-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Citrix VDI in a box demo day
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I think hands on demos of a production enviroment are going to be the key of it all - and I don't think I could up root a DL385 for a few days It is an idea though -
Citrix VDI in a box demo day
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Lunch and App-V included as well -
new and emerging technologies we should be looking at
jamesfed replied to imiddleton25's topic in General Chat
Starting to be in the same position as you - getting Lync 2010 out there is chewing through some time though VPNs FTW though! Has been the best deployment ever for our staff. -
Hi all, There has been a lot of talk on here about Citrix VDI in a box (formally Kaviza) in the past few weeks and using my experience of it I have tried to help anyone with any questions they have. In the past we have however run a ‘demo day’ here in Abingdon (Oxfordshire) for a small number of schools and I was wondering if people would be interested in me getting hold of a few of our contacts and arranging another one? We are hoping to expand our VDI grid in the next few weeks using a second server which will be using SSDs instead of HDDs however until I get it working I wouldn’t want to hold any presentation. That pretty much rules out doing anything this holiday but how would people feel about us holding it during term time or waiting to the June Holiday? (4th – 8th June). As far as I can tell the best way to go would be- Live Demos (as many as possible) Get a thin client vendor on site (should be able to do) Get a Citrix guy on site (should be able to do) Get a VAR on site (might be able to do) Maybe a little VDI licencing workshop (would need someone who knows someone to make this happen) We could probably accommodate up to 20 people in our meeting room for presentations and I think a program from 10am – 3pm should work well. So what do we all think?
-
Our understanding from our EES guys is that the cals that come with EES cover VDI setups (and we use VDI in a box here as well) so there shouldn't be any problems there. Can't say about SCCM though. We have used Softcat in the past for EES and I can suggest BIST, and Unique Network Solutions, HRC3 for VDI in a box.
-
I belive AMD is already on the way to thinking about ARM - AMD Eyes ARM Alliance in War on Intel | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com
-
About what we have seen as well for one years support - I would go all out and go for 3 years support right from the word go - that way you save a little in the long run and also your software upgrades last as long as the thin clients warranty (if you use 10zigs) and the server warranty.
-
Loving my Windows Phone - haven't come across anything it dosn't have that I accualy need/want yet I like it over the iPhone because I'm not an apple bod but most of all I can choose the form factor. I like it over Android because I get timely updates as and when they are released (Microsoft has all the OEMs/Carriers locked in so that they MUST deliver the updates unlike Android). It is very very very stable as well, the thing I like most of all is that with my 1 core 1ghz processor the phone runs faster than our SMTs Galaxy S2 with its dual core fancyness.
-
I do also hope to hold a open day here at some stage (mainly for Oxfordshire Schools but happy for others to attend) where we would be looking at showing off various things (Site Wide Wi-Fi, Remote Access, Server/Desktop/Application Virtulisation - mainly around how the SSDs are going and other things). If it happens it'll be sometime in late April/May.
-
If you use a Linux thin client you can be looking at £180/seat We have a price of £100 over 3 years with Citrix HDX for the VDI-in-a-box lics Server is based upon your requirements...we are going to be using SSDs in our next expansion project and I will be posting up details about it when it all happens (within 1 month I belive).
-
+1 for that - same as we have been told as well.
-
Download: iSCSI Software Target - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
-
Microsoft has released the iSCSI target software for just normal Windows Server - if thats all you need then there is no need for full blown Windows Storage Server anymore.
-
May be a little way away for you but we have a setup in Abingdon, Oxfordshire that we would be happy to demo - PM if you want more details.
-
I would check - we had to wait a few days when I asked the Kaviza guys (now Citrix VDI in a box) if I could get a SVG copy of their logo for use in some powerpoint slides I was putting together. A few of these companys do (like said before with EduGeek) also make their own stuff every now and again (I have a Microsoft Polo top) and wouldn't be best pleased if you were to take away (even a small amount) of their potential revenue.
-
What is your server - if its a HP or a Dell you could possibly use a SAS expansion box to just add more disks.
-
+1 for a Zotac Zbox - Mini ITX form factor - get the version with the AMD E-350 processor and put in your choice of HDD/SSD, RAM and Windows OEM sticker - can build them for less than £300 if you have a 2.5" HDD lying around.
-
lol how many threads are you going to start today? With Citrix VDI-in-a-box the usal idea is that the server is dedicated to running the VMs - however you could start up a RDS server as a seprate virtual machine on the same physical hardware if you wanted.
-
All is takes is for one staff member to email one parent/student once for their email address to be 'exposed' and at that point the entire idea of keeping email addresses hidden is null and void. It is a matter of correct discipline and making sure parents know the proper channels to go through to get information and also that staff know they can reply with a 'please email xyz its not my issue'.
-
Broadband Provider - How Much?!?!
jamesfed replied to RobFrain's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Wow that is a nice price - we are paying £10k/yr for our 100mb line Stick with it - the price is good!! -
ICT consultant- Slough, Madenhead. 20k-27k
jamesfed replied to jhazell's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Would be nice but RM stuff is mentioned in there.... -
Dont' quite know what you mean but I think you are asking is can you run the Hyper-V role with other server roles on the same OS - the short answer is yes however the serious answer is no Hyper-V should not be used with any Windows Server roles.
-
Hyper-V can do praticly anything VMWare can do. You can run it in 'Server Core' mode where you use remote management tools to look after it or if you enable it as a role in a standard install then you can use it with local management tools. Either way Hyper-V is a bare metal hypervisor just depends on how you are happy looking after it.
-
Server for server 2008 RD setup
jamesfed replied to mirojr's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
What is it that you want to do with these thin clients? We have a Citrix VDI-in-a-box setup here as well and would be more than happy to run you through it.
