CommodoreS
Members-
Posts
394 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CommodoreS
-
Smart Notebook 15.1 and Windows 10 (1703) Issues
CommodoreS replied to Rdavies66's topic in Windows 10
Also a good idea to uninstall\disable .Net Framework 4.7 if it installed via updates.- 8 replies
-
- smart board
- smart ink
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Smart Notebook 15.1 and Windows 10 (1703) Issues
CommodoreS replied to Rdavies66's topic in Windows 10
It could be also issues with newer versions of office and older versions of Smart Ink. Install 15.1 and then manually log on as a local admin and install the latest drivers and ink download: https://support.smarttech.com/en/downloads/product-drivers/12_6-and-ink-4_1 You can use the latest drivers and ink with olders versions of smart notebook.- 8 replies
-
- smart board
- smart ink
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I am having issues with Konica Minolta Printers\Photocopiers defaulting to 2-sided on the driver. I am using latest windows 10 PCL6 drivers, installing on the server and sharing out to machines via GPO under Users (User Config>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers) as a shared printer from the server share. I have set it as 1-sided on the driver installed on the server, but the machines are still pulling the driver down as 2-sided. Is there any way to make it so the machines get this as 1-sided without having to change it for each user on each machine manually?
-
GDPR and Primary Schools
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Does anyone know what company makes the visitor stickers that put red lines over the sticker after 24 hours? -
GDPR and Primary Schools
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
I think everyone has their own views on the actual GDPR requirements as they have no specific information and is more guidance which can be intereperited differently. I expect the LEA will eventually also have their own take on it and what needs to be done which is different to everyone elses views and opinions. So with a paper signing in system, what do people here think would have to be done or used to make it compliant. -
I just wondered if there was any clear guidance of what a primary school will need to do regarding GDPR to become compliant. I recently heard that schools will have to get rid of their paper based signing in books for visitors and get an electronic system due to this. Any other information on what would be required would be helpful.
-
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
This could be why I set it to 60 seconds: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2421599/windows-7-clients-intermittently-fail-to-apply-group-policy-at-startup It also told me the GPO is in Computer Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > System > Group Policy which was also enabled to 60 seconds. I guess it cant hurt to have both the GPO and a registry setting applied. I have now set both to 120. The only other GPO I have set inside Computer Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > System > Group Policy is Configure Registry Policy Processing which is enabled for Process even if the group policy objects have not changed and disabled for Do not apply during periodic background processing. I am wondering if I should also try enabling Set group policy refresh interval for computers to a low value and see what heppens. The event viewer logs showing no issues or problems. Strangely it said some GPOs had applied, but new MSI software I had allocated still did not start installing until after restarting the computer after the first boot and also did not pick up a change I made to remove sleep from power options. I will also try adding the DNS record as explained here: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/291388-windows-doesn-t-recognize-domain-until-60-seconds-after-startup -
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
I will try increasing it to 120 and see what happens. I am still interested to hear how sparkeh solved their NIC problem. -
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
I will check, but it sounds like this could be the same thing happening. What did you do to resolve the issue please? -
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
Also not sure why I am doing that one via registry, but expect there was a reason. What is the GPO setting for this setting called and where is it located? -
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
Always wait for the computer at startup and logon = Enabled Registry item SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicy set to 60 -
Win 10 Machines not picking up new GPOs until second reboot
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
I am still having this issue. Does anyone have any ideas? I am wondering still if is a GPO setting like: Run startup scripts asynchronously Enabled Which worked fine on Windows 7 and wondering if its something like that causing issues with new GPOs applying on the first boot. Always get applied fine if doing an immediate restart. -
When launching CleverLynx I am getting errors: Failed to create the directory //servername/users/staff/staffusername/My Lynx If I go to that UNC path I can create folders manually with no problems. I am not sure if this is a problem with Windows 10 and possibly a GPO misconfiguration, or just an issue with Lynx. All other software seems to work OK without any issues.
-
On the new network I am working on something very strange is happening. If I do not turn a machine on for a day or so when I first turn it on it goes straight to the windows logon screen and new GPOs do not get applied. If I then immediately do a reboot upon reboot the new GPOs are getting applied. This is happening to both wired PCs and wireless laptops. Machines are on a very long DHCP lease so are keeping their IP and DNS settings. I am wondering if there is still a rogue GPO setting from Windows 7 somewhere in the AD causing this. If anyone had any ideas what may cause this, please let me know.
-
Salamander looks good but perhaps a bit too pricey for a primary school after all the recent cut backs for what I need to do, and as its a per year cost and not one off to buy outright. Thanks for the suggestions though and keep them coming, as they may also help others looking for the same thing. - - - Updated - - - How did you manage to get NTFSFix to work. As far as I can tell it requires .Net Framework 1.1 and that is not supported on Server 2016.
-
It looks good. Does anyone know the price?
-
I am not sure if anyone can help, as I am having brainfreeze and a I can't remember moment. I used to have some software (it might have been two separate programs) which allowed you to view live registry and file changes (files written to the HDD) as they occurred. Very useful in finding what files software is trying to write to when running it and what keys are updated in the registry when software is first run and licenced. The problem is I used the software so long back I can't remember what it was called, and can't find it or any similar software using google searches. Can anyone help please and suggest some software which does this - preferably freeware.
-
Is the Salamander tool called Salamander School Data Sync. Also does that only support Azure Active Directory, as I am not using Azure. Just normal local server AD.
-
I have the latest 1703 of Windows 10 and the latest version of Adobe Reader DC. On machines this error is appearing: An app default was reset An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge. Does anyone know of a way I can stop Microsoft Edge from hijacking PDF file associations and get it to default to Adobe Reader DC without any issues please?
-
I am trying Classic Shell. I have removed Games Links and Default Programs Links as described in Group Policy Setting of the Week 10 ? Remove Default Programs link from the Start menu in the GPO. However on the Windows 7 Classic Shell start menu these two items are still showing. Is there a GPO setting in the Classic Shell GPO that I can use to remove these two items, or another GPO setting I can use to disable them?
-
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
CommodoreS replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
It would be helpful to see the XML file that was used for the picture of the simple start menu example, to better understand the structure and editing of the XML file. I am not sure if you are legally allowed to post the XML file here please? -
I have built a network using Windows 10 Pro and am wondering if I should have used Windows 10 Education instead. So far the only thing I have found is a GPO setting to disable the windows store which works in Windows 10 Education but not on Windows 10 Pro. By using Windows 10 Pro does anyone please know of anything else like this that I might come up against that might cause a issue down the road?
-
What tools or software are people using on Server 2016 for bulk user creation? Up to now I have been using the WiseSoft Accoutn Management Spreadsheet: Account Management Spreadsheet But its no longer fully working, as its not creating the shares showing the error "Error-, Error setting permissions on work area" like it would if the DLL file had not been registered (which I have registered twice to make sure). I am gussing some kind of Windows Server 2016 security has broken it on 2016 onwards.
-
Automatic Net Framework 3.5 install on Windows 10 1703
CommodoreS replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
Thank you. I also found https://blog.thomasmarcussen.com/installing-net-framework-3-5-with-mdt-2013-the-simple-way/ which I was going to try if OS|DC: MDT 2013 U1: How to Install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 did not work. After spending ages on this it looks like there may be two easy ways of doing this.
