-
Posts
2,107 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by round2it
-
[free] 15 x HP Procurve MSM410 WAPs with backplates
round2it replied to DJ-1701's topic in Classified Adverts
Im interested. If they are availabe we have netgear wg302s at the moment unmanaged. -
Eclipse Library System moved to hosted and now very slow
round2it replied to lmgtfy's topic in Educational Software
If the company does not sort out the issues soon (stop badgering me to go hosted its getting really annoying) then they are going to struggle to stay afloat all it takes is one good open source product and we will all jump ship. The self hosted people have got the short end of the stick ( who came up with that business model ) so your not getting my schools money anymore for a product that is not going to be updated. Just going to snapshot the VM and take a DB backup each DAY no support required. -
nows the time to ask the trust it guys to come in and setup the system they want, whats the point in you messing around for them to come and wipe it all?
-
Eclipse Library System moved to hosted and now very slow
round2it replied to lmgtfy's topic in Educational Software
2 pence worth. Onsite system moved up to silverlight and the speed is rubbish. Wish i never upgraded. Given vm shed loads or ram and cores makes no difference. It has always been a poor piece of software. And i think i am going to ditch it and save money on the support costs only good thing is the free labels for books. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up. Feel for the guys in support. -
Exa Networks - Anyone use them?
round2it replied to chrisjako's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
i have emailed you the survey answers -
I remember downloading them on my c64 onto my 1541 disc drive They were good times
-
Exa Networks - Anyone use them?
round2it replied to chrisjako's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I would be happy to fill in your survey I have just moved over to exa 3 weeks ago. but this is what I have found. 1. Equipment delivered well in advance of start day 2. you can keep all your internal IP range etc (do your homework on external ips required we have plenty available for web servers vle email etc) 3. You fit the equipment yourself (very easy to do) 4. Speed of connection is great 5. Surf protect fusion, is very strict in a good way one click protect filtering its really easy to separate filtering levels for staff students etc you can report on any user or ip address I have not looked at this in anger yet but it defiantly works 6. Support is first class no first line script monkeys you get to talk to someone who actually knows the product/service 7. Email filtering, since moving over the spam filter has blocked a number of emails that are from genuine senders but you do have control over what gets through easy to whitelist domains if you are having issues. get a list of your usual domains that staff email and whitelist them before going live (This may be helpful if exa ask this question during the configuration stages) 8. Happy staff all the youtube they can eat without slowdown. As for myself a learning network manager I managed to get everything moved over with very little fuss. one thing I would have done is get a list of websites the staff use and ensure they are whitelisted before going live it will save you time fire fighting and network tracing. ensure you list all your domain controllers for the ad integration this caught me out as I do have a third DC exa only asked for primary and secondary may be my interpretation. pm me your survey if you need it completing if you have an issue with a website just give the guys a ring and they do a live trace on the ip address you are using they can identify what is being blocked and for what reason. Overall I would recommend exa to any school and to be honest it is the best thing we have done as a school. no more lag and random dropouts for years I thought our network may be at fault but since moving the connection has been rock solid. -
Blank here android using chrome.
-
HTTPS interception issues using Google Chrome 57
round2it replied to DJ-1701's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
added a dns entry portal.domain.sch.uk and pointed that to the firewall, then they made some changes on the firewall. seems to fix it on my machine but need to check other devices. thanks to mark for getting someone on the job -
HTTPS interception issues using Google Chrome 57
round2it replied to DJ-1701's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I came across this today -
Exa Networks - Anyone use them?
round2it replied to chrisjako's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Just make sure you know all your server ips ang get them white listed on the firewall this caught me out. And dont forget to ask for the captive portal to be turned on for byod devices and ensure the right certificate is added otherwise you get a cert warning. -
I want to create a internal content management system What do you use? Sharepoint Moodle Drupal Wordpress Have i missed anything obvious.
-
Exa Networks - Anyone use them?
round2it replied to chrisjako's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Ok had our connection fitted and moved over from lea provided broadband connection it is so much faster for us the lag and delay has gone. For ages i thought is was our network . The support is first class, every problem i had was rectified and they explained why it happend. Just go ahead and do it the best thing we have done. Surf protect fusion is working well albeit a little strict but unblocking sites is easy and key word search filters can be changed in seconds. Only thing i had a problem with is that on emails from exa the signature they have a freephone number that does not seem to work and a few pages on the website dont work. But as long as my connection is working i dont care. Now thats nitpicking -
Yes thats my thinking
-
I have 2 dns servers here and need to ask a question regarding forwarders my primary dns server has the forwarders set to the ISP dns servers do I set my secondary dns to forward to the Primary dns server or should it go out to the isp dns servers seems a little silly to have the secondary pointing to the primary it is just another hop. can someone clarify please Thanks
-
just wondering if our firewall could redirect to the internal IP
-
trouble is we have a transparent proxy now
-
Hi I have a small issue with dns (presumption) we have 2 servers that are available from outside the domain the dns records are set at the ISP this works perfectly. if I use the same web address from within the school I am displayed with a this page can not be displayed. if I user the servername instead of the external web address then I can access the webpage without issue. My question is can I set a internal dns record to reroute any requests for Yahoo! to the internal Ip address. am I missing something here as we have just moved to a new ISP and don't require proxy server settings now and I always had the webservers in the proxy bypass settings. I hope you can unpick what my issue is.
-
I would love to rebuild our network from the bottom up and document everything but being a lone tech its just not going to happen.
-
as i am a wuss I will wait until the easter holidays to investigate this as I really don't want any downtime a week before we close for easter. We have a broadband provider switchover at the end of the week so that is going to be my priority
-
its the nameservers that I am worried about two of them show as unknown this is remnants of a previous support company my question is if I delete them do you think it will have an adverse effect on the network
-
when I do a Nslookup on my DC I get the static ip address and also 2 dhcp ip addresses. im sure this should not be correct if I delete the two dhcp addresses from dhcp will this effect my network? I cant see why it should but something is not right I know the company that installed the server had it on dhcp while they transferred data could this be the problem. also in dns I have 2 entrys for our old servers as nameservers if I delete these do you think it may effect anything else.
-
if its a dell ensure they are exactly the same cpu numbers as if not you get the unsupported cpu combo error upon post.
-
I have seen that one and the codes do not match so I did not want to risk buying it. Im sure Dave can drag a couple out of a skip its for a dell poweredge 2970, I was going to look at faster processors also time to google the motherboard specs I suppose
-
I have seen that one and the codes do not match so I did not want to risk buying it. Im sure Dave can drag a couple out of a skip its for a dell poweredge 2970, I was going to look at faster processors also time to google the motherboard specs I suppose
