DAckroyd
Members-
Posts
465 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by DAckroyd
-
I'm just installing an Administrator tool pack atm - I'm trying the one for server 2003 as I can't find a 2008 tool pack for running on XP
-
Hi all - I've been searching the net and given up to suck the knowlage from your brains instead... I have a 2008 domin and I have set delegate rights on the students User OU for a group which will be able to reset password for the students and do nothing more... I have followed instructions in doing this and they always stop when you have setup the delegation... it's the next bit where I get stuck... How do I make it so a teacher in the password reset group can reset the passwords? I have on a workstation opened mmc.exe and couldn't work out how to link the domain users as an object. I have on one of the servers set up the mmc but then when I saved it and ran it on a workstation it was no longer able to see into the active directory. Am I doing something completely stupid or just not finding the required instructions? any help would be greatfully received, Thanks, Dave
-
me thinks it's that time of the week to look for a new mobo, cpu and ram (and probly a PSU)
-
Sorry I can't read that properly with an avitar of Quagmire next to it - just needs a "giggidy giggidy" at the end
-
I'm after trying Hyper-V Server R2 (the free one) and as I don't have any spare PC's at home which are 64bit and with VT or whatever hardware it requires I was wondering if I could create a VM in Virtual PC (or VMware player or some kind of destop virtualisation product) and install and play on that?
-
was it traveling at 88 miles per hour?
-
Put some SSD's into it and then defrag won't matter
-
can you get the the server by name once logged on (ie \\servername\share$) if not try \\IP\share$ if ip works and name doesn't then you may have dns issues
-
I do have it on a piece of paper in from of me so that might be classed as cheating
-
run RSOP.msc on a workstation as a user who is having problems and see if there is a confilict
-
you can tell it to not log on with a tempory profile (Under computer, policies, admin templates, system, user profiles)
-
there is on server 2008 cos I ticked it the other day... Computer Config >Policies >>Admin Templates >>>System >>>>Logon : Always wait for the network at completer start up and logon
-
Sharing VMDK's between VM servers
DAckroyd replied to DAckroyd's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I don't have much worry about disk space - is there a way that I can set VMware to copy the VMDK and keep it upto date/syncronised?? -
Creating a VM using vmdk files etc
DAckroyd replied to m1ddy's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
once you get the VMDK files onto the datastore then you can right click on a host and create a new Virual Machine and when it asks about the drive use an existing drive and select the ones you just uploaded then they should just boot Also: If you always use the ISO to install the server then look at making templates and deploying from them - you'll save hours -
how old is the server? has it reached a point where you can say it needs an upgrade or where you can upgrade another server and move the old server into the DL140's place?
-
Sharing VMDK's between VM servers
DAckroyd replied to DAckroyd's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
you are spot on... it's the data drives not the OS drive i have 2 VM's atm, created a small data drive and have tried connecting vm2 to vm1's data drive - wouldnt do it turned on so turned off the vm with the data drive and tried connecting again. i have just rebooted the vm trying to get the data drive and it's come up. just had to activate drive and assign letter. i will now attempt to boot the other vm at the same time hope that makes sense //update\\ cannot power on: Unable to access a file sinse it is locked -
I don't suppose you have a second one of these machines around do you? if so it might be worth swaping the hdd's between them and see if the problems move
-
I thought you were meant to touch metal before starting not wood? haven't used an anti-static strap but I think I would if I was working on somthing very expesive (I didn't use one when peicing together our servers so would have to be something very expesive) I think common sence comes into play with this... ie no making balloon animals before working on a computer
-
I think the only question that needs asking there is why are you still running 3.1?
-
that sounds like a very odd problem... are all other componants working fine still and it's just the motherboard/ram that bring the problems?
-
Sharing VMDK's between VM servers
DAckroyd replied to DAckroyd's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
thanks tmcd... I will look for instructions for it and try it on a couple of test machines before trying it with a live server and one of them -
Sharing VMDK's between VM servers
DAckroyd replied to DAckroyd's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I have the server on a septerate vSwitch to keep it from seeing the old server - havng to set up identialy and don't want to cause problems -
I was thinking this but it can see that there is 4GB there so the bios/chipset must be set right or it would just show as 3GB or somthing
-
have you got your motherboard drivers and other drivers on the machine ok cos that Experiance Index looks very low for a computer with 4GB of ram and a 3GHz CPU
-
Sharing VMDK's between VM servers
DAckroyd replied to DAckroyd's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
thanks, I was hoping that I could just attach the data drive but I'll just have to copy the data over when the time comes to kill the old box off
