Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DAckroyd

Members
  • Posts

    465
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAckroyd

  1. I Love this SpiceWorks - gives you so much info... haven't yet got great details on what software is about as it's saying 6 copies of office are install on 160 computers but it's doing a second scan atm so hopefully more info to come
  2. I'm working on putting a properly managed network in in the background but need to keep the limping until new one ready to impliment. currently no software is installed using AD through MSI's - all installed onto a hard disk and cloned
  3. please can someone suggest some FREE software that can scan the computers on my network and see what software is installed and tell me how many copies are on the network etc? Need details of all software on network and relating documents by the end of today:confused:
  4. for SIMS to work on anything is a mirical
  5. ok the time it took me to reply to that makes it look like I don't have anything to do now
  6. If you're bored... plenty to do here if you want to pop half way across the country?
  7. ahh... didn't spot it was a primary
  8. if you are looking at changing all your switches it may be worth costing up ones that are 10GBe compatible and checking to see if your fibre will take it - kits dropping in price and may save you a future upgrade
  9. thanks for the help! I went with manually setting it in the end - easiest way
  10. does anyone know how to set the clock on an HP 4108gl? it's currently saying it's Jan 1990 so might be slightly wrong?
  11. Win 7 hasn't preformed great on my VM but that is probly cos I have no graphical acceleration - works very well on my laptop though
  12. Sorry - False alarm on this one... Problem is with the Zip Drive using a IDE to SATA convertor
  13. I'd read the artical on PCPro last week but hadn't looked at the list until today... Something they are still missing which should easily be possible is in the networking section, the ability to set the proxy for the network location so if you take your laptop home from work it turns off the proxy and put it on again when you get back to work would really help. How hard can it be? Am I the only one who has posted this request to MS? Appart from that, I have no niggles and problems with Win7 ad want the RC to install asap so I can get ready for full roll out ASAP (skipping Vista - not cos I didn't like it but cos machines are too old to run it and Win7 is due for the same point I'd be able to do upgrades anyway) When does everyone plan to do their upgrades to Win7?
  14. Don't put yourself down.... I'm sure you are still better than public transport bosses
  15. I've been playing openTTD for a couple of years - it's great. In my younger years I play the origional for years and OpenTTD brought back the love! I have found that you need a very big monitor (my 20" is a little small at times) and a pretty quick computer if you want to have the very big maps. I have made my over clocked quad core Q6600 run slow at times with this
  16. Does anyone know if there is a known problem with using a zip drive from a local computer for a remote desktop connection (set with mapping physical drives into the remote desktop connection session)? I've just copied a computer to be a VM so we could replace the physical computer and we've had to move the Zip drive across into the new one. when connected via MSTSC, if you try copying files from the VM to the Zip drive the physical machine crashes.
  17. the server is flashed and still works so hopully this will have done the trick
  18. I'd have thought tempory ban and stop them using memory sticks but it should be an SLT/SMT policy
  19. I have a host server running VMware ESX3.5 which needs a bios update. it's running on an HP DL380 G5 and I have the file "cp010156.scexe" I don't know how to run this file so any help would be great (google hasn't come back with anything useful nor has HP website or VMware site) Thanks, Dave
  20. as the point of uping the power usage for doubing up of kit has come up, I was just wondering if that would come in as an issue over the road with you in KesTowers or are you better off with your power supply that we are at FaultyTowers here?
  21. the problem comes when you take the image of the active directory back to a time that isn't current and you loose connection to the other DC's through the secure link through which the servers communicate - the same happens if the clocks set themselves to different times on your servers
  22. how did that happen!?! there are multiple screws and bits and bobs popping out of the rail kits and they lock to the required lenght. I can't remember what I was racking a while back (think it was a 2U server the county provide for our proxy) but it's racking kit isn't, well, it's not upto the quality of some... well it's basically pants as a server racking device. anyway I wanted it some way up the cabinet and I was on my own so (it's not the lightest of devices) I had a load of boxes that had hard disks come in, I proped them under the server to lift it to the required point... worked, not quite a treat, but got the job done
  23. 1) Always go for more than 1 server when virtualising and have redundant links in place to your network and to your SAN (and the SAN should be dual controllered or similar) 2) Licening with windows server 2008 is very cheap when virtualising: standard edition comes with 1 physical licence and 1 VM, (per host) enterprise edition comes with 1 physical and 4 VM's, (Per host) Datacenter edition comes with 1 physical and UNLIMITED VM's, (Per CPU) 3)Exchange 2007 uses alot less resouces than 2003 and other previous versions of exchange (also in a virtualised enviroment you can easily split exchange roles between servers if you so wish to increase preformance where nessersary (normally only required for thousands of accounts or if you wants your external face of exchange seperate for security reasons) 4) if you aren't completely sure what you want to get, have a few companies come in and give you an assessment (as you're in the north I know a good company that may be local to you - I'll try and work out how to PM you their details)
  24. It's always worth looking at something abit more than what you need currently as you'll almost certainly want to take most servers across (or use it to develop new servers) when you see how well it works. A SAN will be your main cost when purchasing the kit and it will also be the hardest thing to change easliy. when dealing with VM-Servers you can add a new physical box or change phyical boxes with relitive ease so long as your server images are stored on the SAN/Shared storage and not the local hosts. I have started a wiki on this site that should hopefully cover the essentials for virtualisation - can anyone with virtualisation expirence (or good spelling) edit this page to help make it "The Ultimate Schools Virtualisation Guide"
×
×
  • Create New...