Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

OverWorked

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,374
  • Joined

Everything posted by OverWorked

  1. Thanks. I've also tried an old-style e-ink Kindle. I couldn't get it to work though a proxy (which was actually a good thing). I think the best path will be dedicated e-readers. I think the person concerned was just wedded to the idea of tablets. Thanks everyone.
  2. I've been tasked with setting up tablets to use as e-readers in the Library. I'd really like to hear from anyone who's done this. We at the very early stages. Brief outline is:- 1) should be cheap. We're a small school with limited budget. 2) The only intended use is as e-readers 3) should be some way of locking them down to stop mischief There are some very cheap Android tablets out there. I've tried one, created a Google account and downloaded free e-reader apps from Google Play. That's about as far as I got. Has anyone else tried tablets as e-readers? Any advice appreciated (even if it's "don't do it").
  3. I've just had the same issue. I'm not at all familiar with MySQL so had me stuck for a while. My solution was to use the MySQL workbench to import the moodle schema from the backup sql file (had to create a moodle schema to restore to). Recreate the moodleuser account and just gave it full DBA privileges (I don't know what it's supposed to have, but I'll correct that later). It looks like you may have tried all this, so sorry if this doesn't help.
  4. I recently got wpad.dat auto configuration working with a bit of frustration. I used DNS, not DHCP. Create a DNS entry WPAD, pointing to the WPAD.DAT server. (CNAME or A record will do). In server 2008 and 2012, WDAD DNS lookups are refused as a security measure, so you'll need to enable them. See Removing WPAD from DNS block list(this bit was a lot of frustration). (I spent ages trying to get proxy.pac to work, but got nowhere). Let me know if you need more help.
  5. Thanks everyone. I think that for our purposes I'll get the small laptops, rather than tablets.
  6. Is anyone using SIMS on Windows tablets? How practical is it? I've been asked to get prices for mobile devices for all our LSAs to use with SIMS for taking registers. The teacher concerned wants small laptops, not tablets (because that's what they're used to). I'd like them to at least consider tablets as I think the LSAs would like them more than laptops. Any shared experiences welcome. Thanks.
  7. pete, Thanks. I've had a look but I don't think that applies to Office 365. I'm not familiar with Exchange, but I guess it's a lot more flexible and powerful in that way.
  8. Replying to my own threads again... I've got the solution. In the group properties, delivery management, add the groups allowed to send to that group. Tis works for group and individuals. I still don't understand why mail flow rules didn't work, but anyway the solution is delivery management, not mail flow rules.
  9. Is there a way to stop members of certain groups sending to distribution groups? Pupils are bulk emailing whole year groups with junk. Pupils are members of distribution groups Year7, year8 etc... I'm experimenting with mail flow rules. I've created a rule that says "If the sender is a member of... and the recipient is this person ... then reject the message". This only blocks the message if the recipient is an individual person. It does not trigger if I specify the group name. It also doesn't trigger if I specify the recipient containing certain text or matching text patterns (the group email address) with wildcards. Does anyone have a solution to this? I can't be the only person. Thanks.
  10. I've just read that windows 8.1 Update 1 has been withdrawn from WSUS because it can stop connecting with WSUS over SSL Windows 8.1 Update (KB 2919355) prevents interaction with WSUS 3.2 over SSL - WSUS Product Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs Shame, I was looking forward to that this morning.
  11. I've tried that. I've allowed gstatic.com/generate_204 and clients3.google.com to bypass auth in Smoothwall, as per dave.81's suggestion. Still staring at the "Network is not available"
  12. I've got a similar problem. The Chromebook needs a browser to auth with Ruckus and Smoothwall, but won't display the browser until it's signed in. It can't sign in because it can't auth with Smoothwall. We have BYOD set up so that browsers on devices auth with ruckus , then get forwarded to Smoothwall SSL. Chromebook will not display a browser until it's signed in so it's stuck. I can skip sign in and browse as guest, which makes it pretty useless. There must be a way round this.
  13. Glad it's working. I didn't write the script - I found it somewhere else (I can't remember - Technet probably). 1. Also the file paths must not have spaces in them and putting quotes around them doesn't work. You may have to create a share with no spaces in it's path. 3. Got me confused for a while. I sometimes open Resource Monitor so I can see from a distance when it's finished and gone quiet. Or look in the log files folder. 4. It depends on the options created in the Office Customisation Tool. I set mine to uninstall previous versions, but sometimes it leaves traces of Office 2010 with differing effects.
  14. @skay: I don't know why it wouldn't run the installation whebn started from a startup script. If you've used the OCT to set it to do a silent installation there won't be any indication that it's running. Have you logged on and opened task manager for all users? There should be setup.exe or TrustedInstaller running. The install can take 10-20 minutes. @fch7227: if you're running it manually, you could add echo %computername% to it. If it's running as a startup script, then you won't see anything. I also add wuauclt /detectnow to the end of it to speed up detecting updates from WSUS.
  15. Update: I sorted mine out by installing Win 7 + Powerpoint 2013 on them. I have registry edits and logon scripts so it auto logs on with a domain user account and just runs a powerpoint slideshow. I'd been wrestling with the Samsung MagicInfo software for years and never got the hang of it. There was no way I could have trained the staff to use it. I had to replace the Flash Module with a larger one (Integral IDE 40 Pin Horizontal 32GB Flash Module (MLC)), which was easier than fitting a disk drive.
  16. I installed Scoris Assessor a few months ago without this problem. I *think* it was on a Windows 7 x86 at the time. This time it's on x64 - maybe that's relevant. I've made the teacher a member of the local admins group as a workaround for now. I'm not going to experiment with it.
  17. I've got exactly the same problem. It's not unique to you. I've given users full access to the Scoris installation folder, but it's made no difference. The scoris .exe may be trying to write to a system folder.
  18. Hello, I'm currently in North Yorks, but have an interview for a job in the Leeds LA soon. One of my main concerns is moving to another LA. I don't know anyone in the Leeds LA and don't know much about it. What is it like to work as an ICT Manager in the Leeds LA, regarding things like backup tech support, social networking of ICT Managers, Internet provision, any connection with Leeds Uni? Feel free to PM, or post here. Thanks for anything.
  19. Thanks. I fixed it eventually. It was related to my Windows account not having access to the SQL database after the upgrade. Had to apply solutions from 2 KB articles on Sophos website. SEC 5.2 and WSUS 3.2 running happily on same server again.
  20. Having said that... My attempt to upgrade Sophos EC 5.0 to 5.2 just failed (installation succeeds but the Sophos EC service won't start. Possibly because Sophos uses SQL server 2008 and WSUS is using SQL Server 2012, both installed on the same server. I think I'm going to have to separate them - move Sophos EC to it's own server.
  21. Michael's method worked for me (Win7 x86). The GPP copied the file and created the reg keys, but I had to restart the machine to actually make the font appear ni the fonts folder. Can you see the installed fonts if you open wordpad? My example for an OpenType font:- Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Key Path: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts Value name: OpenDyslexic-Regular (OpenType) Value type: REG_SZ Value data: OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf Source file(s): \\SERVER\Share\OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf Destination File: %WinDir%\Fonts\OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
  22. Another yes! I have a Hyper-V guest running Server 2008 R2, WSUS, Sophos EC, WDS and KMS. I give it dynamic memory and it takes about 3GB. WDS runs at an OK speed as well.
  23. I am now going down the same route, but the 4GB limit of the built-in flash drive is limiting especially with a powerpoint slideshow containing an 350MB video. I'm assuming that to install Win 7 + Powerpoint you had to replace the drive. Is this right? Or did you find a way to cut the size down to squeeze it in?
  24. That's great! So I can just cover the servers I need upgrading to 2012. I have a few legacy servers running 2003 that aren't worth spending time and money on.
×
×
  • Create New...