pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
If it is of any interest : my group creation script can be found Here (last post not the first).
- 7 replies
-
- active directory
- group
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think the problem with this is how the information propagates from AD to client devices. AD will likely have an internal GUID associated with the object that is the primary key, so every time you have any membership change, you will be redistributing all the info as if it is fresh. Other associations made later might also tie in to an underlying object GUID rather than the group name. So personally I favour the heavier multi-pass processing necessary to neatly update memberships, rather than just delete everything and build it as it should be now.
- 7 replies
-
- active directory
- group
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
We have logins for sharepoint, a Governors@ mailbox which goes to the chair.
-
It is likely that the students are logging into a chrome book and other elements of GAE, so while adverts aren't being served within certain aspects of GAE, data gathered within GAE can be used to target ads when the user is outside of GAE. Given that in the UK we operate with Google as a data processor for the school and GAE is effectively part of our data processing, schools DP registrations are unlikely to cover this and, given that Google are not transparent about how they are processing the data, our registrations cannot possibly cover it.
-
I like my Ikea Markus. Mine is a few years old now and wearing well.
-
That seems either a statement of ultimate scepticism (nothing can truly be knowable) or a rather caviller dismissal of evidence from many studies which have investigated the issue. The issue is just cause and effect. There is no doubt that people are suffering, the question is, what is the cause? If we construct robust, properly controlled experiments, fail to find a causal link and our data has high p-values (very low probabilities that the result can be arrived at by chance), then surely we must draw conclusions from that or risk being accused of not making decisions based on actual evidence? I'd also point out that "in the mind" and "true illness" are not mutually exclusive - which seems to be loosely implied by your sentence. Probably. So what would the advice be if a student or member of staff complains?
-
What makes you think studies are limited to the NHS or even decades out of date? Seems that time after time, robust double blind trials fail to uncover a correlation while experiments on sensitivity seem to show that symptoms are reported when only a "sham signal" is involved. You must have done some very robust studies to claim as you do, against a large number of very carefully controlled studies, that the effect is real. Or are you really saying your anecdotal experience is a better measure than these many studies?
-
As an adjunct to the IT Strategy document thread, I thought (since I'm having to write one) it would be useful to get a sense of what Edugeek thinks will be the technological (or even pedagogical) threats and opportunities, what will be the drivers over the next 3-5 years. This is not @GrumbleDook's suggested small group, nor an attempt to get a full strategy document (which to a large part has to depend on the individual school, since it is a journey that needs to start from where you currently are), but just a list (elaborated) of things that will affect what we do and how we do it. So, to begin, pulling directly from my document, two items : An ongoing trend in IT is toward more use of and reliance on services available online. Suppliers are increasingly hosting services and delivering only the customer facing element to customers. There are pros and cons to this but increasingly suppliers are taking the choice away from us and supplying only web based services. We need to accommodate both growth in internet traffic and provision a suitable level of redundancy to secure uninterrupted access to those services. There is a clear desire from users to access services from mobile devices round the school and for students to be able to access services from whatever device they may have. We would need to make a significant investment in our site wide wireless system to accommodate large numbers of additional devices and support a high density of devices in all areas. Please do post your thoughts on items, explaining what the driver is and what the response to it might/should be.
-
Is VATS actually useful? I use it and I die!
-
We use Xibo with cheap android dongles to run the client software. There is a client licence needed for the app which brings the price of each unit (sans TV) to (ISTR) ~£80.
-
It is interesting to try to think of actual applications which would need both the computing grunt the PiZero offers and which want a battery supply which will last a long time. Just to put the power requirement into context, we would require a battery of 10,000+ mAH capacity to get a few weeks at idle. A minimal Arduino circuit could be configured to draw 1uA when 'idle' - that's less electrical power than you generate rubbing your fingers together. I can power that with a CR2032 coin cell battery for a few pence and depending on the application, it could go for years.
-
I mostly just traded at first and took a few missions - just the steady grind getting bigger and better ships. Once I had a cobra, I moved to long trading runs of rares. There may be better options now - there has been quite a bit of rebalancing.
-
I'm writing ours as we speak. Must be something in the air...
-
Headphone Reviews. I've had good experience with AKG and Sennheiser. In that price range and for listening on the move, I'd personally opt for in ear units.
-
I would say no. The problem comes if something goes wrong. The question would be did the school exercise it's duty of care in providing the equipment. If you are making up electrical kit and you have no certifications, then it would be difficult to say they had. Any claim against your public liability insurance may also be problematic. So just to save less than £40, no!
-
Insurance Black Box - Users, thoughts, Opinions, savings
pcstru replied to Davit2005's topic in General Chat
If that happened, then I very much doubt a camera will help you since it seems very obvious that you were driving too close to the vehicle in front. I'll leave it at that because this subject tends to escalate quickly. -
Insurance Black Box - Users, thoughts, Opinions, savings
pcstru replied to Davit2005's topic in General Chat
It was poorly expressed then - the situation he described seemed to be one of driving too close. Yes, there are a few situations where an accident can occur that is not preventable. However, the majority of accidents are preventable - they aren't down to single mistakes but cascades of minor errors and inattentions. It's possible for drivers to avoid other peoples mistakes if they have good road craft. If that wasn't true, I wouldn't get on a motorbike (not that I think I'm infallible, but I do think that how _I_ ride is the biggest single factor in avoiding involvement in someone else's accident). -
Insurance Black Box - Users, thoughts, Opinions, savings
pcstru replied to Davit2005's topic in General Chat
Nothing ... apart from leaving enough distance to stop in time? -
20 hours in and all I have to show is that I now definitely do know (cos I found out), that Grandma plays the numbers.
-
Exactly right. For many applications, Arduino offers much better power consumption/management - so for a battery powered data logger that will spend a month stuck up a tree taking temperature measurements every 30 seconds, an arduino based rig won't have you climbing the tree every few days to change the battery (just as an example). Also, £4 is cheap but for embedded applications that is still expensive compared to single chip MCU's like Microchips PIC 12F series which can be had for less than a quid. None of which is meant to imply that Pi Zero is not an amazing bit of kit for the money.
-
Properly it's CEMF (Counter Electro Magnetic Force) although Back EMF is commonly used term. It happens in motors when the motor is slowing and effectively becomes a generator but that is actually a slightly different thing. A transformer or any other inductor generates a magnetic field which, when power is cut collapses and returns current into the circuit. It's not generally a problem but with 30 transformers all being unplugged at once, it's effects can be shocking! Ours are quite old but yes, I will check.
-
Probably. Depends on the application. I was thinking more of a robot (say a quad) where you occasionally need to plug in a mouse/keboard etc but mostly you want the on-board data usb to just host the wireless (or data logging etc). The weight saving there might make sense over the B+.
-
If you need more than one USB, you can always use a hub. I see this as competing with Arduino 2560 - with plenty of pros AND cons to separate the two.
-
Having phoned a repairer for a quote (£75 if it was the brushes) and another to see if they had brushes in stock, I booked the afternoon off, and went for the brushes. £30 rather than £3 - that's a "genuine Bosch" premium which seems a bit excessive over the £3 generic items. Post price shock (I'm Scottish, it hurts), I got my hands black with carbon dust and availed myself of the DIY dictionary of choice sweary words and spent a couple of hours figuring out how to get the motor out and new brushes in (ultra fiddly - there must be some clever tool for that). The old brushes still had 5mm or so on them, so I wasn't very hopeful. Put it all back together chucked the load it failed to do last night back in and ... it seems to be working! Perhaps I might get another 14 years out of it yet. Thanks to all for your contributions.
-
Probably! There's a small leak I need to investigate too (having it in the outhouse has made me lazy to look at that). I'm a little worried that with a 14 year old machine it will go again at a really inconvenient time - playing outdoor tennis 3 or 4 times a week through the winter tends to mean lots of layers and lot's of washing. I don't have enough spare kit to go more than a week without doing a wash so an unsuccessful repair eats into that time.
