Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. I use WinDirStat - WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics Free and works good
  2. We've got 15m to a hall projector - signal qulity is perfect compared to the poor unboosted VGA lead that runs with it.
  3. Quite happy with the current version we have as far as I can tell we won't have any serious money for at least another year for 'non essential' software updates anyways.
  4. Other than Ranger Remote and Print Management (which work reguardless) we are ditching Ranger with our Windows 7 deployment. Both work perfectly fine on Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 though
  5. Bully tatics or the way the world of IP works At least Microsoft doesn’t go around suing everyone like Apple has been.
  6. One thing others have pointed out is Microsoft won't need to pay its self any licencing fees - yes Android is 'free' however there are still some fees to be paied.
  7. I don't know if you have ever used a Windows Phone 7 however with just a 1.0 Ghz CPU it flys faster than anything I have ever seen. If Microsoft is using the same software to run applications (which it looks like they are to some degree) in the Windows RT Surface then it will do just the same I do think it is a case of we have gone from bloted software on poor hardware (Windows Vista) to well tuned, lightweight software (Windows Phone/Windows RT/8) on hardware that dosn't look all to impressive but runs great.
  8. Goes to show Microsoft arn't going to let any OEM muck up Windows 8 IMO - I WANT
  9. It might be too far for you but always happy to entertain people in Abingdon (Oxfordshire). We held a demo day at my place not so long ago and I've got quite a few posts on my blog about schools/VDI here - VDI | my world of IT
  10. I'm thinking of not asking for any personaly identifiable data at all so no names/email addys/numbers/company names
  11. For some time now I’ve been running my personal website (myworldofit.net) and another one before it however I was thinking it would be a nice idea to create a new website that would allow users to ‘showcase their servers’. By showcase I mean- +List of hardware specifications +Approximate cost/year of purchase (I understand not everyone would want to fill this out) +Photos/YouTube videos +Describe what the server does (SQL/Virtual Host/VDI/Exchange) I’ve already registered the domain name showcaseyourserver.net and am now looking to move the project forwards. The master plan is for the entire website to be based around user generated content, I’ve been looking into hosting this on WordPress (as I always do) using the Gravity Forms plugin which allows people to complete a form and then for it to appear on the site (so less work for me!). So what are the views of the Edugeeks out there and would anyone be interested in showcasing their servers?
  12. Maybe look at something like Microsoft Kodu - Kodu - Microsoft Research
  13. Anything more meaningful in event logs? Also are your static IP settings looking good on your DPM server?
  14. and here I am with my QNAP TS-212 and 2TB (after RAID1) storage although that is excluding the HP DL385 G1 that I have sitting in the rack at work....
  15. Going Server 2012 on our Hyper-V server as soon as it comes out - are intending on migrating whole network over to 2012 in the summer of next year.
  16. Just don't enable the students accounts in the Lync console
  17. Nice to see my spirit of information sharing is working Guess I'm going to have to start upping the post count on my website to stay on top of things (although I do have some nice photos of some Lync phones going up soon).
  18. Life is so - we are hoping to run another one next year or if I feel like it and can get enough interest do something (mainly for Oxfordshire Schools but with others invited to drag up numbers) that shows off a wider variety of tech in the summer (so VDI, Lync 2010, VPN, how our SSDs are going ect).
  19. Never a problem Ryan, it was a good day for all
  20. Videos and Presentations are up on my website now - VDI Demo Day – After action report | my world of IT
  21. Just like to say thanks to all that attended! We had 16 schools and 20 people attend and it looks like my estimates for the right amount of food was spot on (although could've done with a few juice drinks but hey!). The PowerPoints and videos from my bits will be online around 9am tomorrow morning (at least unless my backup server parts arrive before then!)
  22. I don’t always agree with you @CyberNerd but….. +1 for canning RM!
  23. and so in the future your suppliers will be so fed up with you that they give you rubbish prices? So the first time round you get a fantastic super price but then the second time everyone is so peeved off with you that no one gives a decent price (and so loose out in the long run). Orr....you go with average reasonable prices every time and so win out in the long run.
  24. Lets remember there our suppliers are people with bosses at the other end Yes maybe a little nudge but I find playing them off like that to be a very unfair pratice.
  25. Some propper stats now - Virtual Desktops on PCI-E SSD – Getting the image ready | my world of IT Queue lengths and time to create desktops is very very nice!
×
×
  • Create New...