Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

OverWorked

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,374
  • Joined

Everything posted by OverWorked

  1. In my experience, the automatic updater says it fails first time every time. On the second attempt it succeeds and asks for a restart. One the third the test application runs.
  2. Solved it. I allowed traffic to the WJEC domain to bypass authentication.
  3. I keep getting "connection failed". I've added firewall (Smoothwall) rules to allow all and do not inspect SSL. I've set up a dedicated account for it to authenticate and also tried my own and the domain admin's credentials. The frustrating thing is that it did connect once this morning (out of about 50 attempts).
  4. It is (easily) possible to use IPv4 and a single IP address on Server 2012 R2, despite the confusing statement above. I got past this stage and almost got it working. I got the a stage where DirectAccess would work from inside the LAN (create a DNS record for the external address, and switch the NLS server off). I could not get clients to connect from outside. I never found out why. I'll be moving to another job soon, so I dropped the project rather than leave it for someone else to pick up. I recommend you go ahead with it with single v4 IP. It should work.
  5. I was wrong about that - both editions can have updates managed by WSUS.
  6. There's this post from @Arthur http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/153717-microsoft-announces-windows-10-editions-3.html#post1339834 According that that, there's virtually no difference between the Edu and Ent editions apart from the Long Term Service Branch (LTSB), which I think means that updates are managed and deployed via WSUS and not automatically. Understanding the Long Term Servicing Branch and Current Branch in Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro I've just had a quick look at Ent and Edu editions. The main deference that I can see is the lack of unnecessary bumf on the Start Screen on the Enterprise Edition. The Education Edition has XBox, News, Money etc., whereas the Enterprise Edition none of that. Both Education and enterprise Editions have "Start Screen Control with Group Policy", though I've yet to look into that. Given the amount of inappropriate content that some Bing app tiles have shown recently (the Health app showing "10 most dangerous sex positions"), I would choose any version of Windows that didn't have these by default. Though I see the Health and Food apps (the two biggest offenders) are no longer installed by default. I would choose Enterprise Edition for a school.
  7. Rich, Yep - that's exactly what I was trying to avoid. Someone here bought a few Kindles without me knowing. I wasted an hour or two trying to connect one to the network before deciding that it's just impossible. That was 6 month ago and they're still trying to sell them to the staff (unused and boxed).
  8. As I understand it, e-books bought through Amazon are licensed for the user only. They don't have any license agreement (outside the US, yet) for school or organisation buying in bulk for multiple users.
  9. Insight - my preferred supplier for this kind of thing.
  10. I've just ordered 4 10" Linx tablets edu bundle at a very low price. If they don't work out as e-readers, we can do something else with them. Thanks - I was about to give up with this project. Before today, my advice to the librarian was to forget it - now she's getting these.
  11. Thanks LeMarchand. I've had a quick look at the Ubuntu site. Is there a central management utility for these?
  12. @JJonas: Exactly - I think the plan was to just get something now and get the e-books in the unlikely event of funding coming later. In the meantime the e-readers stay in their boxes, or get free classics put on them and I spend many hours of fun manually managing them.
  13. It's only a small amount of money (not enough for even one Windows or Apple tablet) and we can't use it for the e-books - it has to be for e-reader hardware. Personally I can see this being a complete waste of time and money
  14. Hello, We've given money to buy e-readers (but no money for the e-books). We have to spend the money on e-reader hardware by 31-March. I looked into e-readers recently and concluded that they're just unmanageable. I feel I'm being forced into a corner and will end up with a white-elephant project - a stack of unused e-readers and a lot of grief for me and the librarian. I've ruled out Kindle because of the license. I don't know enough about Nook or Kobo. If you had to buy e-readers, what would you buy? I'd like to hear from anyone who's successfully using them in school. Thanks.
  15. I've been working on MCSA 2012 for about 2 years (on and off, mostly off). AFAIK they got updated to Server 2012 R2 in January 2014. I passed the 410 and 411 on the older non-R2. I failed 412 narrowly twice on 2012 (650 points). It got upgraded to 2012 R2 and I failed it again with a lower score in January 2014. I studied hard for 412 recently and failed it again today with an even lower score. Either they're making the questions harder and more obscure or I'm getting thicker. Whatever books or videos you get, make sure they're the 2012 R2 versions. I can't recommend anything now for the 410 and 411 because everything I used was for the 2012 non-R2 and obsolete now. I used:- Exam Ref (70-410): Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012, Craig Zacker (must have been good because I passed first time - I don't know if there's a 2012 R2 edition). 70-411 Training Guide: Administering Windows Server 2012 (Training Guides), Thomas, Orin. (good - I passed 2nd time) Exam 70-412 Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series), Microsoft Official Academic Course (*terrible*, I thought - very dry and full of errors) Right now I using:- Pluralsight - They now have a good set of videos for 2012 R2 by Greg Shields released only recently in Nov 2014. Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 R2 Services, JC Mackin and Orin Thomas (also good), published March 2014. Having said all that, I bombed on the 70-412 today. There were questions about obscure error messages, one about IPv6 prefixes (not fair I think), and a lot about PowerShell commands. Make sure you know the PowerShell way of doing everything.
  16. We've just received a load of pdf books to distribute to the students. We have site license, so don't need to control use. Is there a decent way of issuing books to student through Moodle, other than just adding them to a course? I administer our Moodle and it's web server, but I don' actually "use" Moodle, so I'm not too familiar with it. Thanks.
  17. Has anyone got a solution to this yet? Any way of blocking the app without disrupting legitimate Google/Skype services? The snapchat app has just flared up here too. I'm using Smoothwall and Ruckus wireless.
  18. Thanks. I forgot that HDMI includes audio.
  19. Hello, Can anyone tell me if the new ActivPanel Touch screens get their audio signal through USB? Or do they require separate audio jack? I know that the older ActivBoard IWBs can use USB for audio, making the audio jack redundant. Is this the same for ActivPanel Touch? I'm going to tender for ActivPanels and need to know what connectivity they need. I imagine it's just VGA + HDMI + USB. Do they also need an audio jack connector? Thanks.
  20. Hello, I'm in the early stages of setting up DirectAccess on 2012 R2. I'm trying to do it the simple way - one server with one NIC and one public IP address behind a NAT firewall (Smoothwall). I'm working through https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/jj134148.aspx, and in the note section it says:- *All* DirectAccess are going to have private IPv4 address behind their home routers. Does this mean using Teredo with 2 consecutive public IPs, two NICS, routing between external and internal networks etc?? I thought this wasn't necessary on 2012 R2? Is this notes section just badly worded and it's really OK to use one public IP? Thanks.
  21. Hello, I'm considering buying an Activpanel Touch to replace an existing ActivBoard 78". Can anyone suggest a recommended size? I see that as the image quality is much better, it's possible to replace an IWB with a smaller touch panel. Price varies a lot with size, and I want to use the smallest I can for a small to medium classroom. Is there a recommended spec for the computer connected to the Activpanel? I've looked on Promethean World and can't see one, other that the mention of an OPS. Thanks.
  22. Hello, I've just had the email to renew out DreamSpark subscription. It appears not that the price for DreamSpark starts at USD 99. I know it's cheap, but is it no longer free? Or am I being dim and it still is free? Thanks.
  23. I've just tried Fields. The written quote (£500 + VAT) was about double the verbal quote. We told them to return the drive at no cost. They agreed, but phoned back 20 minutes later and offered £100 discount. We still said no and they said they'll undo the works and return the drive within 21 days (all as stated in T&Cs of course). It only took me 1 day to send it to them and they take 3 weeks to return to us. I'd also looked at Rapid Data Recovery and was suspicious when I got the same spiel from them. I wish I'd seen this thread and also this Fields Data Recovery / Rapid Data Recovery - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums before I'd sent the drive off. It's probably really unrecoverable now. There's more I won't reveal here, but an unpleasant experience overall. A real feeling of being held to ransom.
  24. Pete, What did you do in the end? Did you go with Network or Multi-Seat Standalone licence types? I'm in the process of creating a deployment and trying to install Autodesk and have already got serial numbers from the ARC. When I go to registeronce.autodesk.com and enter the serial numbers, it tells me that it cannot be registered in the UK. My ARC account institution is registered is the US (Autodesk set it up during the phone call and I can't change it). I think I'm going about it the wrong way by attempting network licencing I'd probably be better with multi-seat standalone.
  25. Whispercast is still US only - and they check (they say). I've just found this. Amazon.com Help: Whispercast Help
×
×
  • Create New...