-
Posts
1,314 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dwhyte85
-
The wage is really good, it's a modest ask in requirements for the wage - I guess the getting to might be a problem with trains and cost though
-
I also agree you can find out fairly quickly, i'd hope they put it through in the interview with a severe grilling and loud noises to scare the interviewee. Not really, i'm sure they have something in place to catch people out, especially with the economic climate as it is - lots more people going for the jobs, better selection of candidates - i'm sure they're on top of it. It is a really good wage though, good luck to all that apply.
-
I don't see the fascination with an MCSE, so many people are braindumping/proxy testing it's pointless :-/ Still good wages to whoever gets it
-
i thought they were 10" ;-)
-
We've, well they've... just bought 100 x NC20 12.1" full sized netbook balances supreme mobility and convenience. NC20 - N series - notebook computers | SAMSUNG They're pretty good, not 100% sure on battery life but they're better than our Acer 1.4ghz laptops :-P
-
Unless you've downloaded an old plug-in? Or on the control panel they have an outdated fantastico or scriptaculous (whatever they call it).
-
I have the exact same issue above with my M1730, it really is very frustrating but I know calling dell will result in me having my laptop out of action with no resolution :-(
-
Do you have the latest WP? You have checked your own machine for Keyloggers and trojans? Bit unfair of your provider, they would have it pretty locked down, if someone did compromise your site they should be able to do very little with the access they have. I once had a site of mine hacked, i added my own code to e107 and i didn't sanitise the inputs so they were able to do some damage on my VPS, if it's just a WP install i can't see how they'd be able to get in, AFAIK no 0day exists for WP on the latest version.
-
You would need the service to be running, go to services.msc from run and check if 'Automatic Updates' is set to enabled and running; i don't know why it'd stop though
-
Hello, Have you tried: WUAUCLT /detectnow on the machines from the cmd prompt instead of re-install? Also have you checked the C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log - might give you some insight
-
lot's of different variants now though :-( - could schedule a task or something as rudimentary as VBS to invoke the service start every 1hr or so and on computer startup like the other guys have said. Presumably all up to date on Windows updates... etc?
-
Conficker stops these services, have you checked you're clean?
-
renaming to mpg works for me with .mod, i've just tested with moviemaker and it's ok - i did this with a batch script on a scheduled task.
-
GPO, not script 'how to': Creating Wireless GPO Setting Not exactly what you asked, hopefully some help :-)
-
Do you remember the old shareware discs they used to come on? Triad, Duke3D and loads more - they were awesome. Isn't this the second time they've gone bust, or at least the company developing it?
-
Teachers ask to use DVDs in class - MPAA says videotape the screen!
dwhyte85 replied to somabc's topic in General Chat
:DIf i worked in an American School and the kids might benefit from the latest Harry Potter film, could I go along and record the screen, i'll just tell the cinema "it's ok, i'm in eductation". I like that, it's brightened up my day -
Hello, This is a script to generate a CSV file based on the EventLog readings(System->EventCode 10 (Successful print)), it will obviously mean you need to alter your EventLogging settings to allow for capturing as many events as you want to log (eg, up the filesize limit / manually delete). I'm not suggesting I wrote much of this and it has a fatal flaw, it doesn't query the TimeGenerated date through WMI, it instead uses a crude comparison - so it's a bit wasteful and could be tweaked, it also relies on all printers are your printserver, it doesn't connect remotely although you could alter the code as necessary. You can alter where you save to, the filename etc in the code - it's not the best code in the world... but it's free and it does do what it is supposed to :-P. See below for code: Private Function GetVBDate(DateTime) GetVBDate = DateSerial(left(DateTime,4),mid(DateTime,5,2),mid(DateTime,7,2)) End Function 'get wmi date to vbdate Dim objFso, objFolder, objWMI, objEvent ' Objects Dim strFile, strComputer, strFolder, strFileName, strPath ' Strings Dim intEvent, intNumberID, intRecordNum, colLoggedEvents dim theDate, startDate, endDate, temp1, temp2 ' -------------------------------------------- ' Set your variables intNumberID = 10 ' Event ID Number intEvent = 1 intRecordNum = 1 strComputer = "." 'alter as necessary strFileName = "\PrintReport.csv" strFolder = "C:\PrintReports" strPath = strFolder & strFileName startDate = inputbox("Please Enter Start Date (first date of printing) in DD/MM/YYYY format") endDate = inputbox("Please Enter End Date (last date of printing) in DD/MM/YYYY format") ' ---------------------------------------- ' Section to create folder to hold file. Set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") If objFSO.FolderExists(strFolder) Then Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strFolder) Else Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder(strFolder) Wscript.Echo "Folder created " & strFolder End If Set strFile = objFso.CreateTextFile(strPath, True) '-------------------------------------------- ' Next section creates the file to store Events ' Then creates WMI connector to the Logs Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:" _ & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _ & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") Set colLoggedEvents = objWMI.ExecQuery _ ("Select * from Win32_NTLogEvent Where Logfile = 'System'" ) intEvent = 1 strFile.WriteLine "Date, DocName, User, Printer, IP/USB, Pages" For Each objEvent in colLoggedEvents If (objEvent.EventCode = intNumberID) Then theDate = getVBDate(objEvent.TimeGenerated) theDate = formatDateTime(theDate, vbShortDate) startDate = formatDateTime(startDate, vbShortDate) endDate = formatDateTime(endDate, vbShortDate) if ((theDate >= startDate) AND (theDate <= endDate)) Then temp1 = theDate&"::"& objEvent.Message temp1 = replace(temp1, " owned by ","::") temp1 = replace(temp1, " was printed on ","::") temp1 = replace(temp1, " via port ", "::") temp1 = replace(temp1, ". Size in bytes: ", "::") temp1 = replace(temp1, "; pages printed: ","::") temp1 = replace(temp1, ",", "") temp1 = replace(temp1, "::",",") temp2 = split(temp1,",") temp1 = temp2(0)&","&temp2(1)&","&temp2(2)&","&temp2(3)&","&temp2(4)&","&temp2(6) strFile.WriteLine temp1 intRecordNum = intRecordNum +1 End If End if IntEvent = intEvent +1 theDate = "" Next Wscript.Echo "Complete, check folder." WScript.Quit
-
Why are Mac Lovers so biased ??
dwhyte85 replied to DrPerceptron's topic in Apple Mac Haters's Apple Mac Haters Topics
Because it's like scientology, once you're in... you're in for life, the Mac Fanboi crew will hunt you down if you try to ever escape. They fill you with glorified propaganda on how they never get viruses, how they can edit videos but they never told you that you need to be happy playing no games, struggle with compatability in the real world and that and that despite the pretty exterior they're actually powered by the devils scrotum. Mac users think that they GUI is intuitive, i guess... if they started out solely on a Mac it makes sense but no human, monster or alien would consider a Mac easier to use if they'd equally used a PC. -
Our school has departmental budgets, an infrastructure budget and an ICT budget - i've yet been told either budget that i deal with! I have to literally beg for 30 headsets... Apparently... last year they had 200k to spend on ICT & Infrastructure, I can't see where it has gone We have a couple of support contracts I want to cancel... but I can't because they've been in place for yonks, cant tread on toes... we have a really great structure, we have 2 technicians both highly skilled and myself but they have no trust in our IT dept! I'm worried because I feel this is going to seriously impede what I can do in terms of IT within the school, the state it has been left in with licensing, hardware, network & basically relations with staff my job feels a bit like an uphill struggle! 20K sounds really low, they're expecting alot of you for that!
-
Although I don't know the full in's and out's... I am continually checking the Microsoft sites, some hacking sites to check latest threats and basically doing what network managers do... keeping ontop of what's going on in IT... I download ISO's for MVL often... how on earth can they quantify excessive use for a Network Manager! I need to understand what the BSF, Tupe means before I can give any educated response but it seems like you've said a reason to sack someone... that's pretty lame, this is someones life and they've probably given there all whilst at the school - schools were once seen as a 'safe bet' for jobs... i'm wary now, it shouldn't be solely about money!
-
On what grounds was dismissal?
-
You could have children searching for googledorks and known blind sql injection points, that brings up those pages... only kidding, more likely that 50 kids have typed "facebook proxy" :-) and like said above, they may think it's being done for illicit purposes or, the amount of searching is like a bot.
-
250 PCs & Laptops (give or take a few), 2 ICT technicians & me managing, I do as much support as my time allows so realistically 2.5-ish, haha. I think considerations need to be made for your network too, I would rather have 400 computers, 2 members of staff and myself with HP printers, standardised builds on PCs, Dell laptops, SMS and lots of other really cool bits than my current network setup of a mixmatch of Toshiba, Acer, HP, some makes i'm not even sure about, although in time it'll be what i want...
-
Registered workers ONLY (schools + companies) forums?
dwhyte85 replied to mb2k01's topic in Comments and Suggestions
I guess the groups could be used to this effect if the group owners/administrators moderated? I can see some use for it, although prior to starting at the school I wouldn't have been able to search the information i needed. -
Registered workers ONLY (schools + companies) forums?
dwhyte85 replied to mb2k01's topic in Comments and Suggestions
I'm sure they could do it but... imagine the administration involved, maybe by e-mail address they could automate it, we'd all need to sign up with our school e-mails, have an extra field in our profile and an automated clickable link is sent to confirm the address - could be a bit of a tough one to administer. If i leave my job in 2 weeks, i'd still have access with my method above, it'd have to be e-mails sent every few months:confused:
