Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Midget

Members
  • Posts

    1,313
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Midget

  1. Can I recommend TrueCrypt?
  2. I have an XBox with Xbox Media Center, which you can now run on a PC (they even have a live CD) and it's great look into it XBMC Media Center
  3. Can I also suggest having it hidden from guests? atm everyone can see it is there, so the spys have a reason to sign up and look in that forum. Whereas if they didn't even know it was there it would give people who post inflammatory statements a fighting chance of it not being seen before they re-read their post and remove any identifying information. and going totally OT. When did witch move to Wales?.... and become a mod? I obviously haven't been paying full attention.
  4. Have any of you used WebEx? is it actually any good?
  5. Gibbo> that's very true..... and why I'm here. Also if it wasn't for EduGeek I'd have never found CPLtd and would still be shouting at eBuyer, Dabs and an unnamed annoying company
  6. FISH FINGER SANDWICHES! Sweet Zombie Jesus Mauled by Jesus or the very british "Oh MY!" or "Golly!"
  7. Great Beard of Odin
  8. wild bannings for all!
  9. reverse of FFS? SFF?
  10. encapsulate everything in SSL! [/stereotypical *nix geek response]
  11. *dangles cage key in a sad fashion*
  12. Midget

    1st up

    guten tag. ... wait.. that's wrong.
  13. Am I eligible for this too?
  14. sorry, obviously missread. With using 750 HDDs, you can then chuck them into a NAS and have a 5TB SATA RAID5 array if you want to change over to that. Just ask yourself this question, what happens if the school burns down? At least with HDDs you can take them home each day but I wouldn't bother with tapes at all.
  15. I wasn't saying to use tape, but HDDs which are cheap and easy to check for problems and last longer than tapes.. I'm just coming up with cheap solutions for him to implement because something is better than nothing. Off site backup is always a good idea, but unless you want to host it yourself (not reccomended due to legal reasons) you will be looking at a very big bill.
  16. cheaper than tape, and fine as long as you don't drop them, that bay will work fine i used to use one before for recovering data from sata drives. the problem with NAS is that you are creating another point of failure, at least with lots of drives you increase your chances and doesn't require much money.
  17. what about 8 750gb HDDs? label them Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, Fri4 get a usb SATA hotswap bay. keep them in a fireproof data safe (different from a normal fire proof safe) and use NTBackup (if you dont have any other backup software) to back it all up to a different HDd each day.
  18. I have my money in an ISA (natwest @~4.5%) there are much better places for it but its tax free and it's easy. If you want long term investment you'd have to speak to an Independant Financial Adviser to see about putting your money into one or many funds. If you wanted to go that route I could find out some IFAs in your area.
  19. I too would like to highly recommend CP. Can't comment on Simon, but Joe is a thoroughly nice bloke and even got me a price much lower that the others.
  20. yes RAID10 gives less capacity, but then RAID5 gives less than RAID0 Why would you ever allow 2 disk to get screwed? Only idiots would not notice a failed HDD and there is a lower chance of both of the same section of the stripe failing. If 2 disks fail irrepairably in RAID5 then you are done. as we were tlaking about <6HDDs then RAID 6 is a bit useless.
  21. if you can afford it, go RAID10, it's faster and more redundant. If you can't then I guess it's going to have to be RAID5 if you have <6hdds (not worth RAID6 when under that) Just remember RAID0 is called as much because thats how many files you'll get back when it fails.
  22. does osx have a sudoers file you can chuck yourself into to avoid the request for password?
  23. log in as root thats a joke btw, its a security feature, same as in *nix
  24. Reading more about this, this is a MAJOR screwup! Xen will be getting a lot of new customers tomorrow
  25. what happens on the 13th?
×
×
  • Create New...