Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dwhyte85

Members
  • Posts

    1,314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dwhyte85

  1. Unable to collect otherwise i'd be on it double quick time. Had looked :-)
  2. Sounds like you want code to automatically enter Captcha fields... (the random pictures that pop up on alot of sign up pages). Try googling 'automate captcha entry'. If you're looking to scan actual text on a page, you could modify Head Strong autoclicker and use a Auto-It script/send keys to do the entry. Either way... not sure I like what you'd be using it for...
  3. I want to, have got one of my staff to go through a demo with one of the nice ladies @ smoothwall - budget is very slim this year but i had budgeted for a beefy server to replace the old proxy server we have... currently, the setup is MS Proxy Server forwarding to the CachePilot (causes issues with Ajax heavy sites)... wasn't my idea but they did it to keep the cachepilot on it's own subnet so kids/staff couldn't bypass the default gateway and forward requests although they could have done it a different way! I really, really want SmoothWall or at worst, WebMarshal - finding it difficult to justify out of my tiny bucket of funds :-(
  4. I might have to see whether we can upgrade, I was told by the last IT manager it'd be upgraded to a Sophos product but no sign of that happening yet, can't be mandatory then!
  5. Looking for a CCNA kit with delivery, willing to pay max £125.00 w/ deliv. Advice welcomed on hardware too!
  6. I think schools and small businesses suffer from IT-itous, they're scared to argue with IT costs as it's this mystical beast that they've never had any real experience with. Personally, I am not at a consultant level, I think i'm fairly adept but nowhere near a consultant should be. However, I think this argument has to be realistic... hiring a sole individual for tech support and/or consultancy is very different to using large consultancies... I worked for a fairly large consultancy and was hired out as a consultant, the people i worked for could hardly do anything with computing and didn't know where else to turn, larger companies abuse this fact. I think it's unfair to say all consultants overcharge, it depends on what they're being asked to do/advise on, within a school I don't see the IT ever being insanely difficult to implement... that's a different story... however, consultants are hired to step in to perform manager/directing duties and give IT wisdom, stuff a headteacher, IT Technician etc might not have. Tech Support on the other hand I think is fairly well priced, having worked with outsourced IBM in Germany and receiving first line duties @ €8 per ticket and SL/SysAdmin @ €15 was pretty fair considering they may have not been called that often, although was frustrating when reporting to see people calling in because they couldn't work out how to change their password, add attachments to e-mails considering they were given training on it! Everyone has to earn a crust, if the costs are too great you have to shop around, plenty of sites like oDesk, RentaCoder which offer out sourced consultancy/solutions.
  7. Is this mandatory for SEGfL? About 10 minutes to smashing it with a hammer.
  8. I had a few issues a while back with the .htaccess doing odd things, although, not quite like this - guys above have given sound advice :-) The directory sounds like it could be right, nothing silly like it's been uploaded as test.php.txt or anything
  9. With one of my old companies, I used to be hired out on a day rate of £350.00 & half day of £225.00 - these weren't to schools, I used to be paid £21k a year, I don't think i'm worth £350.00 a day but, as said above we were normally called in emergency situations where we had to adapt to our surroundings very quickly and sometimes perform near miracles and it'd be unlikely the same business would call more than 4 times a year (some exceptions), although I do not agree with the amount my company used to charge.
  10. I'm thinking that might just be the easiest thing to do - cheers.
  11. The simplest method would be: If you're using an image to put onto machines, it would be already off the domain. When you image a machine it doesnt matter whether they're on/off the domain, it might be worthwhile deleting the computer account from AD if you want to be careful. When you've finished imaging, use a tool called NewSID, this will ensure your machines wont give funny errors for dup SIDs. When you've finished SID'ing, rejoin the computer to the domain and rename the computer accordingly, then put in correct OU.
  12. Hello all, We are having a slight issue with some Ajax pages, infact some aren't loading at all. We have tested directly connecting to the our separate subnet to the cachepilot, this works fine but for all staff/students it's the forwarding from MS Proxy Server 2.0, has anyone experienced anything similar to this? The obvious answer would be... just remove the MS Proxy Server and point peoples proxy settings to the cache pilot and it'd be a lot easier, unfortunately I don't know why it was setup this way so i have to be careful incase it was done purposely, i can't see why it would but i have to tread carefully for the JIC scenario... any suggestions aimed at MS Proxy Server 2.0 greatly appreciated!
  13. fopen to create the file and fwrite to put the contents into the created file. so $hndl = fopen('/path/to/myfile.csv', 'x'); //SOME FOR LOOP, WRITE FORMATTED TWITTER DATA eg, x,y,z,1,2,3 fwrite($hndl, $twitterstringvar); //END FOR LOOP fclose($hndl);
  14. We are giving 1 per pupil for sixth formers, around 100 laptops - not looking forward to it at all... so many things have not been considered, we have 3 staff members inclusive of myself & now around 500 laptops/pc's 300 of which are very old, bring it onnn! [joe swanson like voice].
  15. This used to work, it's with the registry though: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ Or changing the properties on My Docs manually to point to the drive letter :-(
  16. PHP: urldecode - Manual UrlDecode, this will change %23 to # within your string $tag = urldecode($_GET['tag']);// should work or, $tag = $_GET['tag'];$tag = urldecode($tag); if($_GET['tag']==''){ $tag = 'Search...';} if (!isset($_GET['maxpages'])) { $max_pages = 20; }else { $max_pages = $_GET['maxpages']; } if ($max_pages > 50) { die("No way am i doing more than 50 pages. Sorry mate."); } ?>
  17. If you want to go the FTP route: PHP: ftp_connect - Manual FTP_CONNECT() & FTP_PUT() $file = 'somefile.txt'; $remote_file = 'readme.txt'; // set up basic connection $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); // login with username and password $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); // upload a file if (ftp_put($conn_id, $remote_file, $file, FTP_ASCII)) { echo "successfully uploaded $file\n"; } else { echo "There was a problem while uploading $file\n"; } // close the connection ftp_close($conn_id); ?> Put your form within here and do it this way (if it has to be FTP).
  18. I used Advanced Installer, it's free to create a simple package. You can pretty much do what you want with it, just select the folder you want to deploy and then select your params for the deployment. Not sure if you need more advice, if so drop a PM - although, pretty self explanatory :-)
  19. Your agreement will state... you can install for them and have it setup with the same MLV but you can't distribute the software on CD with the key to staff or students. I think the idea is you can't have a totally stand alone unit (desktop) at home for a teacher with the software but you could do it with a laptop (installation, not distribution).
  20. You'd need to be a registered business at the very least, i'm sure other hoops need to be jumped through though. Just to add to that, if you mean he's reselling things like Vostros - he may have just signed up for a small business account, i doubt he'd have got a preferred partner/reseller type go ahead.
  21. I use omegadrivers without the control center, they're usually pretty robust and engineered for performance (if you're into your gaming at all).
  22. Setup & menus look nearly identical, i like the gradiants used, very Mac
  23. Presumably you'll have something like Virtuozzo installed and just rebuild if it's a vps or just delete the account and hosting and recreate? Nobody sets out to be hacked but in this case he's been unfortunate, although... advice to resolve the issue is better than threatening or offering an alternative solution that requires him to buy something different, it very much seems like avoiding the problem. Unfortunately... people wont care about your costs they care about support and feeling like people care about them as a customer, i'm afraid i don't sympathise with Memset whatsoever or agree with your reasoning. If i went in to work Monday and decided that recovering a pupils work wasn't worth my time as Network Manager and that they should seek a data recovery specialist - I would be in jeopardy of my job, of course priorities come into it and time constraints but at the end of the day... it's my end user as he is Memsets, not just a PayPal account who's paid x amount of money. My opinions... i've used many webhosts, most of them don't give a monkeys about customers, the low prices they offer is a definite trade off with quality of customer services, cheap hosts with either the non existant support or outsourced support which cannot do the job, BodHost is a great example of that!
  24. I have to admire your courage considering the thread was very much against you before you joined it! I think it shows the frustration and disbelief of an up and coming IT guy, he never purposely got hacked, support should have been there for him rather than threatening him/pushing him to take another package, I don't condone the pasting of the PM but you need to understand that approaching someone informally through a forum is unlikely to result how you want.
  25. DC Universe Online is going to be out soon, aren't you a bit tempted by it
×
×
  • Create New...