with SAS disks would it not be better to go with more lower capacity drives so you can be read/writing to multiple drives at the same time - something thats always been very important for me with VMs.
  7. Might be a BIOS update to fix that - check your model number on the HP support site and see if there is anything going.
  8. HP DL165 G7 might be your thing - runs Hyper-V server well on the standard RAID controler (no go with XenServer though). 12GB of RAM and 8 core processor and fill up the hard drive bays with some 10k drives if possible. It has 4 NIC points as well which is a big bonus for VMs.
  9. Rack or Tower server?
  10. Hi Tim, Sorry that was just a copy and paste link so don't have any more info. Thanks, James
  11. I've never had any problems with Athlon Neo for VMs (more than can be said with Intel Atom); all the same I don't think HP had VM in mind when they put this together.
  12. I think this is what you need- Enable or disable network discovery Mark Minasi's Reader Forum - Enable Network Discovery in Vista
  13. Aparently RM took them over some time ago so who knows how their support team is going now. I'd contact your account manager if you don't get anything back soon.
  14. ~40mins for me - around 18miles but long streches of 30 that should be 50/60.
  15. I'd seriously consider a managed Wireless System for that kind of volume - expecily if Wi-Fi is going to start to become highly used in your school. Here we use the AeroHive system - just google them and their at the top.
  16. Best of luck!
  17. Is that for some security purpose or could you add your lists to your global address list in exchange management?
  18. If they were mirrored then you could attach one of the disks to your PC and use Citrix Xen Convert to make it into a VHD file - you could then copy that VHD (one for safe keeping) and try and boot the OS in something like Virtual Box.
  19. Should just need to type the name of the list into the to box and press the check names box (usaly a red guy with a blue tick through).
  20. We still have another DC which isn't virtulised (just in case) but have two that are running inside VMs now. Our server is a HP DL165 G7 with a 8 core processor, 12GB of RAM and 4 hard drives in RAID0+1. Its running Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition with Hyper-V (could use just plain old Hyper-V server if you don't have the licences). System Centre Virtual Machine manager was very very useful in converting the DCs, it just boots them into Windows PE and copies the data over (offline migration).
  21. Nothing new there then We used System Centre Virtual Machine Manager to do an offline conversion of our Server 2008 DCs into Virtual Machines just a few weeks ago onto Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition (with Hyper-V) and it went off without a glitch. I can't speak for Server 2003 but the network adapters migrated over fine as did every other setting we could find.
  22. RM would charge a tone to do the migration from the existing server to a new one (of theirs) if you are looking to go Vanillia I'd say check into some of the Virtual Machine options - maybe get a new server with plenty of RAM and run Hyper-V (or something simlar) on it?
  23. Thought I'd share this wallpaper and its original PSD file in case anyone thought they could make use of them. You can change the colour of the background using the hue tool in Photoshop and change the name of the text to match your own servers. vhost-01-psd.zip withouthyperv.zip
  24. Just been reading through the good old Microsoft Education Blog and there seems to be quite a hullabaloo about schools still running IE6 web applications and methods that they can use to upgrade to IE8 and still run these older applications. As such what I was wondering are they actually any schools out there that are having this problem? Personally our only real internal web apps are our security cameras viewer, a SharePoint site and a WordPress based internal home page so IE8 was no problem at all.
  25. Same thinking here - it’s a good idea to have disaster recovery but if your offsite backups are image/bare metal based anyway you shouldn't have a reason to use any VMs at all. If speed is a serious issue then you might want to look at any optimisations for your existing backup technology - on that note which Server OS are you running and what is your current application that you use to back up?
×
×
  • Create New...