sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
I assume they were told to for some reason but quite how they managed to get into a fight I dont know...I know they were probably pissed off after the game but still. Although Im sure the ground staff arnt totally innocent...I wouldnt be able to resist a sly comment at the Utd players either Great game tho and cmonnn Chelsea. Im not a Chelsea fan but I want it to go all the way to the wire
-
thats the way i see it, yeah i wipe them so far as windows wont boot anymore, no point doing anything else especially as we donate most of ours, schools wouldnt be so willing to take them if they had no HD's
-
Ive not seen this at school but Ive had this happening with my home PC for a while. if its left on the ctrl+alt+delete screen, it shuts down/hibernates after about 10 minutes Havent got a clue what causes it, but its definately not updates as it happens all the time
-
BBC Flash Streaming (News, iPlayer etc)
sidewinder replied to linuxgirlie's topic in How do you do....it?
Used to work for us, now we just get "There seems to be a problem playing this video - please try again" Both internally and in front of our ISA server...so I think its a LEA issue At least you guys can solve it yourselves -
whole school operating as normal here ...only a fraction of teachers are even members of the NUT Think it might also be that our head, although a really nice guy, is just someone you wouldnt want to get on the bad side of...I cant imagine any teachers having the balls to strike
-
Again a personal thing, my mum needs a new laptop. Its easy to pick ones for work, price isnt SUCH an issue and OS isnt at all since I can downgrade everything to XP. But for my mum its a bit more difficult...Im going to be the first port of call with it so I want it to be as little hassle as possible. So it has to come with Xp, preferably pre-installed but if you had to send off to get XP discs I could settle for that Needs to be under £500 really, and a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. Hard disk space isnt such an issue. 15" screen would be fine. Theres a decent looking Fujitsu Siemens V5535 on Dabs for £434, are they decent quality these days? A Dell one would be ideal but I couldnt see any way to get it with XP on the home users site Any suggestions?
-
Thats cool, I can live with £75/£80 Thanks
-
This is a personal thing, nothing to do with school Got a AG Neovo 19" 4:3 TFT, boxed, perfect condition, just wondering roughly what I should ask for it? Obviously prices have dropped a lot and I see that the cheap generic 19" TFT's are under £100 but the decent branded ones are about £150 Could I be looking at £90-£100 or is that too high?
-
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
ah right ok, cheers -
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
OK maybe not as much of a success as I thought Few sixth formers in on the training day today, and half of their photoshop files have sort of 'lost' their file type and cant be opened by Photoshop. Its not all of them though which is strange Thank god I kept the original folders on the old drive, so Ive reverted to them for now, but any ideas? -
How to install an OS from a .dmg without burning it?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Sorted now, installing as we speak restored it to a partition on a firewire disk Thanks guys I love Macs for stuff like this, makes it much easier -
I have a .dmg image of OSX Server I want to install, but I dont have a dual layer DVD-R to burn it to Theres a few suggestions here which seem to say that if you put the .dmg on another partition or extract it there, you can boot from that partition as if its a CD How do I do that? Ive tried just copying the image to the partition, and also mounting it in OSX and then copying it to the partition, but when I boot and hold the option key, the only partition it lets me boot from is the one with OSX on it, not the one with the .dmg Is this possible? What am I doing wrong?
-
Nah, didnt work...was worth a try though, thanks
-
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Nah I wasnt Just ran it again as root and its worked! Thanksss -
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
oh ffs lol Tried the tar method All copied fine, but again no permissions! I typed: tar cpf - /Volumes/DATA1/Constable | (cd /Volumes/DATA2/tartest; tar xpf -) Anything wrong with that? (btw in case you're wondering I changed the volume names because I didnt want to keep having to put " round them) -
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Yeah its frustrating, keep reading about different things but cant do any of it because we're on 10.3 New server on its way soon though with 10.5 so dont have to put up with it for long -
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Aha I was about to say, it all copied but permissions all set to default...and Im on 10.3 Will try the tar method then At least Ive learned something new! -
How do you copy a folder and preserve ownership/permissions?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Well Ill try the cp method first I cant seem to get anything to copy though, am I doing this right? cp -p Constable Volumes/"Data 2"/Constable I dont get any error messages from that, but nothing seems to copy either When I type that Im in Volumes/Data 1 and Constable is the folder, Ive also created a folder called Constable on Data 2 -
OK if so then I have no idea what that is, the server predates me and I was never told anything except the admin password tried stopping AFP and doing it, still asked for the credentials Not a big problem, server is getting replaced in the summer, Ill have to just live with it
-
Fitted a new drive, copied a year groups folder over, now when I look at each pupils folder its defaulted to being owned by admin. I dont really want to go through them all again, so how can you copy and keep all permissions. I assume its really easy to do with the command line but Im not that experianced with osx yet...is there a GUI way?
-
Hmm well it sounds like a persistant connection but I cant say Ive ever used that in a script in the 3 years Ive been here and all PC's will have been reimaged and profiles will have been cleared in that time so any old stuff should be long gone. No big deal, Ill just use NET USE * /DELETE /Y - didnt know you could do that, was getting fed up of deleting each letter seperately - cheers Glenn
-
I dont know if this is just us or its just a Windows quirk, but with a logon script to map drives, if I dont put NET USE \DELETE before every NET USE drive mapping, we sporadically get the old drives mapped, even though they arnt in the script anymore For example I recently changed the admin logon script. It had NET USE /DELETE before each letter but as the new shares had been active for over a year, I thought it would just map the new ones. No such luck...just logged on and instead of the current share being mapped to M:\, I'm getting one that points to a non existant share and server that is long gone Where on earth does it get this from? I cant imagine profile? The account in question has a mandatory profile anyway, so nothing could have been written to it.
-
Installed a new drive in our Mac server this morning. Without really thinking I changed the name of the old drive (from Data HD to Data 1) and of course it rendered all the share points useless. So Ive been deleting and recreating them, no big deal. But one of them asks for domain admin credentials when trying to save any changes. "You need to log in as an administrator of the domain to change automount settings. Domain: LDAPv3/127.0.0.1" Its on the same drive as all the others and they deleted fine so why wont this? I even tried renaming the drive back to what it was, the mount point works again, but it still wont let me change the name or anything without askign for credentials. I try entering the admin username and password but it wont accept it. Thats the only one I ever use and know. The actual server was setup before I was here. We dont run a Mac domain as such, the clients are all standalone and just connect to shares on the server. Is there any way to delete this bloody share point?
-
lol ffs yeah as if thats true
-
Brilliant...this is going to make things SO much easier....cant wait!
