Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DAckroyd

Members
  • Posts

    465
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAckroyd

  1. I feel like I'm on a roundabout here... I think the DFS on a workgoup machine has some potential but I'm just struggling with the older domain... I thought I'd see what Windows Server Backup had to offer... anyway, moving on. I've searched the internet for some kind of powershell script thing but no joy but if someone has something for the job in their pocket then that would be nice please other option is 3rd party products so if anyone know of anything, please say Thanks, Dave
  2. from first impressions it's not going to conqure the desktop or every day use market - only place to contend is netbooks and that's only of use there if you have a 3G built in.
  3. there must be a way to log in locally?
  4. I don't think google have thought that far or they don't see a need for proxies as it's an os which is effectively out on the cloud
  5. Installed Virtualbox and I'm at the login screen...
  6. Showoff!
  7. have you got a proxy?
  8. Possible BINGO! here... Built a 2k8 server on a workgroup and using it as an inbetween computer
  9. didn't save the name change as id's done it within the datastore browser - name changed in explorer and re-uploaded. Still nout showing in that folder
  10. Of course I did - I have even tried renaming it so it doesn't have .'s in the middle of the file name - still nout
  11. I've got it downloaded and onto our SAN but I can't attach it as an existing disk as it doesn't show as an avalible VMDK
  12. I did look into DFS Namespace but I didn't see much need as the servers are VM's so wouldn't offer much as far as I can see...
  13. thanks, got the VMware downloading now - would hit thanks but the button isn't there for some reason
  14. thanks altecsole, is there any way of keeping 2 shares synced with eachother? syncing works as backup if a server goes down and tape setup to backup old servers so can leave going until new domain fully deployed
  15. please can you post on here to save everyone having to sign up?
  16. + ICT_GUY
  17. Hi all, In my move to a new domain I have reached the point of wanting to have users data on my new servers... I was thinking: If I setup DFS on my new servers can I get it to keep the documents n*Sync while we're in the transfer process, also meaning that I wouldn't have to change what's happening with backups as all files would be on both servers (backup in it's self) and goto tape from the old domain. Hope this is making sense... If this would work for setting up DFS then do I need to install DFS on both servers (source and destination)? Thanks for your help
  18. I was there for that - was brilliant! was standing at the fence when Ham did his lap and got some great pictures until batteries ran down. Shame Button couldn't make it
  19. That was cool! It's been a great series but they are leaving a huge gap to the next one aren't they?
  20. May the best brit win (button) - if mclaren can get their car in gear then we could have another brittish world champion - hopefully a double world champion
  21. So I went for it, it creates GPO's for baseline security settings and then you apply the GPO's to the OU's for the relivant roled servers... however make sure that you are only applying a policy for a spercific role to a server that only uses that spercific role - if it has extras running on it then that could cause problems elsewhere (ie licence dongle would be blocked on the port that uses - I th5n2 that's what caused my problem just now:()
  22. all that requires is a "Sorry I have too many passwords also and I can't remember the one required for changing passwords"
  23. it would be true that because he has forgotten his password that the password his is using isn't working - what he was required to say was "please can you reset me password, thank you"
  24. have upped it to 2003 - will properly read over this doc later and see about raising to 2008 - thanks Bio
  25. to avoid the fruit you could look at the Dell Zino or Zeno HD -alot cheaper- you could get a pear or the price of an apple (sorry!)
×
×
  • Create New...