Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dwhyte85

Members
  • Posts

    1,314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dwhyte85

  1. It's not a waste as it automates phone calls, texts & e-mails - but it's also very good for cleansing data as it complains alot about incomplete data... thanks, also the interface is far easier for our reception staff to use, plus... our reporting team get very grumpy when reception do anything on SIMS (as they ask too many questions). Was a suggestion however... as I know from my POV I don't have time to do this and nor does my staff.
  2. I know this isn't a direct fix but there is something to integrate into SIMS which will help with housekeeping and speed up mailmerging, it's called keepkidssafe - i'm normally an absolute tur[d]...nip when it comes to buying software to do things i can do myself but this is pretty neat, i can leave the office staff to do it without fear of a meltdown.
  3. hahah that's great:)
  4. I like the idea of him being a closet gamer, firing up a bit of source before he goes to bed haha.
  5. In my short time here i've asked to block it 3 times and been told they needs it for resources, they're an arts & media school, and need it and they use it for lessons... it's a necessity... EVERY day I go round catching the pupils on music videos and teachers just don't do anything, homework club should be called MTV catchup... all they do is watch music videos! Teachers want to unblock twitter and facebook for educational purposes and are so trusting in the pupils they think it wont be abused... Good on you, I argue i should download resources and put them locally (WITH PERMISSION) so everyone can use them but they don't like that idea...
  6. If that's directed at me... you haven't seen the state of the IT within the school and the amount of work we have to do :-(
  7. I'm in Slough, ICT Network Manager was 25-28k, not telling you my exact wage though... Trainee technicians get 16-18k Technicians get 20-21k We work the holidays, we can't take off time during term time. We are allowed 2 weeks in the summer holidays, we always need cover regardless of summer holidays so we have to work between us 3 to decide upon holidays. We receive 25 days holiday. The pay scales depend on qualifications, eg., degree, MS certs, A+ etc. Hope this is some help.
  8. I received my MCSA in February, tempted to finish my MCSE but at the moment, looking to take a week bootcamp for my CCNA and do CEH & Security+ in my other week off - just need to find money for the exams on the latter 2. CompTIA is definitely a good route for neutrality and people are finally recognising the courses on CVs.
  9. I have to say... I quite like it in terms of look and how it works, tad slow but i'm guessing it's on shared hosting, for a pupil this would be pretty good... but not something i'd like to use long term. I did notice a few rogue results when searching Rugby, nothing illicit just a bit odd... iPod touch!? Anyway, I like it... if/when it's filtered, sped up and tweaked it'll be something I could a child at our school using.
  10. As much as I agree with name & shame and fight the power... I do think in some situations it's better just to get on with it, i've been to a few roles where i've felt it's been done just to make up the numbers, to complain would have been a waste of my time, time that if i was unemployed would be better suited finding a job or if in a job better used to find another. What frustrates me most is it costs in terms of travelling & mental prep. before an interview - it's really unfair to do it. Grumbledook & Duncane are right, but don't go ape over it, a well worded letter to the right people can be far more productive than 6 telephone calls to the wrong people.
  11. But, the problem being after removal if a new user attempts to use Excel it will bring up the installation box for the new user. You could try map a drive to a network share with the MSOCache, for 2003 the regkey was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE -MICROSOFT - OFFICE - 11 - DELIVERY - LocalCacheDrive I'm sure changing the 11 to whatever the number for 07 is might work, bear in mind that if it was Z as the localcache drive the folder must read z:\msocache for it to stand a chance of working, although I never had great success with this, i bit the bullet and kept it on my netbooks... just because of the hassle caused.
  12. I thought GW-BASIC was a compiler? Maybe i've used something different.
  13. I'll sponsor a tenner, for a good cause. Will fill form in a moment, can't the thread be stickied, is for a good cause! Just tried and got this: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4975/faily.jpg Will try again in an hour
  14. Has a gui, FreeBASIC compiler (a free BASIC compiler) - official page - News [en]
  15. Hello, although I don't like advocating other forums, google shell livewire, they're very good - gives you info packs, forums for new businesses to discuss and even plug businesses. Apologies if this is not allowed... Don't forget to get your business on local websites/local papers and WoM is a very, very good way to get business. Best of luck.
  16. It's private in the sense I can't be found and i take the steps not to add people from work and nobody can see anything from my profile, but very true it is a site owned by someone else if you want to be pedantic. I think you've made a good point, if something is put on a site like this it's not public as private as you try to make it... don't add those dodgy fit birds you've never met as they're out to get you, not in it for your lucky charms.
  17. We had a similar issue with a pupil and cyber bullying, i'm not sure where the line can be drawn. To put some idea on what happened, girl used popular social networking site, uploaded picture and girls from school commented nastily (it was very mean, picture contained disabled family member) and offending girl ended up with suspension. I had to unblock the site to allow 'logs' to be printed. I can understand why a school would want some control of homelife (depression, relations with pupils, leaving jobs etc) but in the case of the Facebook incident originally mentioned, that's a tad harsh... but where do you draw the line, for this reason I don't give my facebook details/publish them publically, keep personal life personal!
  18. programs can do that, the script he is after will just enter captcha, they would combine it with something like Hold'em calculator and pretty much have an automated game of poker.
  19. If the script used the technology to analyse a graphic it could hook onto Party Poker pop ups, Party Poker gives a pop up now after a random amount of time... certain people who use auotmated bots (lots around) can't automate it without this as they'd need to manually enter.
  20. There are plenty around you need to google it, we cant tell you these things if anything we'd try to prevent this, i know i would if i had any captcha implemented!
  21. Or for PartyPoker when using automated bots ;-)
  22. Exactly, they exist on certain forums which I won't mention, mainly coded in Delphi & VB6... I've only ever known it to be used to bombard forums with accts or create multiple e-mail accounts!
  23. I think it's fn + F8, cycle through like mentioned above.
  24. I'd be embarrassed to show my green daewoo, it's really time constraints on when I can, delivery would go to school as i'm setting up the kit for me and my two technicians. I'll just buy one from eBay rather than face an inquisition.
×
×
  • Create New...