Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DAckroyd

Members
  • Posts

    465
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAckroyd

  1. the best thing would be for that sort of situation is give them a desktop in their classrooms and they can take the NC10 around with them and use it for admin stuff at the same time as they are displaying work for the students from the desktop
  2. I would normally go with HP for most things but I wouldn't go with them for their netbooks because of the mouse buttons - the battery and Via CPU are also things that would put me off them
  3. NC10 gets good reviews - NC20 not using the Atom so may be slower - also saw a Dell mini something at bett running Win7 enterprise - seems nice - wouldn't go with the 7" eee pc as screen is a bit small but my wife finds it fine (she's just iritated with linux and going to put WinXP on it)
  4. The best one I have seen is someone moved the "Insert" key and then along the line after wrote "P" "E" "N" "I" "S" - particualy good use of additional keys without going beond his own keyboard unfortunately I can't find the photo on my phone
  5. If it's a new laptop send it back and ask for a replacement or your money back and get a better make. We had a novatec laptop brand new out the box and had motherboard fault and were meant to get a new laptop in exchange but ended up with the same one but mobo changed. genrally if you have a laptop playing up from new then it's likely to forever be a problem - to help things move on remind them there are other options on where to buy from - shame that when you find really good suppliers then end up with the office exploding - still plenty of other places to buy
  6. Lets hope no students are going to watch the news or it might catch on
  7. Why has Edu-Geek not made it a bank holiday?!?!
  8. if you are planning to get new servers in the summer it might be worth getting a cheap server like the HP one that was £95 and just transfer tape drive across and then you aren't going to rush a desision on what server you want in the long run... are you primary or seconday? if secondary then for the summer server upgrades you should be looking strongly at virtual servers
  9. it's in the pipeline - got a brand new 2k8 domain in the building (will need to upgrade to R2 in the summer once it's been released properly) then I can re-image all machine with either WinXP or Win7. the only problem at the moment is I've been doing most of the work at home in the evenings but as I'm only on a 3G dongle and the school aren't allowed to provide me with a 3G connection for work purposes I can't work on that atm. if only IT offices were in a place people can't find or phone to - life would be wonderful
  10. I would love to both get rid of winsuite and make an image without winsuite (which I actually have) but when I make an image without winsuite I can't install winsuite as the servers buggered and fixing it could bugger the system more [ref# WinSuite Help Please]
  11. Geoff (or others)... I've got a problem where the I've changed over the bursars computer and the new one has a gigabit NIC, the old one only had 10/100, the network speed ran fine for the first couple of weeks but then suddenly went onto go slow - could bad cabling be an issue and if so If I make a patch lead and only connect 4 cables to force 10/100 would that help? If so what pins need connecting? Thanks, Dave
  12. I think it might be winsuite causing problems - at first I thought it might be that it was XP SP1 on the image but then I updated to SP2 (and didn't work) then SP3 (ditto). the PE enviroment sees the HDD (through the CMD window) but doesn't give the option of C:\ on the dropdown list
  13. I'm unable to make a wim file from some a computer, I can't get DOS/NDIS2 drivers for the ghost disk. I am able to take an image onto a second HDD and copy onto the WDS server (I currently have .ghs files - tried putting onto a DVD but can't see the DVD drive from Ghost). I have seen via google that you can deploy ghost images through WDS but I can't see how - can anyone help please? Thanks, Dave
  14. Does this being ejectable mean that it doesn't assign drive letters until needed? how likely is the removable bit likely to be if put in someones office - or possibly worse - a classroom? Do other people find that card readers in desktops assign letters all the time but laptop ones leave it until something is inserted? is there a way to combat this cos they always take out the H:\ drive
  15. ditto to above
  16. Need one of them in my office!
  17. Just tried creating a page on LP Plus and almost screwed the whole thing up - trying this one from ben but the freeware version I hope these things save time in the end cos I guess it's going to take a while to get it running
  18. Is this your work machine?!?! how do you find XP64 for driver support?
  19. This post is manly for west norfolk schools but anyone with LP Plus may be able to help: I'm needing to impliment a help desk sort of thing to manage work - is there something within LP Plus that is already setup which allows job logging and assigning and managing tasks? If there isn't anything, what are other people using (would almost certainly have to be free or extreamly cheap)? Thanks
  20. the more powerful machine I use is a Core2Extreame laptop with 4 GB ram and 8 series graphics card 17" running windows 7 my other machine is a 15" laptop with a second screen attached but that's not a great spec I would suggest looking at the new Xeon workstations (always a good point to work down from) or aim for a couple of computers. dual/tripple screen is very useful epsially if you need to RDP into lots of servers and want pages up for reference - also a while back misco had a 28" monitor (hannsG iifc) for just under £200 so 3 of them would be good. it all depends on what you are doing though - if you run Virtual PC then you'll need lots more RAM and better CPU - If you run it as a thin client then you can get away with something of the spec of an eeePC
  21. If anyone is using a school.norfolk.sch.uk address for their logon to here and normally get auto emails about subscribed theads please can you let me know if county have started blocking them or weather I have something wrong at this end? I think they are blocking emails from my wife but they will come though when she replies to one I send to her first
  22. put in the over time claim and see what they say - if they complain leave them with a system not working for a week of term time next time
  23. working Sundays oftern means double time - if that is the case it can't be too bad?
  24. Does county block everyone from downloading from iPlayer? I'm currently stuck downloading the F1 on home ADSL line which is slow (last 2 races have taken 5 days for Auz and 4 days for Malysia to download) they are also only avalible for a week after being uploaded to the BBC server so I get a day to watch if I have time
×
×
  • Create New...