Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jonathan.lees

Members
  • Posts

    125
  • Joined

Everything posted by jonathan.lees

  1. Just out of interest, how would we go about it if a new FQDN was used?
  2. ah great, that's good to know, quite simple then...
  3. I'm just in the process of updating our IT disaster recovery plan and I'm having to think about Office 365 as we use it for our email services and also for storage, teams, sway etc. We use Azure AD sync for account management and in a worst case scenario if our AD DS was irrevocable and we had a to build a new domain, I understand that the accounts in Office 365 would transfer over to cloud based accounts but does anyone have any knowledge they could share on how the Office 365 accounts could be migrated over to a new local AD DS domain?
  4. yep, no response from email, phone takes ages for them to answer lately and when they do, they are pretty rude, maybe it depends on who answers but their customer service skills are 0. I think they need a helpdesk.
  5. Is it just me or is Cunningham's Cashless phone and email support absolutely appalling?
  6. For Sale 1 Ruckus Zone Director 3000 Controller + 48 Zoneflex 7363 APs. All in working order, was in use until last month. Support licence has run out, but it may be able to be renewed. Please get in touch if interested, would like circa £1000, offers accepted.
  7. We've been trialling Teacher Dashboard for a while now and the few teachers that use it, love it. We're hoping to get more departments interested and using it, SLT are very keen. Also the price is very good. I honestly can't think of anything we don't like about it, but the biggest pro is the interface as it's very modern and easy to navigate. We have trialled a few others - ruler & skooler.
  8. I'm new to Hyper V and I have migrated some of our VMs from ESX. Everything was going good but I'm trying to get replication to work and it keeps failing with 0x80070005 general access denied error. I've also tried to export a VM and get the same error no matter where I try to export to. The permissions I've got set on the folders for replication and export are administrators both local and domain Full access, Virtual Machines Full access and also from a google search I gave the computer account full access. Google search suggests the following command: icacls "r:\Hyper-v\replicated" /grant "NT VIRTUAL MACHINE\Virtual Machines":F /T but still no luck. Any pointers would be much appreciated... thanks
  9. Disabling SMB1 on our DC's broke our Sophos UTM SSO so we had to turn it back on
  10. jeez, our support contract ends in November, I was already considering our options.
  11. We currently use PARS.net which has a signing in/out module for our sixth form. It's basic but works, students have a barcode on their ID card, they scan it and PARS records them in or out and it has the ability to write back into SIMS. However PARS.net is going AOL in July and is being replaced with PARS Connect which does not have a signing in/out module as no school uses it (apparently). If you have a sixth form centre please could you share how you do this. We've looked at Inventry as it's one of the few systems that has SIMS writeback but it's very pricey and as per usual we don't have the budget. Thanks.
      • 1
      • Thanks
  12. Thanks Sarge, implemeting pins is an extra layer I guess, wouldn't work internally though as it would definaely irritate staff. I wonder if it's possible for IIS to detect whether they are on an internal ip or external ip and present them with a pin based on that. If not maybe installing a seperate instance of pars connect for external access with pins enabled.
  13. It's an old thread I know but my headteacher has just asked for this. It's a risk and I'm concerned about security breaches. Every day I see reports of webservers being compromised and our teachers aren't overally digilent with their passwords. Beyond using ssl/tls on the webserver what else would you recommend to lock it down?
  14. Thanks Chuckster, I wasn't sure about the L3 cache, also on the Intel website the rrp of the E5-2680 is less than the E5-2683. Definately going for the E5-2680 2.5Ghz.
  15. Please help, for a new VM server I have to choose between 2 Xeon E5-2683V3 2.0Ghz 14 core or 2 Xeon E5-2680 2.5Ghz 12 core. The E5-2688V3 has 35Mb L3 cache whereas the E5-2680 has 30Mb L3 cache. The E5-2680 is also £150 more expensive in the quote I've been given... thanks!
  16. No there's nothing from Bloxx I miss. On Bloxx we were on version 7.1 which I found quite frustrating to use in the way that it opened tabs for each configuration option, the Sophos gui is a lot easier to navigate for sure. If you ask Wave 9 they'll be able to give you a demo.
  17. Our Bloxx licence expired last month and we just switched to Sophos UTM. The main reason was costs, our supplier (Wave 9) allowed us to pay over 3 years, everything else we looked at wanted 3 years costs up front.
  18. We've been from Dansguardian/Squid to Smoothwall to Bloxx and have now just purchased a Sophos UTM via Wave9. Before signing up for the Sophos we looked at many options, Netsweeper, Barracuda, Censornet, Opendium, Lightspeed, iBoss but the Sophos came up best not only for features but also pricing.
  19. Thank you Mark for your response and for explaining the pricing. Indeed we have been a customer for a long time and your support and service is second to none. I've been in touch with Matt and that issue has been sorted out now, I'll be back in touch nearer to our renewal date for another quote.
  20. Exa can do web filtering with their free Surf Protect product. I was told last year that in January this year it can your authenticate AD users to filter on a per group basis, but then I was told at Bett that this has been delayed now until April unless you purchase one of their expensive firewalls. That could save you having to purchase smoothwall boxes.
  21. Zen Internet & Wave 9 so far... We're only looking for a single 100mb leased line and FTTC backup. I really can't say anything negative about Exa's network, when we signed up years ago our LA supplied our connection, it was 10MB over fibre at the time and was costing circa £5000pa, but then they changed the pricing and it went up to £18,000! So we pulled out and went with Exa and a couple of FTTC connections for around £5000pa at the time. We've since upgraded to 50mb with burst to 100mb which we've never had any issues but there has been some miscommunication which has cost us hence we are looking elsewhere and coming across better pricing for 100mb leased line.
  22. We've used them for over 7 years. The support is fantastic, can't knock it one bit. But we are looking to move away now as their are others with more competitive pricing and also their sales team aren't the best, we've had a couple of issues that's dented our confidence.
  23. My concern though is that the students will be buying the chromebooks and therefore owning them, so I'm not sure what rights as a school we'd have to manage and control them. At least with a chromebook they'd have no viruses or malware, hopefully our UTM will block any VPN extensions installed and we can control web filtering. I think moving away from Office 365 to G Suite will be too much for our teacher, we've made some progress using Office 365 unlike VLE's in the past and I might face revolt if I suggest moving to another platform!
  24. thanks all for the replies. Is it around £12 for each device? I have no need to manage the Chromebooks since the pupils will be buying them outright but I do like the idea of SSO for the chromebook and Office365 if that can be done for free. It's a bummer that MS don't do something like a "Edgebook"
×
×
  • Create New...