sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Our place breaks up next wednesday but im working thursday and friday I bet you're going to have a great week then
-
Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
Following on from 42 46. If there is no power to your PC, don't bother checking any other electrical devices whatsoever and calling the caretaker, call IT straight away. 47. And then when we come down and inform you theres no power, sigh and tut at the fact we dont know the location of every fusebox and trip switch, despite us not having anything to do with the electrics -
Thanks eean, will have a look tomorrow Would be useful for new builds
-
No ID at my place, despite having nearly 200 staff and nearly every day seeing someone and not having a clue who they are due to the size of the place
-
Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
I would also love to put the list up in the staff room but again it would be obvious who did it Definately gonna put it up in our office though -
In my school it goes: NM - Oversees general running of network, manages IT staff, does purchasing etc Network Engineer (me) - Responsible for all technical aspects of network, AD, switches, DNS, DHCP, web stuff, backups. But my boss is the NM, we arnt equal Technicans same as most other places - day to day jobs like reimaging, supporting users, rolling out hardware etc What seems different to most places mentioned in this thread is that our NM doesnt deal with the technical aspects at all hardly
-
Im sure this has been posted before probably, but it is funny 1. When you call us to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it buried under half a ton of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals, dried flowers, bowling trophies and children's art. We don't have a life,and we find it deeply moving to catch a fleeting glimpse of yours. 2. Don't write anything down. Ever. We can play back the error messages from here. 3. When an I.T. person says he's coming right over, go for coffee. That way you won't be there when we need your password. It's nothing for us to remember 300 screen saver passwords. 4. When you call the I.T. Support, state what you want, not what's keeping you from getting it. We don't need to know that you can't get into your mail because your computer won't power on at all. 6. When I.T. support sends you an Email with high importance, delete it at once. We're just testing. 7. When an I.T. person is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in and spill your guts right out. We exist only to serve. 8. Send urgent email all in uppercase. The mail server picks it up and flags it as a rush delivery. 9. When the photocopier doesn't work, call computer support. There's electronics in it. 10. When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at home, call computer support. We can fix your telephone line from here. 11. When something's wrong with your home PC, dump it on an I.T. person's chair with no name, no phone number and no description of the problem. We love a puzzle. 12. When an I.T. person tells you that computer screens don't have cartridges in them, argue. We love a good argument. 13. When an I.T. person tells you that he'll be there shortly, reply in a scathing tone of voice: "And just how many weeks do you mean by shortly?" That motivates us. 14. When the printer won't print, re-send the job at least 20 times. Print jobs frequently get sucked into black holes. 15. When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to all 68 printers in the company. One of them is bound to work. 16. Don't learn the proper name for anything technical. We know exactly what you mean by "my thingy blew up". 17. Don't use on-line help. On-line help is for wimps. 18. If the mouse cable keeps knocking down the framed picture of your dog, lift the computer and stuff the cable under it. Mouse cables were designed to have 20kg of computer sitting on top of them. 19. If the space bar on your keyboard doesn't work, blame it on the mail/NT/ network upgrade. Keyboards are actually very happy with half a pound of muffin crumbs and nail clippings in them. 20. When you get a message saying "Are you sure?" click on that Yes button as fast as you can. Hell, if you weren't sure, you wouldn't be doing it, would you? 21. When you find an I.T. person on the phone, sit uninvited on the corner of his desk and stare at him until he hangs up. 22. Feel perfectly free to say things like "I don't know nothing about that computer crap". We don't mind at all hearing our area of professional expertise referred to as crap. 23. When you need to change the toner cartridge in a printer, call I.T. support. Changing a toner cartridge is an extremely complex task, and Hewlett-Packard recommends that it be performed only by a professional engineer with a master's degree in nuclear physics. 24. When you have a lock to pick on an old file cabinet, call I.T. Support. We love to hack. 25. When something's the matter with your computer, ask your secretary to call the help desk. We enjoy the challenge of having to deal with a third party who doesn't know anything about the problem. 26. When you receive a 30mb movie file, send it to everyone as a mail attachment. We've got lots of disk space on that mail server. 27. When an I.T. person gets in the lift pushing $100,000 worth of computer equipment on a trolley, ask in a very loud voice: "Good grief, you take the lift to go DOWN one floor?!?" That's another one that cracks us up no end. 28. When you lose your car keys, send an email to the entire company. People out 200 miles away like to keep abreast of what's going on. 29. When you bump into an I.T. person at the supermarket on a Saturday, ask a computer question. We do weekends.
-
Surely there hasnt been a film where the characters have been quite as stupid as those 2 though
-
Why are you guys under desks so much?? My trousers last forever Thankfully 95% of teacher PC's are on desks though
-
lol thats what ive always thought. they can wear jeans and t-shirt but we apparantly have to dress smart i normally wear trousers or dark jeans and a school polo shirt, although the polo shirts are starting to fall apart a bit now im starting to wear more shirts to be honest because although less practical they also look less geeky
-
Eat better, eat less and exercise
-
DONT USE IT! It works, but you have to be so careful about removing printers the right way Considering how easy a script is, especially when so many have been posted on this site, its not worth the hassle
-
:?: You don't run regular anti-spyware scans on your PC??! lol, of course I do! Ive just never had to deal with an infection, I never, ever discover anything worse than tracking cookies and things like that So I do recommend software to people, but if its an infection the software cant fix, they expect me to instantly know how to manually remove it, but having not done it before, I dont have a clue thanks localzuk, i'll tell them all that
-
Has anyone had any experiance with getting rid of them? Im slightly clueless, as I am with most virus/spyware infections, because without sounding too smug, Ive never been infected with anything, so I've never had to deal with it myself Basically a friend on MSN is infected somehow and its sending links to all the friends in the contact list, obviously once you click the link you get infected yourself. I didnt click it but some more naive people did. Thing is, it seems to send these links even when people are actually offline, so it seems to be their actual account that is affected, rather than their PC - is that possible? Someone else said when they clicked it, it asked for their email and password (and yes some people were so stupid they actually entered it!) So could it be they just need to change their passwords? Has something just got their details logged and then remotely logs into a load of accounts at once and sends the links?
-
Ive got it running OK off a network share with mandatory profiles (although i need to update them so it doesnt ask every time to associate project files) 2 small problems I get a) You get an error message saying a reg key couldnt be created, something about AUP, anyone know where this is? b)It seems to default to Microsoft sound mapper rather than the actual sound card in the PC. Im sure this could be changed with the profile too but is there any way to get it not to do this?
-
Agree with Lee and halfmad Im very happy to help out when students or teachers have problems with software etc, in addition to the background job of keeping the network running But, I went into IT for IT. I didnt go into it to start planning lessons, because I didnt want to be a teacher. I agree with halfmads point, ICT in other fields dont get involved to the point that the OP is expected to. Obviously education isnt 'just another industry' and there are differences, but to be organising and planning lessons is not our job Secondly, even if I wanted to, I'm not trained on how to plan lessons and how to get kids to learn. In the same way that a teacher isnt trained on how setup active directory. They trained for their career, I trained for mine, you cant just suddenly expect a technician to know how to plan lessons just because the involve IT I am honestly shocked at dhicks responses. I'm glad most others see it the same way as me!
-
I think smartboard was a red herring. It happens on the majority of student machines too. I just plucked smartboard sw out of the air because it was the only thing that had changed recently
-
Im trying to disable Dr Watson throughout the school to at least partly help with my IE7 crashing problem Im following the instructions written here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296 Ive exported the .reg file, and added a - in it to remove the key as stated here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516 and it works fine. This is the reg file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug] "Auto"="1" "Debugger"="drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g" "UserDebuggerHotKey"=dword:00000000 So now I want to use a batch file so I can run it on bootup. I have been using the line regedit /s DrWatsonRemove.reg Which for any other reg file (adding one) works fine. But for some reason with this one (removing a key) the batch file just runs and nothing happens Any ideas? I'm sure Im just doing something stupid, so just putting it here in case anyone can see a mistake im making
-
No, not CC3, vanilla I havent specifically checked if the old versions have installed, but the new ones are definately the ones being used, as if I go to Adobes version checker page, it says which version is installed. OR does this not matter, could old files still be causing problems? I will have a look at those tools, but again this is occuring on hundreds of machines throughout the site, so the only end result might be to reimage
-
Yeah I suppose I will have to try that Its different aged images though on multiple types of hardware. I have gone through all the teacher machines to see which are affected and although its fairly random, there are some patterns. We have 4 main boards that are in teacher machines (or anywhere on site), they are: Intel D915-GVWB Intel D865-GVHZ Intel D845-GVSR Dell Optiplex 745 Now, the majority of those which are crashing are GVHZ's, some Dells, and although we havent got many GVWB's, every single one of those is crashing. But the oldest board of the lot, the GVSR, has no problems whatsoever. Theres about 10 or 12 of them and not one has experianced the problems. So Im thinking perhaps the drivers for those machines arent conflicting with IE or whatever? Im thinking graphics drivers due to the ws2_32.dll errors So I first thought a driver update may have messed up the problematic ones, but as far as I know WSUS doesnt do any driver updates? (although a few months back a printer driver seemed to be updated which caused problems) So, trying to work out how they are related. I really dont know what else to try though. I have done a brand new image for one of the teachers who was moaning the most - instead of installing IE7 from an exe, I let Windows Update install it, and all drivers I installed from the original CD, no updated ones. So far that has been ok, but its only been in since lunchtime yesterday
-
I can see the advantages, but there is still too much software that isnt MSI'able Its easy to create them for some packages but some are so poorly written it would be impossible. Although I could most deployable, the odd package might not matter We have just paid about £5k for Ghost licences though so I better use it for a while yet
-
Yeah, migth well have to try that Ive always used MSI's but its not until recently Ive made an effort getting all the common stuff like Smartboard, Shockwave, Net Framework etc to install through them Problem is some of my colleague are very stuck in their ways, changing something like this could end up being pretty frustrating. Eg they will never remember to not install certain things locally, or they wont trust it and insist on installing things on the image
-
How do you lay out your music rooms?
sidewinder replied to mitchell1981's topic in How do you do....it?
We just use normal benching with TFT's and shuttle base units. Screen pushed back, midi keyboard in front and then keyboard in front of that Bit squashed but works well enough -
Oh ok thats not too bad then, I thought it was going through and reinstalling it all marco yes it was. I can see why it might reinstall if the software had been installed locally
