-
Posts
1,314 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dwhyte85
-
Cheers for the reply, thanks for confirming... the problem was that we were being rushed by the sales company to do so, I only queried it today after seeing the cost per unit on the agreement, our machines come with XP Home already so upgrade to vista business then downgrade to Pro is a £20 more but we own the license not lease it, seems the best route to me if the average laptop life is 3 years give or take... saving us £40.00 per unit (and whatever markup the reseller puts on... up to 10% per year on 1 year agreement). My concern was with what i've been asked to do, moreover how many other batches are going to be realistically illegal... :'( Thanks for the reply, now I can confidently say... I need all 3 laptops back to re-image at the very least, hooray!
-
Hello, I have been sitting on my hands for a week now, don't want to rock the boat at my new job... but, before I came they went to a supplier (not my choice of supplier) and received 2 machines for imaging, not a problem, however... the second part of the order had not been fulfilled and we had not completed the MVL agreement nor received the CD's. I proceeded to image the machines using a Retail version of Windows XP, then, out of interest I went to change the License Key using the Microsoft Tool to our old MVL license key (still alive near end of agreement), of course we can't change it and the MVL CD can't be found. This is illegal, fairly confident of that - can i just have confirmation! We wouldn't be using the MVL serial or CD... it can't be legal, right?
-
I was planning on taking MCP on 2007 and converting to MCITP... guess i'll wait >_< - still, if i can get ahold of it I will have to play with it
-
Import data in Excel and use the :: as the delimiter and resave as CSV or just export the data/manipulate as needed with Excel... not rocket science... horses for courses... but, why reinvent the wheel? As it's currently a word doc he'd need to get it into a plain text format then onto a unix box/open from a unix machine, i think my way might be a bit easier in this scenario ;-)
-
This is a big commendation for Andy @ AMC AMC Computer Supplies not only did he get us the best quote for our Macs (by far) he helped a total noob with the process of purchasing and has been patient throughout, no pressure at all, top guy!
-
Very good idea but depends on what he wants to do with it after, but CSV is the simplest suggestion!
-
Why AutoIT, convert the doc to a text file and use VBS, tonnes of good info available on net on how to open a text file, how to find the position of a string and how to break it into separate chunks, lots & lots!
-
Another annoying feature with vista - check if you have selected 'work' or 'home' for the network type, the latter hides your computer and can be a right pain - although that wasn't your issue - hopefully save someone else with a similar issue, you got it fixed though :-D!
-
Has anyone got any experience with pulling e-mails from a mailbox and pushing to a database? I can think how to do it from a local replica/mailfile but would like to make it run through webDAV, have looked online and can't find an awful lot on this, considering writing my own helpdesk just to do some basic things until we have the budget for something a little more beefy. Would either use a scheduled task in VBS or write something in .NET to do this daemon/service. Any help/suggestions welcome!
-
Check the headers of the e-mail, see if they match up - could just be a bit poo with spelling, I know I am without my trusty spellchecker!
-
hahah, too true
-
Scheduled task to remove all non jpg, bmp, tif files? Not sure you could enforce through NTFS permissions, infact certain you couldn't!
-
This game is like heroin, moreish! I've had 4 level 70s on different accounts and have had to give the accounts away because i've ended up playing continually and other things like my studying, gym, rugby all suffered, whilst at uni i think i put on nearly 2 stone whilst being addicted to this game, raiding until 3am and eating crud! This game is definitely for the easily addicted, they have centers in Holland for gaming addiction and this comes in top! I do miss ganking low level alliance at Lakeshire :'( Apologies, did not check the date, another thread given the kiss of life - sorry.
-
Not to put a dampener on your idea but... anything you can do over the Internet solely will be somewhat worthless because of the obvious possibility of cheating, i'd personally do some learning on your core OS like Windows/Apple and start the learning. I've heard some companies offering solely online things, infact i think open.ac.uk might have a course or two for computing but, i think you'll be limited. Good luck, i'm sure you'll find your path!
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Following the chap i'm shadowing at the moment, he simply run from the fms folder the setup/installer file - can't remember the filename but, we had that exact same error.
-
Agreed, not necessarily the best method through SMB... put hamachi on a home machine, copy the files to the home machine, connect up through hamachi and connect securely and use SMB through this method? Sounds easiest and pretty secure.
-
SMB is port 445 ;-)
-
Hello, You'd need ports 137, 138, 139 & 445 (these are printer & filesharing ports). I've never done it... but you'd need port forwarding on the above ports on your router to your static IP assigned to your NAS.
-
Any dodgy BHO's loaded in add-ons (browser helper objects)? Dell has a standard one that comes with it that often balls things up
-
Hello, Not sure the RUNAS command could be used as simply, I don't think it would allow you to put in a password IIRC. VBS would be a better option as it has the option to impersonate
-
2 DHCP servers 1 ran out of ips other hasnt
dwhyte85 replied to kevin_lane's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Hello, If it's run out, you might want to shorten the lease times, might be that you have several addresses that are 'in use' but not really in use with either of the 2 servers. It might make more sense to make the scope include all the addresses on 1 server, like DAckroyd has said. -
Without physical destruction of a drive, is zero filling a fix to this, i've read that this is basically what most of the software does? Or maybe zero fill then do a random fill? as for physical destruction shove a set of ears on it and throw it in a ring with mike tyson.
-
QuakeLive.com is doing something similar with the old Q3 engine, it relies on your browser and can run on fairly old machines as it downloads an activex component and plays within the browser 'thin client' although still slightly dependant on PC spec and OS, I guess in principal this will be similar, with ever growing speeds with Internet connections it could work... but we all hate lag ;-)
-
Miaow, put your claws away... Apologies for kicking some life into this dead horse of a thread... ;-)
-
Had lots of issues with XP SP3 too, this is what I did: As per phone call, we followed the KB article: http://knowledgebase.scansoft.com/view.asp?60VQ=KFKI&5d7r4B= This is the full error information, this is after product key being entered, after prepping for copy - fails as just about to copy on installation. The spec of the PC was: XP SP3 2GB RAM 2.2 Core2Duo 120gb S-ATA HDD I did all as per the knowledgebase, still failed. I tried to firstly install .NET again, i know that the WinVerifyTrust is a function and was worried somehow .NET was knackered, this made no difference. I tried to install 3.1 Installer once more, again no difference. Removed XP SP3, proceeded to incrementally install bits, eg, only one set of components at a time and then going to add/remove and installing component by component. This worked without failure, I managed to install the software, however upon loading was faced with "Unable to find the file: C:\Windows\Speech\VCMD.exe", then proceeded to run with a repair.... still failed. Installed http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/sapi/spchapi.exe Run the software, hooray it works. For Vista, i'd imagine disable UAC would be the first step.
