Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. My personal blog gets about 30 spam hits a day - to be honest its nothing uncommon.
  2. I use a SSD in my work PC and one of the 500GB XTs in my home PC (extra space for games) and I must say that the Hybrid does do very well indeed - much faster than a normal HDD (although it takes some time for it to figure out what to cache) although a SSD does still have it beat hands down.
  3. I do need to get more sleep.....
  4. Fire up another IIS site - set it to HTTP only and have a single page that has a HTML redirect script in Make sure your IIS site for HAP+ only has HTTPS bound against it as well.
  5. +1 for this suggestion - just a Windows PE install and very very easy to run.
  6. I've accualy been thinking about this and where I will stand when I get my Windows 8 Tablet (well when it comes out at least!) have been thinking a nice charging dock (like the one for the Acer W500) and keyboard would work quite nicely as a compleate replacement to my notebook PC (so long as Windows RT has RDP I'm good!). That way I can take it out of the dock if I'm going to 'grab and go' while keeping the keyboard ready to use it as a full on notebook as and when needed.
  7. @Axel - do you guys have the native Java client on the thin clients now?
  8. It'll never last - Microsoft will get the ban overturned in no time (expecily when the German courts go to buy new PCs!)
  9. Programs I couldn't get to work- Aegies3 Application does launch in Windows 7 Dreamweaver MX 2004 Requires UAC elevation to run Fittingly Sew Application is 16bit Flash MX 2004 Does not capture lic key GameMaker 7 Requires DEP to be turned off - some weird DRM error appears Its your Choice Application not compatible with App-V - requires secure DLL files Pinpoint Application is 16bit PTC ProDESKTOP Didn’t work on first try - application launches then immediately closes Speed Step Application requires legacy dongle to run Text Thing Application is not stable enough to use The Charters Software - New Careers Packge Application requires absolute paths to run
  10. PhotoShop and Lightroom are possible however it is one big headache to get it to work, there are a few guides out there as to how to get it sequenced (just wish Adobe would release a package accelrator or two for it). The only problems I have had otherwise have been with applications that require absolute paths (aka very old ones) and also the Macromedia Flash MX2004 program (it just dosn't keep the licence key). Any other issues have been down to Windows 7 (ie 16bit programs or ones that just don't work right) but other than that everything should work in App-V.
  11. MDT is kind of like WDS but with more features that helps to automate the whole process - you will spend a fair bit of time working it out and getting things setup right but when it comes to imaging a room of 30 PCs you will save looooads of time (if you use MDT).
  12. What is your Hard Drive config like as well - any RAID cache?
  13. Could we get a bit of an idea as to your current server spec as well?
  14. Yeah I don't think VDI is going to be the solution for you - its great for IT classroom PCs but things like Music Editing as best kept to the local machine.
  15. You would want to go with Windows Embedded devices (over Linux) as the full HDX stack is only on Windows devices - I would suggest the 10zig guys (just go to their site and sign up for a trial device). Honistly though I wouldn't expect great results from any Thin Client when it comes to extreemly latency sensitive things like working with IWBs/Music Production but hey can always give it a go!
  16. No clue about that in our case
  17. To true but hey maybe it will help others. All done via streaming server to our clients - we do however for our interns use the local install feature (helps gets the programs on faster).
  18. You would be amazed how many pub game machines/other kiosks are still running off of 2000 - but then again I read once that some air plane inflight entertainment systems run off Windows 98......
  19. Very true! I just hope that v5 will be easier to get out there but I just couldn't come up with a better way other than including it in the image for v4.6 SP1.
  20. Nice - so long as it dosn't bring down flash qulity!
  21. Its included in with our base image - one of the few things that is.
  22. Custom designed PCs are the way to go for any SSDs (Novatech/Stone/ect) leave the big names HP/Dell out of it because you are right on that front they will make you pay. On the capacity world though I don't know about you but do you ever use up that 250GB of space? If you mix in a techonlogy like App-V a Windows 7 image and all your software can fit in just 26GB! making even a 60GB SSD appear quite large.
  23. Look into the AMD A4 A6 chips - cheaper than most i3/i5 out there and just as fast. Regardless of anything though go with SSDs - no point in backing the loosing side of HDD. I would also plan on going 64bit asap, Microsoft isn't going to kick out client OSes in 32bit forever (even though Windows 8 is) so might as well take the headache now instead of when Windows 9 comes out.
  24. MDT and App-V demo video is online now - Using MDT and App-V to get PCs to users fast! | my world of IT There is a short intro about the whole process but if you skip ahead to about 4:15 the hands on demo is there.
  25. Just a little poll to keep the mind going. With Windows Server 8 not that far away what do we all consider to be our main 'Windows Server OS' - by main I mean the one most of your services run off.
×
×
  • Create New...