Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jonathan.lees

Members
  • Posts

    125
  • Joined

Everything posted by jonathan.lees

  1. I think I found the answer in another thread: I'm assuming that photos in sims are required as part of secondary legislation and is covered under safeguarding so would fall under legal obligation and therefore no consent is needed?
  2. Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm just trying to find out which basis for processing applies to the photos that we take of students (by a 3rd party) which are imported into SIMS and then display in other programs - cashless catering and classroom layouts. I'm not sure whether it is consent (hope not) or if there's a legal requirement perhaps tied into education act or something along those lines.
  3. I recommend Pluralsight, there's an annual or a monthly fee and you can do any course you like. I'd also recommend buying a book for each of the MS qualifications and work your way through it alongside the training videos and practice, practice, practice so you'll need a decent spec machine and a load of VMs especially if you are wanting MSCA server. It's really tough too so you might want to start with CompTIA A+ or similar. That's the advice I give my apprentices.
  4. Hi all, can I just check for school trips, we are sending travel companies/trip organisers a lot of personal data including medical information all with parental consent. Am I right in thinking we need to ensure these companies are GDPR compliant and ask them to supply us with a privacy notice before sharing and that should suffice?
  5. Our art department have a 3 workstations and some macs that they can still use for SD cards. Beyond that anyone that needs access to a usb brings them to us. So far as we've only banned them for staff its been no issue. Come September once the ban is in place for students too it maybe a different story
  6. Yeah three cheers to Exam WritePad from me too. Its been great, I've had to use it to restore once so far and the autosave is a godsend. Also have used it to catch students messing about in mocks, one student handed in a blank page once and I looked through the autosaves and he'd basically written loads of harsh stuff about the invigilator and his teachers. Slap!
  7. no we just use the onedrive app, azure AD logs them in automatically + there's a few GPO options which can be configured too. Only downside is the app has to be run manually the first time, can't seem to auto launch it but once done the shortcut to their onedrive folder is accessible from file explorer. No need for any 3rd party software. I won't use it for their network drive as I've no backup mechanism so have just told staff to use it like they would a usb.
  8. blocked them this year for staff using Windows and we're just using OneDrive instead. No grumbles and teachers just get on with it but a bit of a pain for us for teacher interviews and visitors as we have to copy whats on their USBs to the network should not email it in advance. From September we're banning them for students too, that might be a bit bothersome.
  9. we had a computer science exam and students were struggling to write pseudo code being used to using tabs. I'll just have to remember to inform them to use ctrl+tab instead next time.
  10. Many thanks. Just one other thing, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before or perhaps it's a feature but the tab key doesn't work. I've figured that ctrl+tab works does the job though..
  11. Same. However I've just discovered if I run the executable from a folder on my C: drive it works fine but if I run the executable from a folder on my desktop it doesn't launch. I do have a redirected desktop so it could be a permission issue maybe. I've just moved the exam write folder into my Program Files and put a shortcut on my desktop and it's working ok now.
  12. I've deleted the file and tried but still the same. When run the cursor just whirrs a few seconds and nothing happens.
  13. Hi, is anyone running the latest version on Windows 10 1804? I can't get it to launch, works fine in 1709. Is there anyway to debug to see whats going on? thanks
  14. Had O365 for around 5 years now and just rely on Microsoft 90 days but can also backup to pst using outlook client if needed. Can't afford any other solution sadly.
  15. The DfE guidance states the DPO needs to expert in data protection law and IT security, understand how data flows across school and also to be in a senior position in school with enough clout to tell people what to do and to be listened to. Is your technician all of these. If not then he can't be the DPO. Could be worse, we have the same issue as you, SLT have left everything till last minute and now panicking, we've no DPO, head teacher tells me she will do it temporarily.
  16. I have one I worked on with our student council, we're a secondary. I'd prefer not to post it publically, pm me if you'd like to see it.
  17. We use WPAD and PAC so that SEN laptops that go home don't have our proxy configured as the kids can't change it due to GPO's and they wouldn't have web access with out it. If anyone knows a better way of doing this, please let me know. Only downside I've seen to running it in school is that services are WPAD aware and want to use the proxy and fail due to authentication issues, I got around it by adding false dns entries for wpad in the etc/hosts file.
  18. We migrated about a month back to central and have 400 devices aboard. Haven't noticed any bandwidth changes, although I've not been actively monitoring it tbh as updates happen without notification.
  19. You can register here... https://www.capita-sims.co.uk/products-and-services/sims-parent-lite-app
  20. I work at a school with little to no budget for IT and still use Cobian 11 for data backups. I just have it set to do a daily incremental to a NAS box kept in our sixth form block which is not attached to the main building, so effectively it is offsite. I also use Cobian to do a weekly full backup on a Friday to an external drive, I have 4 of these and rotate them on a weekly basis. Every term I archive an external drive and purchase another to replace it. The external drives are encrypted with DiskCrypt. For our VMs I use Veeam free edition, it does full backups and not incremental, I do a daily backup of our SIMS VM which is saved on our NAS and a weekly backup of our other servers - VLE, SCCM, Cashless catering, Web etc. Again on a Friday I do a weekly backup of the VMs to the external drive just in case and that way I have two copies. I don't backup our VM DCs as they are easy and quick enough to rebuild however our main DC is physical and I use Windows Server Backup daily to another external USB to backup system state etc All of the software I use is free of charge, the only cost is the 5TB external drives I purchase once per term. I would like to backup to the cloud and be able to afford better backup solutions but our SLT say no money!
  21. We're using Teams and seeing no issues, however I've added our teams manually. Perhaps its something with Salamander?
  22. I'm hoping to improve on our staff and students making more use of Office 365 as we've been using it over 5 years now and staff only use it for email, students barely use it at all despite having access, although I do get a lot of calls from parents who want to download Office 2016 for free! So a while back I started up a weekly drop in session for teachers where I show them how to use OneNote, Sway, Planner, Teams and One Drive and hope that might spark some ideas but take up has been slow as my SLT don't really see the benefits beyond email despite having seen various webinars etc on Class notebooks. I'm just wondering if anyone has some ideas on further embedding it beyond training sessions for teachers, what have you done in your school?
  23. Having followed posts on here for a while I approached our head back in late August and she had not heard of GDPR either and it's a bit worrying that its left to the schools NM to point it out as nobody else in our SLT had. Saying that our LA did put on a training session for all schools a few months back so at least that was something but there really needs to be some proper guidance from DFE for Heads I think. I was at the Microsoft E2 seminar earlier this week and it was pointed out that the DFE have put some GDPR guidance for schools in the Census 2017-18 guide so its hidden away. While I'm here I just like to thank you all for keeping us up to date on all things GDPR.
  24. sounds like a really good idea for DRP, be interesting to find out how much you are paying, I've briefly looked into using Azure + VPN for backup storage but the pricing is a bit too much for my budget.
  25. I don't mean recreating the local account from O365, just worst case scenario our local ADDS fails, backups fails and I have to rebuild a new ADDS from scratch, what happens with the O365 synced accounts beyond converting them to cloud based accounts.
×
×
  • Create New...