Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DAckroyd

Members
  • Posts

    465
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAckroyd

  1. Hi all... I'm currently being thick and can't think how to work sysprep. I have a Virtual PC 2007 image of XP basic install with all updates, I want this to go onto my WDS server but I'm failing to use sysprep properly. I have a folder C:\sysprep\ and I've run "sysprep /factory" hoping that would allow me to capture the image but it can't see C: (can see c: when looking at cmd mode shift+F10) so I know it's my syspreping at fault. I then resealed it and that didn't work and I've just done it again with /factory and that didn't work again - I've currently waiting capture an image to finish loading to test after a reboot using audit but that's just failed. Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong and if you know a good simple guide to using sysprep for WDS please point me in the direction thanks in advance for your help [just wanted to use these]
  2. try taking it down to 1 server and have it as one range (make sure your subnets are correct) and see if that helps - just disable the old ones in the background
  3. if you start selling you could keep money in the paypal account until you want to buy from ebay and use the funds you have got there rather than keeping it in a school put where it might get knicked?
  4. why do you have 2 DHCP servers rather than 2 ranges on the one server or even just one big range? are the 2 servers attached to the same network as each other and the clients not getting their IP's?
  5. I'm hoping to get the best possible infrastructure in while the building is being put up. at least getting some trunking in place or can they blow fiber through building like BT do down the road?
  6. I've just noted down what it says on the cable (the patch leades look like OM2) CFR-00373 4 core 50/125 int/ext fiberoptic cable 0500/0800 00106 L964 it doesn't say anything about OM? can you tell from that number?
  7. I've looked at my fiber cables and cant see any OM numbers on the cables
  8. basically we want the highest standard of fiber avalible at the time, is OM4 the highest of the moment or is there an OM5/6/7/...? I should be ok if I ask for the OM<4 fiber and 48core to each cab?
  9. I would in part agree with what you are saying but it's the between switch bottle necks that I think we're looking at which when you get to the core switch the traffic can be going to more than just a server... also if you want to start looking at vitualising the/to the desktop then you'll be putting lots more load on the link, also if you're just deploying apps or OS's then you're going to be pushing bandwidth requirements if you want to do it at the same time as others are using the resource. In my opion you want the fastest connections possible as you want to keep end users happy about something and that is getting harder as the days go on.
  10. Any idea how far off 100GbE is as I'd quite like to be ready for that when I get my new school built in a few years time?
  11. you need a high quality of fiber - might be best to get someone into quote (networking specialists) and they should be able to test your current fiber
  12. tis more than I'm on but as network managers jobs go I'm on very low pay.. a grammar school will genrally have more cash avalible and I would expect technicians to be getting close to that soon
  13. what system are you running: server 2003 (R2) or 2008? Have you looked at the print server role/feature?
  14. are you using exchange? or some other email system? you may find that you can set groups where you can allow sending to some areas and not others. alturnatively you could look at delaying how long it takes to recive messages sent between students... if it isn't instant then they may get bored using it and switch to facebook chat instead via proxy sites
  15. We currently use Webmarshal 3.5.2.16 as a way of turning the internet on and off in classrooms. This is a manual process and teachers have to ask before the morning if they want internet turned on for their lessons. With this being a manual process and we get called out to do work around the place we've started getting people compalining because the internet was either on when they wanted it off or off when they wanted it on. My question to the intelligent people (and the not-so-intelligent) people of the eduGeek forums is: If we upgrade to Webmarshal 6.1.7.4636 will we gain the ability to scedual this sort of task, and are there any other advantages to this? OR: are there free/better alternatives which can be used to turn the internet on/off for rooms/groups of computers? Thank you in advance for your wizdom and knowlage.
  16. I would personally work on the theory that RM is a good no-go area
  17. that server looks the same but cheaper
  18. buy 2 slice up the case of one of them and fit them in together?
  19. with a bit more ram it would be a good test bed for anyone wanting to try out Hyper-V or ESXi for virtualisation
  20. it was bucks and some of the problems were caused by it being bought through county (problem you get when ICT co-ordernators exist). they wanted results from diagnostics test sending over and because it would back up the first 6MB or so the diags said it worked so dell said it worked it wasn't actually me who was dealing with this one and I have had fairly good responce when getting laptops delt with (the engineer once dropped the laptop when working on it and tried to get away without replacing the casing but got that sorted also
  21. You have better experiance of Dell with servers that I've seen in the past... brand new server and the tape drive doesn't work - after months of having to run a cleaner tape 6 times through it and reboot to get something backed up we ended up paying for a new tape drive ourselves.... it was only the the SIM's server so nothing important
  22. I've had that problem before when the webfiltering has had "images" set as a banned catergory
  23. if you have an old server laying around put WSUS onto that with either PrintServer or DHCP should offer nice load balance - it's more the network traffic you will be spilting on a network this size. Was this your only server that died or did you have a second AD server already? I would always recommend having a second AD if thats all you have. you might actaully want to look at having 2 DC's and use shared storage for user data?
  24. with all those roles and features running I would personally get a couple of servers and split them out - you'll proberbly find a good preformance increase (I have most of those services running on different servers)
  25. I had a sales email from ebuyer earlier which had an HP ProLiant ML115 G5 server: Quad core AMD, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA HDD for 199.99 inc VAT that may do the trick with a little upgrading on the RAM and a couple of HDD's to stick in RAID for System Drive
×
×
  • Create New...