-
Posts
1,314 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dwhyte85
-
When you ping the domain, eg, MySchool.local what happens on the problematic machines? Are all machines problematic?
-
Competition: Count the badges
dwhyte85 replied to Ric_'s topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
327 is my guess- 122 replies
-
- adobe
- adobe badges
-
(and 6 more)
Tagged with:
-
That is awesome to the max.
-
Wilkinson home brand, nothing like a hacked & sliced face in the morning
-
It's a bit like the software, promises one thing and delivers another ;-)
-
SOLD last week.
-
Based on technical support... they'll turn up in about a week.
-
Moreover, it's a forum for discussion... - not a jobsite. I think it's healthy for people to discuss pay & roles, it's not like the employer is going to change the pay based on what the forum says! Maybe jobs should be a category in which people submit the details and they're displayed outside of the forum if they are not to be commented on.
-
I'm sure they re-sell quality goods and source quality engineers... but if i receive one more e-mail from them / one more phone call I might have to enforce a PSL.
-
McKinnon: The longest ever game of pass the parcel
dwhyte85 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Realistically a tenth of the media reported 70 years would be realistic, although not really in-line with what was committed. 3-4 years tops would be more than adequate, US then take a hit and say they have worked on improving security on IT systems and stop all the sillyness. Again, in my opinion. If i was a US security official... i'd have to take this on the chin and put procedures in place to ensure it never happened again... rather than crying over spilled milk. -
Plenty of scope for more, having used them they double charged me then told me the restaurant was closed. Devestating when you're starving after waiting 30 mins!
-
McKinnon: The longest ever game of pass the parcel
dwhyte85 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
I can't understand your eAttitude, socrates - alot of IT guys agree that this has gone to far, of course you're entitled to an opinion... but respect ours too. Simply put, Gary got into the US systems and made them look inept. If Gary could do it how many trained terrorists could have done this, do they even know if other people got access? What ever the US say... it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, what evidence do we have it is true? It is more likely to be a campaign for retribution to hide the fact they were slack on setting up machines & made to look silly, the US have quite clearly tried to make an example... when truth is they don't know if anyone else had access during this time - they were slack. Any damage he could have done remotely shouldn't have been possible, think of it in terms of a teacher on VPN... any damage they do is my fault as the network manager, they should not have access to cause any problems. Any damage done should have been repairable simply from back-ups. If he had installed remote software, how on earth didn't they notice it! Most keep an icon in the system tray, if not software should be used to monitor apps installed/removed on these clearly very important machines. If it was a trojan they would have surely found with AV. He looked for unset admin accs, how is this stealing passwords, did he find a passwords.txt file on the root of the machines he got on? Let's face it the US messed up, they did not give the necessary care into setting up systems which potentially held sensitive information & they want a scape goat, they want to pass the buck and blame Gary for the clear inability to setup the network securely. In terms of cost... to deny remote access is quite simple, netstat -b would have shown the connections and app running, netstat -n would have shown IP and ports. How about people running botnets and have government laptops infected, are they to get the same treatment? I doubt it. The point is... does the crime warrant the punishment? In my opinion no it doesn't - people do far worse on-line and get away with tiny sentences (if any), if we think about it in-terms of cost, google darkmarket fraudsters... look at what they had done and how much it cost then review the sentences. -
McKinnon: The longest ever game of pass the parcel
dwhyte85 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
I think this is crazy, i've followed this for ages now (the story, not this thread). I have watched how DarkMarket fraudsters have got away with next to no punishment, probably with e-gold & liberty reserve accounts bursting with laundered funds/sale of illegal goods. Although Gary had compromised the systems did he actually do anything wrong other than point out a clear inability to protect government systems? If it was the case things were deleted they'd of course have a robust data backup procedure, if it was the case he could have read things they could have had permissions set! As I read it... he literally just dialled in, and went to a server UNC and went to the hidden share. Whether or not it was a trap... debatable, I'd imagine it was more a neglectful IT guy... Although he was acting as a blackhat, based on what's said... he was just being a bit annoying rather than malicious. Aspergers or not, this has gone to far - the punishment doesn't fit the crime, IMO at least. -
SIMS Autumn Update - Incompatible DB Error upon login
dwhyte85 replied to dwhyte85's topic in MIS Systems
Crisis avoided, my settings did not allow me to run anything from the network drive & the user in question was in the back seat of a car on a flakey 3g connection trying to get the updates on her client... d'oh -
Anyone had this issue and is it easy to resolve?
-
We are a large secondary based in Berks, we very recently got Ruckus. Ordered through CP LTD as they were nearly 3k cheaper than other quoters & have good technical knowledge - didn't try to sell me the world, just what I asked for, we were struggling as we had a tight budget for this kit and the other 2 quoters were over our budget, very glad I read the edugeek forums for some direction. In terms of technical knowledge the ZD is pretty easy to setup anyway but as time was an issue for us, we had CP set it up... came ready to go out of the box, it's unbelievably easy. I'm struggling on the meshing side at the moment because I haven't RTM but having read elsewhere that's pretty easy to setup. The coverage is very good on the Ruckus AP's, we have over bought on APs deliberately for growth and to account for saturated areas of use - we are supposedly getting more netbooks for years 8,9,10 & 11, it's good to know I can just go to our store area and collect one, tag it and plug it in. We haven't had time to properly fit them at the height we want but two screws and wall plugs and the option for PoE or mains, can't go wrong. I think it's best to overbuy on AP's if you have a large amount of laptops/wireless devices or you're going to buy more. Looking back on it because of how busy it is during 8.30 and 4.00 I would have asked for installation on top of configuration, it's hard for us to find time to put them in and I hate seeing the remaining investment sitting next to us because we can't access rooms. Have to be honest, I hate buying through resellers normally I find them pretty intrusive and steal my time, Simon was very good - communication through e-mail (my favourite) & quick responses - can't fault CP on this order from getting the quote to after sales.
-
CPLTD "smashed it" (as our girls say) when quoting and delivering on, what to us is a huge amount of money spent on Ruckus gear. Saving us nearly 2.5k off other quotes, that's a huge amount of money to our school - we really couldn't have bought it if we didn't go through CPLTD, we just didn't have the money to stretch any further. We are now in the process of putting in our Ruckus gear, works a charm - all pre-configured and ready out of the box. No hassle from CPLTD, no pushy phone calls or pushing me for anything & quick responses when I wanted to know about my order. Very happy with price, customer service and timeframe it was delivered. Relieved & looking forward to alot less wireless issues with our near 300 netbooks.
-
The only issues we've seen with the NC10 (and newer replacement) is speed on Wireless connecting to the domain whilst on battery, on initial getting of profile it's pretty slow, we have overcome this by scripting an auto login using the original XP Home licensing that comes with it to prompt for username and pw and then map drives, proxy and anything else needed based on OU & Username. Saving money on licensing and speeding things up leads to happy SLT. They are relatively low cost which is the driver for our SLT, they are expected to do everything on it - Excel, Access, Word, Internet & more annoyingly when teachers do not plan a lesson watch youtube, on the NC20s we even have photoshop installed and it works, although a bit slow... I was not a fan prior to buying them, I had limited experience with the ASUS E Series and hated them, the XP Home Samsungs are pretty good, as much as I hate to admit it.
-
It's not so great for reporting over VPN, RDP is probably the best option as above if they do anything fairly data intensive.
-
Having to sell my new laptop as i've now overspent at Christmas and can't afford to pay bills, long time until the last day of the month! Less than a month old, has 11 months warranty. CPU: 2.4 ghz Core2Duo CPU (T8300) HDD: 300GB S-ATA RAM: 4GB DDR2 OS: Vista Home Premium Edition (x64) GFX: Dual SLI - nVIDIA GeForce 8700M Screen: 17" Widescreen WUXGA TrueLife Has webcam and media remote. Good machine, looking for £750 OVNO.
-
We're in the process of doing this, annually adding a year group to all have netbooks. We're at year Y7 & Y12 & Y13 at the moment, we were initially using LinkSys points which... were doing the job... but with areas that were heavily populated, for instance the library, study room & VI form common room it would continually drop and it was getting very awkward as 100 people connecting nearby would cause issues which couldn't always be resolved - hence you giving me a call about Ruckus on behalf of Simon to explain it all. Dependant on how many laptops you have you then need to worry about security of storing the netbooks, we have a locked area within a canteen with metal garage-like shutters that come down at the end of the day. You then have to worry about charging, we had to have another ring* put in at some cost - this was for 130 laptops charging at the same time. It was hilarious when the premises/facilities staff said it was good to go, we turned them on and most of the rooms lost power. Maintenance of netbooks is awkward, hard to change parts, hard to get parts and we have found Samsung to be particularly awkward in obtaining any support when in warranty and being told to contact a company that doesn't exist or at least answer its phone or reply to e-mails for non-warranty/out of warranty issues! Like already said (and you already know) it will need managed wireless, frequent laptop checks, safe way of transporting laptops to and from lessons, secure storage for the laptops, enough oomph to charge all laptops & lots of time to security mark every laptops, tag them add them to your CMDB/Inventory... of course we all do the latter 3 anyway.
-
Having received quotes I found CP to be cheaper by quite a bit (nearly a fifth) to other quotes which has saved me scouting out a different product in a very short period of time. I'm not here to be friends with any suppliers & I will complain about suppliers if they're poor - check my other posts. CP went beyond the call of duty yesterday... I expect good service as a standard when spending the governments money - what I received was excellect service & a better price. That's my personal experience - I can't vouch for everyone else. My guessing is that you'd need to get more than one set of quotes anyway before you could go ahead for auditing purposes?
-
I feel your pain on time constraints for ordering... I'm/was in the exact same situation - I had Wednesday-Friday to get it going!
-
Haha, I wanted it before... I just didn't know it was reachable in terms of budget - I had today only to get this done as I need to go to the business manager with quotes tomorrow AM to get this moving ASAP. So thankyou both - saved me alot of worry going into tomorrow.
-
[wanted] Satellite Pro A120 Battery Cover
dwhyte85 replied to michaelf's topic in Classified Adverts
I have an A120 which I'm breaking apart as the board is fried - if you don't have any joy give me a pm.
