Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DAckroyd

Members
  • Posts

    465
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAckroyd

  1. looks good but would be a pain to commute!
  2. disconnect network cable and turn off wireless and logon to check to see if it comes up with any massages a teacher would click to break the machine
  3. add a local user as it's probly disabling the network shares when logged on at home so by having a different user (with shared storeage) they should be ok
  4. I can see they want to do lots of artistic things cos it's what they were trained in and enjoy doing but there has to be some praticality in it somewhere - I know of primary schools being built with so much glass without opening windows or air con they they had to close the school to be redone just after opening - I'm sure lots of people do want fancy stuff but at time a brick box with windows that open will do nicely too.
  5. I quite like the idea of cutting out parking spaces and getting people walking/using public transport (if they are willing to improve public transport to the areas) as this is Building Schools for the Future should they not look at what requirements are likely to be 5-10 years down the line not what they expect in the first year of opening?
  6. NSOptimum... please stop sending emails every 5mins - I try adding them to junk email folder and they then send from another address I have been advised on many occasions not to go near NSO and I know other Network Managers are getting this level of spam from them also
  7. being taught how to word process is a primary/pre-school thing - they would probly be able to do the GCSE in IT in year 5/6 now
  8. Why are they still putting in computer rooms? - you want a couple at most but the subject IT should go and all classrooms should have a class worth of computers round the edge so you can just go and use computers when required and no worry about booking IT rooms and stuff - you could also have computers designed to work with the subjects that use the rooms (ie english would only need an eeeBox but media would require Core i7's for video editing and stuff)
  9. it is here! - couple of weeks back we removed a hub from a switch cabenet
  10. Scott adams put it best when he wote this: [Dilbert] Why does it seem as if most of the decisions in my workplace are made be drunken lemurs? [bin man] Decisions are made by people who have time not people who have talent. [Dilbert] Why are talented people so busy? [bin man] They're fixing the problems made by the people who have time.
  11. I'm having to run a 2003 server - I have 2k8 ready but not working (unless I deleted it)
  12. it's not the server end that's unsupported - the tests wouldn't download to the workstations even though they have been avalible scince monday - why do they not just scrap it already? Has anyone been sucessful with the ELBS GCSE's on the computer?
  13. Todays test was unsucessful - will it ever work?
  14. We have a Kyocera FS-c8008c down in our DT dept but we're having problems with the drivers. We run a print server and normally everything goes through that. that still works fine. We have recently upgraded the computers in one of the classrooms but we can't get the printer to come up for all the users through the print server. We have however managed to get it to print directly, but this is where the head against brick wall starts. I have looked at the properties of the printer for going directly to the printer and the properties on the print server and all settings are exactly the same. however when we print from the new computers it sends it through on manual feed and when it goes though from the print server it's fine - any ideas as continual banging of head against wall is going to hurt and may disturb classes (may also be of help: we're running windows XP on the workstations with WinSuite2000 to interfear and the print server is Windows2003) Thanks for the help
  15. have you thought about running Virtual PC on some of your better computers and installing a stand alone Windows 98 with no network connection and then if anything happens you just restore the backup?
  16. I don't understand why it shouldn't work on server 2008 - what is so different?
  17. no wonder you forgot it... ours is 1234 - I hope to one day remember that
  18. so what is the password - write it down here and we can all remember it for you
  19. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!!!!! I've got 2K8 installed and that won't upgrade cos of a problem with a file - I'll try downloading again, then I'll find a brick wall EDIT: I've downloaded again and tried with that to upgrade Server 2k8 to 2k8R2 and get the following message:
  20. bit-tech.net | Intel demos Nehalem-EX octal-core CPU The machine they have in the background on the video is insaine! I want one of these machines with 128 processing threads (64 physical cores!) playing with VM's would be more Fun than normal
  21. I thought I may have cracked it... Didn't - what I had done was on the virtual center server I mounted the ISO and then set the VM to look at the D:\ drive on VCenter to boot from - still get same message - going to install virtual pc onto a VM and then install server 2k8R2 onto that then P2V (if you haven't already guessed the VHD idea didn't work either) Update: Now deploying a 2008 server and then going to try upgrading to R2... this is getting irritating - glade I'm doing this during the holidays otherwise with interuptions every few mins it would take forever!/never get done
  22. I'm now downloading the VHD of it and hope to somehow convert that to what VMware would like
  23. I'm possibly being stupid, infact that is more than likely, but I'm trying to build a Server 2008 R2 RC server on my ESX boxes but get the following message about drivers. I have lots of server 2008 machines running and they install with no problems but this message apears I have tried loading the floppy disk image that I need for XP but that doesn't work - any ideas? Thanks, Dave
  24. I have a work experience person in atm so I don't have to put the coffee on overly often
×
×
  • Create New...